www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

so i was playing my local course today and got to hole 7. hole seven has a walking path about 30 feet to the right of the tee that goes along the whole side of the hole and is considered o.b. the walking path is pretty popular with other non-discing park goers. so today off the tee i threw about 200 feet down the fairway and it curved right at the end (bad throw for this hole) and skipped o.b. when it skipped across the sidewalk it skipped about 15 feet from this old lady walking along the path. it wasn't intentional (obviously) and i shouted heads up as it turned her way and apologized after i seen it skip past her. i have seen this happen many times before, by either me or friends i am playing with, and on many different holes and courses throughout the country and every person has been more then cool about it. not this lady. she preceded to pick up my disc and start walking away with it. i see this(still on the tee-box 200 feet away)and start jogging towards her. when i got closer to her i started asking her (calm and nice still, probably because it was a little old lady)what shes doing with my disc and explaining to her that this is a disc golf course and we were playing a game and i didn't mean to throw it at her. she ignores me and just keeps walking. i am starting to get mad and yell at her that she cant just take my disc. when i get about 20 feet from her she stops and throws the disc down the cliff that is next to the walking path and into the river(coincidentally, it was my river she picked up). i snapped out when she did that. i started screaming at her at the top of my lungs. such  things as what the f*** is wrong with you?!?!?, why would you f***ing do that?!?!? your f***ing crazy etc. and she just keeps walking away and the only thing she says is "you put my life in jeopardy!!" i then preceded to tell her that if she thinks her life is in jeopardy because of a disc flying by her fifteen feet away then don't walk around a f***ing disc golf course!!! she kept walking, and i stopped following her and went to fetch my disc and finish out the round fuming the whole time.

i am sitting at home and this is still bothering me. i cant believe this lady had the audacity to do that! i could understand if the disc hit her and she got mad( because it happened to me before) but i cant even justify it because it really didn't even come that close to her. is she really that miserable that she's gotta try to ruin the good time i am having? like, if you were walking around in the park and some kids were having a catch with a football and the one kid overthrows it to the other and it lands near you are you going to pick up that ball and take it??? no normal person would do that. i really hate people sometimes. anybody ever have something like this happen to them ever while they were playing?

Views: 983

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

When in these situations you do have to take into account what might happen if a disc goes awry. In the two cases when it happened to me, the shot completely got away from me. If this happens to you and your friends on a regular basis then you should reconsider throwing when pedestrians are anywhere close by. We often have to wait a couple of minutes to throw at our course when there is a stream of walkers or bike riders. Waiting isn't what we want to do but it is a better alternative to hitting someone or getting into it with someone. Sometimes we will also ask a pedestrian to wait while we throw if they are coming up from behind. Most are more than willing to pause for a moment or two.

The short course locally has a lot of walkers.

We are very lucky to have the course in the ground.

And most of the disc golfers feel that way, lucky.

Be smart and don't throw a disc when "ANYONE" is near the flight path good or bad.

You both mishandled the situation. The lady was pissed, and you put her in jeopardy. A flying disc at you! 

Come on, put yourself in her shoes.

Why did you throw it in the first place?

Disc golf in a park is a privilege not a right.

The lady has the 'right' to walk anywhere in that park. 

You have the privilege to respect that.

Sorry you lost the disc, but learn from it.

Don't throw a disc, when others are anywhere near!

you all have good points i just want to put this out there to clear it up, I never throw on a hole if there is anybody in front of me at all. it is a distraction to my game if there are people anywhere in front of me at all. that being said, this path is not in front of me at all when i am throwing my tee shot this path should have never come into play unless you completely shit the bed like i did on that throw. like Jim said, if i waited for nobody to be on that path to throw, i would have waited all day and never got to play that hole. and i don't think a disc at the end of its flight that had already skipped twice before it even got to the path would have done any damage to anyone at all even if it did hit them.
and this doesn't happen to me on a regular basis at all(the shot completely getting away from me) 99.9 percent of the time im keeping it on the fairway, especially on this hole. it's not my modus operandi to curse out old ladies either, but i tried talking to her nicely for a minute and that didn't work out to well
getting hit and almost getting hit are two different things.  Sounds  like she is pretty much a bitch.
when i say that it has happened many times before by either me or my friends its because there are some courses(north watertower in Sarasota comes to mind) that have walking paths weaving in and out of the whole course and you can look all you want and see no one and then when your releasing  somebody will turn a corner and come into view and its too late. it was an accident and will always be an accident if my disc comes anywhere near anyone when i throw

You gentlemen need to ask 'disc-o-golf' what happens when a disc hits your face.

