www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Hello, I have found some great threads on here about picking discs to throw. But, does anyone have any advice on how to set up their bag? How many drivers, mid ranges, putters, etc to carry? Right now I have been going crazy buying discs to try...have 19 total right now with innova and vibram in my bag. But, kind of shooting in the dark right now.

Thanks!

Views: 988

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It really all based on personal preference. Most of us, *not everyone*, carry more discs than we'll ever use in a round.

The more you play, the sooner you will realize what discs you'll want to carry..or which discs are the absolute necessities. My bag always changes a little depending the course and the weather conditions.

And remember, the more you use a disc, the more familiar you become with it. I spent way too much time trying to find the 'perfect disc'.Instead, I now take the time to learn a disc....and have been pleasantly surprised!

What Miss Hallie Said! Get to know your discs! I started playing in March of this year and have accumulated Well over 80+ discs, most of which I do not use, but only Tried because I KNEW I had to have it. Since taking the TIME to learn discs I knew I used and trusted, my bag has whittled down. I am Personally still carrying 18-20 discs in my bag, BUT, I have at LEAST 2, and 3 of some, of EACH DISC. I learned the discs I like and throw well. Now I just carry doubles and triples of discs I use. Long winded, but do what Hallie says! Lol.

In the beginning, you really don't need all that many.  Here's a fairly solid beginner bag with either of the 2 big companies.

Innova                             Discraft

2 Aviars                           2 Magnets

2 Rocs                             2 Buzzzs

2 Leopards                       2 XLs

2 Teebirds                        2 Trackers

That's really all you need in the beginning

I have just weaned my bag down to 8 discs. A forehand driver, 2 backhand ( one stable one understable), 2 backhand mids ( again one stable one understable), a forehand mid, then 2 putters ( one to drive with that is stable and an understable litter for putting).

My bag:
Drivers
Forehand- Innova Ape
Backhand- understable- lat 64 flow
Stable- lat 64 striker

Mids
Forehand- discraft drone
Backhand- understable- lat 64 fuse
Stable- lat 64 core

Putters
Driver- discraft challenger
Pitted- discraft 2011 ace race disc

I find I really can do just about anything with these discs.
Drivers
xDX Archangel

175g - used

Distance Driver

xAscent

168g - new

Driving

xDX Cheetah

145g - new

Fairway Driver

xChampion Destroyer

170g - new

Distance Driver

xDX Dragon

150g - new

Distance Driver

xDX Leopard

171g - new

Fairway Driver

xDX Orc

174g - new

Distance Driver

xDX Sidewinder

167g - new

Distance Driver

xTrak

175g - new

Fairway Driver

xDX Whippet

175g - used

Fairway Driver

Midranges
xStar Coyote

172g - new

Mid Range

xDX Shark

175g - new

Mid-Range

Putters
xDX Aero

167g - new

Putt & Approach

xDX Aviar

175g - used

Putt and Approach

xDX Rhyno

169g - new

Putt & Approach

xRidge

170g - new

Putt & Approach

xSummit

171g - new

Putt & Approach

xV.P.

174g - new

Putting

xDX XD

175g - used

Putt and Approach

Above is what I have collected so far. I also have a Vibram Ibex and Sole ordered and on their way to me. 

So far, I seem to be getting the most distance with the Sidewinder, I have been doing well with the Archangel and Orc on second shots. And I am tossing the Trak and Ascent the straightest on the fairway. I seem to be putting straighter and better with the Vibram putters, although the Rhino does well for me. I can't seem to keep the DX down when I use that one. And, I have a Dragon that I am using near water...only disc I have that I know floats...but, overall, having a great time. Actually had to leave work early just to play today. Not a good round at all. But, still, oddly, fun!

Thanks, WD! I def. want to get my bag down to a science like your's! Clearly from all of your replies, I need to check out some Discraft!

If you have the money then keep shooting in the dark Norm.  I have found it to keep my passion for the game peaked when I discover for myself the flight pattern of a particular disc and how I need to throw it to get that particular flight pattern.  Of course you will find certain discs that you love immediately, others that you just cant get the feel of and still others that you keep throwing and learn to love by the way you learn to manipulate and control the disc.  I have found it easier to learn one particular manufacturers discs since that company will usually make discs for just about every shot you can think of, so if the flight of a particular disc is too over/under-stable then just move to the next logical disc by checking the flight chart and numbers.  I believe almost all manufacturers have a flight chart now and you should definitely be using this as a guide when selecting discs, but I've found Innova's flight chart and number ratings for discs to be the most helpful.  I can't say exactly what you should stock your bag w/(of course you should at least have a good putter, mid range and fairway driver at first), but if you have a good pro shop near you w/ some experienced disc golfers there I would talk to them and ask them to recommend some discs for you based on your technique, strength, experience, age, size, etc.... 

