www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I have been a Discraft user but recently filled the bag with Innova. Today I finally finished the collection with a 174 KC Pro ROC.
From looking at the specs (4,4,0,3) I figured it would be a stable straight flight with a nice fade at the end. But when I threw it for my tee shot on a 270 foot hole it totally flipped anny and dived to the ground. (I released it flat with a medium height). It happened again on two other shots. There was a slight breeze form the left and I throw RHBH.
My ESP Buzz would stay pretty flat when thrown the same way. Is there a "secret" to throwing the ROC or does it tend to play more like 4,4,-2,0 ?
Thanks!!

Views: 668

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hmmm..I throw a 169g Champ Roc. I do two things diff for my mids (which includes a Buzzz). I use a modifed grip (fork I think) Well think of the "Rock and Roll" hand sign you see at a Dio concert ;) The other is I change the angle of the disc depending on how much power I put behind it. So if I want to throw it with almost the same power of a drive. I'll put some hyzer angle on it. Less power, less hyzer.
You might also want to double check your form. It's possible you're turning your wrist over? Just a thought, I tend to catch myself doing that with new discs. Heck I was turning over a Z Drone! or so I thought, but it was just my bad form causing it.
I checked my form after the round with my Buzz. I was throwing flat without turning my wrist over ( I thought that might be it also). I will just play it more like a Comet. Just bummed because I thought it would play more like a Wasp.
The secret is throw the Buzzz.
I use a fan grip when throwing my rocs. The KC pro should be stable. I believe there is a Climo video showing the fan grip along with some others.
The best way to throw a roc is at the nearest trash can! I have tried to throw a few different rocs and got nothing good from it.
I do use a modified fan grip for my mids. not quite the fork grip that climo uses, but my middle finger is out under the plate.
I'm gonna work with it today and see what happens.
I know what you are saying:) I have a stack of different Buzzz. Just wanted to see how all of the Innovas are. I'm from the Left Coast so all of my practice buddies use Innova.
The best rocs are 180 grams i dont know why but the 180's are the way go. remember its not a buzz or wasp it is its own disc flies like no other. If you need a more stable roc make sure its not an ontario roc (made in ontario cali.)they are far less stable.
after learning to throw a roc I went from 930 rated to 980-990rated. Not all the roc but it did help a lot. If you cant figure it out ask your buddies how they throw theirs and try that. The DX ranchos are also stable, great roc and cheep.
I must add. I use to HATE the Roc! Don't take this wrong, because it's directed at ME. Once I learned how to throw better, understand more about flights, and the game. I tried it again. Then the light came on. It's funny you mention the Wasp. Although it's not as stable as a Wasp. The Roc replaced my Wasp. I find it can handle a good deal of power as well as some wind. You could have also gotten a "clunker" Innova has a history of that.
I could never throw mids in the beginning either, partly because I used a power grip on everything. I also found that I was throwing like a windmill instead of straight across my chest with snap. Also, I was turning over my wrist sometimes. Now a Roc and Buzzz are my most thrown discs, at least for winter time and the short courses. Just in case you're wondering I have 3 Rocs, DX, KC, Star Classic...174, 175, 174 respectively. Also, 2 of the Buzzz, FLX and Z....174 and 175.

I know what you mean about the 180 Star Roc, my buddy has one and I love it.

Regardless of what side of the fence you're on, the Roc and the Buzzz are both amazing discs. I use them both and use them for different things.
My buddy has a 180 and it does fly a bit more stable. I worked with the KC Pro today and got more comfortable with it. My only concern was that all of the other Innovas I am using have matched there rating descriptions. This was the only disc that did not play to its description. Other than that I worked out the shot shapes with it and will keep it in the bag.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968