www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I am a right handed player.  I throw back and as well as forehand.  I get my distance driving forehand.  My favorite is the "NUKE".  When I backhand it, it goes to the left.  When Forehanded, it goes to the right.  As of late, I have been hurting myself when I backhand.  So I want to be a full time forehander.  It allows me to see or keep an eye on my target.  I take less steps (generally only two) so there's less chance of messing up, and I drive a hell of a lot further when i forehand throw a disc.  Lastly, I have not injoured myself driving forehanded.

So I am thinking of only being a forehanded thrower.  I know that being a "switch hitter" has it's benefits.  But I think I should find one style and master it versus being a decent "Jack of all trades".

So when throwing right forehanded which Discs are best for...............

Long Distance right

Long Distance left

Long Distance straight

Mid right

Mid left

Mid straight

Thumb

Roller

Tommy

I primarily throw Discraft.  But I do have other disc in my bag like Innova, Ching, Ion, Aerobie, and Millennium 

Yes I understand that I may have to start over.  So you right handed forehand throwers or flickers, please give your input.

Views: 53

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Interesting.......
Backhanding is just such a flowy motion that I can't help but imagine it being easier on those tendons than flicking.

i can relate. i currently play baseball in college and i switched a year and a half ago to all backhand. like you, i was much much longer forehand, but i found i was getting tired for my starts and developing shoulder and elbow pain. the fact is, a disc is much heavier than a baseball, and although it helps to have a strong arm, it's hard to keep forever. think about if you pitched everyday with a weighted ball--wouldn't be very good for your arm.

since i switched, i've learned to throw backhand normally and can get good distance now. it's not the 500+ that i used to get with my forehand, but i'm fine with that. the courses aren't open or long enough in the madison, WI area for that kind of play.

if you want to strengthen your shoulder area muscles, do shoulder raises with canned food. lay down and hang your arms. lift straight up and to the side with arms extended until you get just past even with your shoulder. 12 reps, 3 sets. thumb up and thumb down. standing up, do teacups, vertical, and horizontal raises. if you have access to a cross symmetry band or just an elastic band, do the 90 degree forearm raises with your upper arm shoulder level and your elbow fixed. i did all of these and more when i dislocated my shoulder due to overthrowing on an overstable backhand throw. i was out for the first two weeks this season, but after two weeks of doing this everyday, i was almost 100 percent, but definitely good enough to pitch. if you lift weights, shoulder presses, bench press, curls, and anything that involves free weight arm workouts will strengthen your whole area and better prepare you for the wear and tear of forehand throwing.

hope this helps

Here are my thoughts....YOu are throwing the nuke because it is a bad ass disc, that goes far.  The nuke is overstable, so you are counting on it to fade back and get the big disctance.  In order to throw it far, you are trying get a nice S shape on the throw.  ???? right? maybe?  So in order to get that big shot you are getting way "on top" of your disc, really fighting that stability, turning it over, and then if fades back to the right.   This is where your baseball skills come in.  ??

This is a good way to get distance, maybe the only way to get the distance for some people.

In my experience, this is an easy way to get an injury.  The powere is there, but so is the strain on your muscles, especially your pecs and triceps.  By throwing an overstable driver, you are depending on power and stability to shape your shot. One mistake, like nose up, and you are going to feel it.

My advice,  learn to throw less stable driver forehand.  Learn to throw with more snap and spin, releasing close to your body, elbow in.  When you find the right disc, you will know it.  The goal is to let the disc do the work.  Let the disc turnover and create the shape it wants to create.  This is not easy but it is a lot easier on your body.  

don't stick with the nuke just because it is so Bas aSS, and it is. You might be nuking your arm

Try...a surge, wraith, then maybe a beast or teebird, then try an avenger or a sidewinder,  If you can throw a buzzz or a putter straight , you are on the right track.  peace 

Just keep trying different things, watch different tutorials and golf with people who are better than you. For flicking I think the best disc is the x-caliber star plastic 172-175 grams.

