www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

so i was playing my local course today and got to hole 7. hole seven has a walking path about 30 feet to the right of the tee that goes along the whole side of the hole and is considered o.b. the walking path is pretty popular with other non-discing park goers. so today off the tee i threw about 200 feet down the fairway and it curved right at the end (bad throw for this hole) and skipped o.b. when it skipped across the sidewalk it skipped about 15 feet from this old lady walking along the path. it wasn't intentional (obviously) and i shouted heads up as it turned her way and apologized after i seen it skip past her. i have seen this happen many times before, by either me or friends i am playing with, and on many different holes and courses throughout the country and every person has been more then cool about it. not this lady. she preceded to pick up my disc and start walking away with it. i see this(still on the tee-box 200 feet away)and start jogging towards her. when i got closer to her i started asking her (calm and nice still, probably because it was a little old lady)what shes doing with my disc and explaining to her that this is a disc golf course and we were playing a game and i didn't mean to throw it at her. she ignores me and just keeps walking. i am starting to get mad and yell at her that she cant just take my disc. when i get about 20 feet from her she stops and throws the disc down the cliff that is next to the walking path and into the river(coincidentally, it was my river she picked up). i snapped out when she did that. i started screaming at her at the top of my lungs. such  things as what the f*** is wrong with you?!?!?, why would you f***ing do that?!?!? your f***ing crazy etc. and she just keeps walking away and the only thing she says is "you put my life in jeopardy!!" i then preceded to tell her that if she thinks her life is in jeopardy because of a disc flying by her fifteen feet away then don't walk around a f***ing disc golf course!!! she kept walking, and i stopped following her and went to fetch my disc and finish out the round fuming the whole time.

i am sitting at home and this is still bothering me. i cant believe this lady had the audacity to do that! i could understand if the disc hit her and she got mad( because it happened to me before) but i cant even justify it because it really didn't even come that close to her. is she really that miserable that she's gotta try to ruin the good time i am having? like, if you were walking around in the park and some kids were having a catch with a football and the one kid overthrows it to the other and it lands near you are you going to pick up that ball and take it??? no normal person would do that. i really hate people sometimes. anybody ever have something like this happen to them ever while they were playing?

Views: 983

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You shouldn't have thrown the the disc.  You should've left all communication with her as an apology.  Even as you went for your disc, you should've told her you were sorry it came so close. Any left over guilt would then have been on her.  You could've mentioned to her that she wasn't that great at accepting apologies...

The flying disc is your responsibility, her life and livelihood is hers.  She was taking care of herself as best she knows how.  Let it roll.

Weird, I over threw my teebird on a 340 foot hole and hit a jogger in the ankle pretty hard knocking him over. So I jog over there and apologize and check to see if he is okay and all. He gets up and says "holy shit how far did you just throw this thing!?" So I told him about 375 feet and he is impressed, asks about the sport, and then I saw him playing a week later.

DPS, that is the dumbest thing I have ever heard (maybe not but close).

"Disc golf in a park is a privilege not a right.

The lady has the 'right' to walk anywhere in that park."

They are either both privileges or both rights, up to you to decide. But to say the lady has more rights then us as disc golfers? So we are inferior people because we play disc? She may have a right to walk anywhere in the park but she also has an equal right to get hit by a disc if she is walking down a fairway or into between you and the basket as you are putting.

If there is a disc golf course there we have as much if not more rights to throw a disc on that course then she has rights to walk on it.

In this situation neither party is at fault, who is at fault? The city, for putting the path to close to the fairway or putting a hole to close to the path (depending on which was there first). Its not her fault for walking on a walking path but it is also not his fault for throwing a disc on a disc golf course.

"Be smart and don't throw a disc when "ANYONE" is near the flight path good or bad.

You both mishandled the situation."    I Agree.

When we start standing up for our rights to be in the parks or have DG specific parks then maybe people will take us seriously, but until then we will be"frolfers" playing a laughable stoner pastime.

You have the RIGHT to sell yourself short but not the rest of us.

how is he less of a patron?

