www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I have a soft magnet an its i guess you could call it warped maybe. Its not flat is the best way to say it. if you look at the flight plate it is higher on one end and lower on the other. I thought i heard somthing on another thread about flipping it upside down and filling it with water and putting it in the microwave but that could be wrong. I really like the disc and hope i can flaten it. anyone have a clue?

Views: 22

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am also unsure about that but unless you sanded it or modified it during a tournament it would be hard to prove.
Would that matter to you? If you knew it made it illegal and you did it knowing you can't be caught you'd be cheating. You'd still get what you deserve.
I think that the rules specifically say that "light sanding" is okay as long as you are not taking a substantial amount off of the disc. I also can't see a problem with trying to get something back to it's original shape.
Socsavvy inquired:
Interesting discussion, but I'm still unsure about what is considered legal restoration and what is not. In previous discussions I have heard people mention using light sandpaper to smooth out scrapes and gashes to get the disc as close to 'original' condition as possible. Is this considered legal by the PDGA? What makes a modification legal vs. illegal? I have heard some focus on the distinction between accident and intent, but I didn't quite buy it...

Socsavvy,

When I became the PDGA Competition Director (many moons ago) I wondered about all the various disc modifications and what impact they might have. So I asked a bunch of experienced players what they had heard of, then tried all of them and a few others I thought of. I sanded, microwaved, boiled, dishwashered, carved , bent, twisted, frying pan'd, sliced, warped and abused discs. I modified putters, mids and drivers. I learned that none of that stuff makes a disc fly better, farther or more controlled.

The only tangible benefit was speeding up the brake in rate-so you could make a disc less stable more quickly than normal wear and tear would accomplish. But breaking in a disc more quickly didn't make it BETTER than a naturally broken in disc and usually not as good. It was also the riskiest way to break in a disc because sometimes it becomes too broken in-irrevocably so.

After that I was no longer concerned if somebody was bending this rule, since it gave no competitive advantage. So if anyone can beat me using a modified disc, more power to them. They can also use Voodoo, spells, incantations and hard wire their heads to Martian spacecraft frequencies.

The rules allow moderate sanding. Using heat to restore the original flight characteristics of a disc does not violate the language or the intent of the rules, either.
Thanks for your answer Mark! I knew you would be able to set me straight on that one. I couldn't agree more with your stance on the issue either. I'm not interested in trying to make my discs 'better', nor to stop anyone else from trying if they really want to. I'm just working on solidifying my understanding of the rules. I played in--and won the Intermediate division--of our club's non-sanctioned "Winter Bash" mini tourney yesterday and I was the only one who knew the correct ruling on a lost disc. (Which, of course, is to re-throw from the spot of the previous throw.)

Thanks again for your response Mark. You're insight is always greatly appreciated...
On a nice day, you get in your car and drive to the nearest place to buy a new one!
___Tab

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968