He was in the crowd at worlds in 2001. And during the finals was hit in the face, i believe in the forehead.

Cut him severely.

Next time you tee off, be concerned about others.

Anything can happen, a disc can hit a tree and hit a kid, ........

Too bad, sit and wait.

We wait on one hole #17 all the time @ Reed Canal. It's worth the wait.

I'd rather wait, to play a decent hole; than lose the course all together.

Disc golfers, it is not all about us.

lol sorry Jim, I didn't mean to reply to your specific post. I agree....no win situation.

HUNTINGTON BEACH– A woman hit in the face with a golf disc in Huntington Beach Central Park wants the city to cover $550 in medical expenses, according to a claim filed with the city.

Ariana Benavente, 40, of Alpine, filed a claim on Jan. 4 saying a rogue golf disc from the nearby Disc Golf Course hit her in the face, resulting in "internal trauma to the head, nose and eye," the claim says.

Benavente said she was walking in the park on Oct. 17 for a Brain Tumor Foundation event, and there was not a proper barrier around the course to prevent the incident. She was dazed and shocked by the blow and was taken to a Fountain Valley hospital emergency room, the claim says.

Claims are generally precursors to lawsuits. City officials said the claim is currently being investigated and that preliminary information "indicates the that the subject park where the accident occured is not owned, controlled or maintained by the city", officials said.

"I am sitting at home and this is still bothering me."

And it will continue to bother you until you admit to yourself that you should never have thrown that disc, and stop trying to push the blame onto the lady, or the shot, or ....

"if my drive didn't just completely shank right it would never have come into play."

These are the exactly kind of throws that need to be considered when designing a safe course.

"There is also a big difference between throwing when you see someone directly on your line and accidentally shanking one towards someone."

Not to person who gets hit, or even startled.

"there are some courses(north watertower in Sarasota comes to mind) that have walking paths weaving in and out of the whole course and you can look all you want and see no one and then when your releasing  somebody will turn a corner and come into view and its too late"

Then don't play those courses.  And, get in touch with the park authorities and explain the situation, and get the course or walking paths changed.

After this,

and having designed a course.

Most of the issues are about risk management.

I am always thinking about errant throws and how dangerous they can be.

You have to layout a course for projected 'bad' throws.

There is no perfect, each course evolves over time if the people in charge are willing to admit change is necessary.

I like to believe that most will not 'throw' when people are nearby, but in too many cases disc golfers believe that they are right and everyone else is wrong. This is of course the wrong attitude.

There were many 'looks' I would have liked to have seen, but did not create as a hole. A well seasoned intelligent golfer will not only try to make the correct judgement call, but you can not design a public course for the well seasoned disc golfer.

Always have to take in consideration 'errant' throws.

I am appalled at the attitude of I the disc golfer am not wrong, it's the patron that is wrong.

I just don't agree that "you should never have thrown that disc". Sometimes a disc just completely gets away from you and comes too close to a pedestrian. And when we don't have "dedicated" courses where there are no pedestrians around this is always a danger. The City is partly to blame if they design a walking path right next to a disc golf course.

The lady in question did nothing to improve relations between pedestrians and disc golfers. In fact she did the opposite and created a problem that wasn't there. I don't believe that you should immediately get down on a disc golfer for throwing an errant shot unless you have never thrown one in your life. Yes you should be as careful as possible and avoid throwing at pedestrians. But this is more of a case of how others treat us as a group. There are those who just don't like disc golf and would rather we were not there to mess up their walking routine. This is totally a two way street type of situation and should be seen as that. We had a guy walk towards us on the path today and then turn around and start walking the other way. We threw (carefully) because if we had waited it could have been another ten minutes till he was clear again. Not ideal but what are you going to do? And as experienced disc golfers none of us came near him with our throws.

Situations like this are created when a city believes that pedestrians can coexist with disc golfers. It isn't the best planning IMHO.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968