I agree that you shouldn't have gone off of the lady with profanity. But I don't agree that you shouldn't have thrown that disc. The fact is that you didn't actually hit that lady. Did you come too close for either your or her comfort? Of course. But I realize that is not what you intended. For those of you who say that you should have never thrown that disc I would say that you should come play our course and then see if you have the same opinion. You most likely wouldn't get past hole number 4. And as far as contacting the City and getting them to change things, that would most likely just result in the course getting changed for the worse or even pulled out. We aren't a high priority in the world of Parks and Recreation. I think that in a lot of places we are merely tolerated.

Pedestrians who walk next to a disc gold course need to pay attention. I think that it is a bad idea to even have a walking path next to a disc golf course but in many places they are there. Why aren't there a bunch of walking paths next to ball golf courses? Because it would be a bad idea. I am not sure if the walking path was there before our course went in but it has always been there. You shouldn't come down on a disc golfer who made an errant shot unless you are in such an environment and know what it is like to deal with such situations. Always saying that the disc golfer was at fault is just too simplistic a view. Look at the whole situation. Disc golfers and pedestrians can coexist but it isn't always easy to do so. It takes education on both sides, not just one.

Ive hit old guys with canes, little girls and boys, dogs, squirrels, windows, fancy cars, and various other innocent things.  If there is any chance of wacking someone don't throw because your minds eye will lock in and kill targets such as pigeons and what not.

I don't like to throw when there are people in view because I swear it just makes me focus on them and my disc wants to hone in on them.

On a side note my friend said that a lady told him that we should close the course down for a few days so that she and her daughter could walk through the course and take pictures of trees. I guess that we just don't matter that much.

same here

^bump

Too funny.

Disc golfers don't have as much rights as homeowners do around parks.

The thrower of an object, will always be at fault.

People will walk anywhere they want, especially in a public park.

They always do. How many times have people walked across fairways and are totally clueless?

Everyday.

Whether or not there is a bike path, sidewalk or trail, getting hit is getting hit.

The only time disc golfers have 100% rights are on private courses.

Remember a 'disc golfer' getting hit in the head with a golf ball, yes a golf ball during a disc golf tournament. The tournament that day was on the practice course of a well know private course.

The disc golfer tried to sue the private course! what a waste of time. When you walk onto a private golf course, the course relinquishes itself from ANY responsibility. In a public park a 

'walker' does not sign a waiver to walk.

Disc golf courses can and are pulled out because of risk.

Recently had to move holes around at a local course because of complaining neighbors (taxpayers)

right or wrong, disc golf comes second when it comes to those that live near and around a park.

This is the way it is, and will never change.

Not about selling anyone short.

..then on the other hand,how many discs might have previously come her way or the possible hit."I'm sick of this and not going to take it any more"syndrome and that was what broke the camels back.In Florida there is the "senior age law" that if you somehow "hit" a person of certain senior age they can/will press charges against you,you are then arrested."One must put themselves into another person's shoes so to speak.We certainly have enough problems dealing with disc golfers of our age{s} bracket and lose it among ourselves.Homes that surround parks have some great disc collections in there backyards/trash/collection box to be returned.Sh.. happens ;>}

my two cents.

It's all too easy for us to respond and say what should or shouldn't have occurred.

bottom line is none of us where there. but.. the OP asked our opinions, and you all gave your opinions.

my personal thought is if your going to go to the park for a walk, like anywhere else you should be aware of your surroundings and realize that a kid flying a kite might have it crash down near you, or any number of other things that happen at most parks could occur. not that you should have to be paranoid, but just realize that well.. stuff happens. dont freak if it does.

but as a disc golfer we do have a responsibility. but play enough at enough courses, and as has been said.... sooner or later a shot may go WWAAYY off the intended direction regardless of anyone being in visual site of the intended direction.  but just like that walker.. be ready... stuff happens. don't freak.

to the OP. yeah.. I probably would have been upset also. but let it go. learn from it.

too bad the old lady won't ever post here so we could tell her not to freak out if it ever happens again :)

it's a big planet, but a small world. peace and hugs brothers and sisters.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968