I throw 90% of my shots FH, I only throw BH when I don't have another option I throw all Discraft. 

ESP Surges (Distance, straight to Hyzer, and big turnovers), Tracker (Straight Low lines), Z Predators (Very Predictable always fades back right), Z Reaper (same as Predator but little less distance), Z wasp (straight/Hyzer midrange approach)  Z Buzz SS (Low Ceiling Turnovers, I also throw it BH for Straight shots.)

Thank you.  But what do you mean when you say "turnover"??

Switch hitting is the way to go...if your body lets you.  The hyzer is the easiest shot in the game and with a competent backhand AND forehand you can throw hyzers on most shots.

My body doesn't put up with backhands leaving me with just forehands.  Well, a couple times a round I can throw a backhand hard before my right knee starts protesting but it is had to develop much of a shot or have confidence in it when you can't practice it.

I threw backhand, darn near exclusively, for the first 3 years I played the game but have been a forehander for the last 15 years.  Forehand is much harder to control but much easier on your body once you find a form which works for you.  I try to keep my arm as straight as possible (slow motion video reveals I actually lead with my elbow but I had no idea it was so until I saw the video) and away from my body.  The tighter my arm is to my body the more strain it puts on my elbow but I know lots of forehanders who take the opposite approach (I also have seen a few of them blow out their elbow eventually).  I have consistently played about 5 days a week since I started in the game with few arm problems and none of them severe.

Unfortunately the most common hole design is a dog leg left (rhbh hyzer), forcing a righty forehander to throw anhyzers or rollers on the holes which the rhbh competition plays the best.  Controlling a forehand anny will take years of practice for most players (longer for me) and since righty hyzer tunnels come in all lengths a rhfh player has to become adept at anhyzers with putters, mids and drivers.

On the other hand, a lhbh player who develops a lhfh basically turns himself into a right hander (clockwise spin) and can look forward to all those righty hyzer tunnels.

It is best for everyone to have a workable forehand.  For severe dog leg tunnels (either direction) the only way to get there is a skip shot or a roller.  Rollers are even harder than forehands since the margin of error is even smaller ( and any stick or bump in the fairway can destroy an apparently perfect roller).  The skip however is just a low straight shot with an overstable disc, comparatively simple.

Disc selection is an individual thing, based on power, form and degree of flutter (off axis torque).  Just like few players would be comfortable wearing my shoes or hat, few players would be happy using my discs for the places where I use them.  The key is finding a disc which for you goes straight at your average power in each category (putter, mid and driver).  Once you find that it is easy to find discs which are a bit more and less stable to bend as needed.

Of course, throwing primarily Discraft, like Daddy Dragon does, is a good start.  :)

Nice Post Mark !

I would love to add a forehand to my game, but I can't get the snap.  My forehand literally looks like a knuckleball, with some discs tacoing in mid air.  I might have to make a youtube vid just to share this hilarity.

On a side note I admire everyone's maturity throughout this thread, but I have to say it, this thread has one of the funniest titles I've ever seen lol.

A little variety to add to the game.  I am a lazy athlete.  I like Raquetball versus tennis.  If I miss, I do not have to go very far to retrieve the ball.  But if you play raquetball, you can really add tot he game of Disc Golf.  What I mean is this......

In Raquetball, you end up doing a lot of forehand and backhanded shots and working the feet as while.  If you get some practice in this sport especially the forehanded shot like the "serve", you game of Disc Golf forehand will really come along.  Try it.

Mark,

I gonna stay a "switch hitter".  When I play, I really like th efact that I have an advantage over most people who do not swing both ways.  At my local HOME field of Debary, when they add the extra baskets for a major tourny, majority of them ends up being "Lefty" Holes.  Since I can forehand my "NUKE" and "FLICK", I can tolerate the differences better then the right hand backhanded throwers complaining.  Or if I am stuck in the bush, and can't backhand, I can lean and toss backhanded.  So I'll keep my advantage over the ones that throw only one way.  I'll just have to learn to throw without injuring myself either way.  Thank you for your input.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968