www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Hello, I have found some great threads on here about picking discs to throw. But, does anyone have any advice on how to set up their bag? How many drivers, mid ranges, putters, etc to carry? Right now I have been going crazy buying discs to try...have 19 total right now with innova and vibram in my bag. But, kind of shooting in the dark right now.

Thanks!

Views: 992

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

AH, you sound like an American Jorge Campos! Don't need to be big if you can play the angles and have hops between the pipes! 

I love soccer! Have been coaching many of the same kids since they were 3,4 - they are now 11, 12. Love the game and love the kids and families I get to work with! 

But, yeah, loving Disc Golf! It is my new sport addiction and I am loving it. Oh,  by the way, my U12 Coed team is 6 and 1 this season and third in our league. We play the #2 team on Wednesday night. Can't wait!

You mention your Innova discs getting really beat up. What plastic are you using? This is another variable in disc selection you must account for...the type of plastic. Innova explains it very well on their website. I favor their star plastic for certain discs and champion plastic for others. Champion plastic will last a very long time and it will hold the discs flight characteristics for a long time as well. Champ plastic will also start out a little more overstable at first and slowly break in (maybe 6 to 10 weeks of solid play) while star plastic will often start out more overstable as well but will break in a bit quicker (maybe 3 to 4 weeks of solid play). Experiment some w disc weights as well. Generally the heavier the disc the more overstable and sometimes u can throw a disc harder and farther in lighter weights, but watch the wind cause it will throw a light weight disc all over.
If u haven't checked out the latitude 64 discs you should eventually, and the discraft Buzz is a must throw mid range disc.
Don't take my word for it though..... Just get out there and throw. ;)

I think the best approach is to find discs you like--fly well for you, feel good in your hand--and then carry two or three of that mold from stable to flippy. This might mean adjusting weights, breaking them in, or using different plastics. 

For example, I really like Big Bead Aviars, Archons, Wraiths, Valkyries, Eagles, Firebirds, Rocs, and Comets. 

I carry a beat KC Pro Aviar to putt, a DX BB Aviar to Anny, and a fresh KC Pro to drive with.

I have two CFR Archons--the light one is for hyzer flips and the heavy one is stable enough to throw fast for distance.

I have one Star Wraith--162 grams. It is my long distance driver.

I carry two Eagles that I can use for flick or backhand shots. One is a Champ 11x Eagle that is super stable and the other is a Star Eagle that is straight until it fades toward the very end of the flight.

I have three Valkyries that I throw for most of my drives. One is a JK Pro--Overstable, one is a JK Pro--Stable, and one is a Champ--flippy.

I have one 150 class Firebird that I use for thumbers.

I have one Comet that I use for straight to flippy midrange shots.

I have one Champ Roc that is fairly stable and reliable.

I have found that my game has improved quite a bit since I stopped trying all of the new discs and switching my bag around a lot. These are my discs and I trust them. I don't have the arm for anything faster than the Wraith so I don't bother with Destroyers or Bosses or Nukes.

Barry gives good advice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IAhN81JqYM

I always like to tell newbies to get a few understable discs, when they start flipping them over, they know they are doing something right. Nothing higher then a speed 10 initially though.

When I started It was all drivers and a couple putters, then a mid or two made the bag, now I have more mids then drivers.

I would really starting off with midrange disc, they really help your game, also stay with understable disc, nothing more overstable then and Orc or Wraith until you master them. 

I would say on a day with light wind I would carry about 4 driver, 7 mids, and 2 putters. Keeping the bag light helps me out too. If its really windy out I'll go to 7 drivers, 5 mids and 3 putters.

Set up is, Driver 1 understable I use for right turning shots or straight shots (Sidewinder/Vision) 1 fairway driver for shorter drives (Stalker), 1 slightly overstable I use for most shots (Wraith/Flow) and 1 overstable disc I use for headwind and forehand (Destroyer/Boss) I also may throw in one Max distance driver for open courses (King, Katana, Nuke)

Mids I like to have a few understable (Buzzz SS, Fuse, Mako), 2 Buzzz's for straight shots, and a couple overstable mids for forehand or wind shots (Hornet, Gator, Pain)

Putters are really personal, more then drivers and mids. I use 2 understable putters Omega SS's, and a overstable Banger GT for really windy days

http://discgolfreview.com/resources/articles/discoverlap.shtml

Check out this link for a great condensed version on disc overlap.  It's a simple, yet effective thought process on how to choose the best possible disc setup for your bag! Being written by Blake Takkunen does hurt it's credibility either lolz

You seem to have an interesting selection of discs there. I would suggest paring down your bag as soon as possible. My discs that see use every round are an overstable, straight, and understable driver, an overstable and understable mid and putter. I LOVE trying new discs out, but I would very strongly suggest finding yourself a few core discs as soon as possible and really learning them. That being said, There's nothing wrong with having a full bag. There is often space for highly situational discs such as a roller disc or an overhand disc.
Thanks, everyone for the awesome input! To be honest, the different discs are making more sense now! I will say I am initially partial to Vibram discs due to meeting Steve Dodge and his encouragement in my getting into the sport. I will continue to chew on the great input here. I can see a bag centered on vibram but with discs from more than just innova. Can't wait to throw some other discs!
Totally Agree! I honestly think Fairway Drivers ( Leopards, Cyclones, Rivers, etc) around 6-7 Speed rating are the Greatest 1st Drivers. Definitely Nothing over 9-10 speed to start though.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968