Hope this helps! :)

Thanks, Jeff! It appears we have a similar approach to things we are interested in...the try all and whittle down method. :-) But, better to be addicted to a sport than so many other things, right? :-) I am the same with with soccer. I have been coaching kids for years. My coaches bag has pretty much anything you could need from safety pins, girl hair ribbons, zip ties, ice packs, soccer balls of all sizes, etc.
Thanks, Christian! I tend to have the "go big or go home" approach to new interests. And, DG has really captured my interest. But, just as I now only use one company's soccer equipment for my team, eventually it will be the same for DG. I love the idea of what Vibram is doing and love how straight I can throw their discs, so far. So, I have bought their seven discs. I am doing really well with Innova, but my Innova discs are already getting beat up...I need to try Discraft...and, I honestly don't know of any other manufacturers worth trying. We do have one shop in my town that I have gotten some help from. But, I am learning so much from everyone here, I appreciate your input!

I played Soccer for years until I blew my knees out one to many times. MAN, I LOVED THAT GAME. I was the shortest, meanest Keeper you ever crossed. :)

NOW, Disc Golf doesn't blow my knees up, so I am addicted to it! :)

If you want discs that will last try latitude 64. Their gold and opto line plastics are amazing durability wise.

Here's my advice to you, start with a pair of identical putters (whatever you prefer). Treat them like gold, they are the one disc you will use more than any other disc in your bag. Maybe add a lighter weight beat up understable one for short escape shots and short upshots where you need something that will float a lil longer, perhaps in a tailwind.

Get two midranges, one that's overstable, but still "throwable" for YOU (everyone is different, and discs fly differently depending on the human that is operating them) for throwing into a headwind, and short hyzers shots, then one that's understable for you, for short turnover shots and straight narrow shots plus much more when you learn to hyzer flip.

Get some kind of fairway driver that is understable (Leopard is always been a goodie) for longer turnover shots, straight shots, and also good for when you are standing in a spot where you can't get a full throwing motion (if I am in a jam I will grab something less stable, since I can't throw with full power, and just kind of flick it)

After that, its whatever you feel comfortable carrying, but in my opinion, less is more, and more is, well, a waste.

Also keep in mind that all you are trying to do is look at the "shape" and length of the hole and match it as best you can with a disc that flies in the same "shape" and length. As you throw your discs more you will also learn that you can get discs to fly in multiple "shapes" (throwing an overstable disc with anhyzer so it starts off going right, straightens out, then fades left hard, OR throwing an understable disc with hyzer so it starts off left, straightens out, then finishes right). Find the discs that you are most comfortable with and use them for what they do...which brings me to my next point...

Probably the best advice I can give you is to listen for these words: "I hate this disc! Every time I throw it, the piece of crap goes left/right/too far/not far enough/skips/rolls/won't skip/ etc. etc..." AS SOON AS YOU HEAR THESE WORDS TAKE NOTE OF WHO SPOKE THEM, AND IF THEY ARE NOT YOUR FRIEND, BECOME THEIR FRIEND! This is the person you will be getting all of your discounted plastic from. Let me explain, I've said it a thousand times, people spend too much time thinking about how this disc is "supposed" to fly or that disc is "supposed" to fly. It doesn't matter what the heck a disc is supposed to do, or how Billy from down the street throws his Super Duper(insert random disc name here) and why your disc doesn't fly like his. It doesn't matter, people are different. Heck TWO DISCS THE SAME EXACT SAME MODEL IN THE SAME WEIGHT CAN FLY TOTALLY DIFFERENT! It only matters what your disc does when it comes out of your hand, and whatever it does, you should take note, and then use it for those situations. I have seen discs that were supposed to be understable, that only meathook to the ground as soon as it came out of your hand, and I've seen Firebirds that will only  turn over and never come back. I love hearing a guy say "This disc sucks, I just bought it for a turnover disc and EVERYTIME I throw it it meathooks left." I then proceed to offer to take the wretched piece of crap off their hands, and usually they oblige to part with it, for a fraction of what they paid, sometimes they will be so pissed they will GIVE it away. I then take their "supposed to be understable" disc that meathooks left and use it for, you guessed it, holes that meathook left, since that what the disc is going to do anyway, regardless of what stamp is on it, what its marketed as, or what Billy says his does. People say "This disc is useless!", no, using a disc for something that it doesn't do is useless. The only exceptions to this is if a)you just have flat out too much power for the disc and it flips over into the dirt every time you throw it, or b)it does something different every time you throw it. As long as a disc is comfortable to you, does the same thing, every time consistently, and serves a purpose to you, then use it for whatever it is that that disc does. Period.

Find discs that you FEEL comfortable throwing and use them for what they do. If you end up with two discs that are too similar in flight, carry one and keep the other for backup. Keep it simple to start and you will be ahead of most golfers that carry way more than they need, or 5 different models that all do the same thing when they throw them, it's overkill, on top of being energy zapping dead weight on your back.

P.S. Beat up flippy discs can be priceless in certain situations, take years to get that way, but can usually be bought for a couple bucks from the local disc dude, a good place to find hidden treasure. 

HAPPY HUCKIN!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968