www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

For some or other reason I cant throw drivers in good quality plastic.
Got myself a valkyrie in DX and in went like a bomb. Idiot here has a practice drive and i hit a pole about 1.5 metres away, disc literally has a fold in it. So I ordered 2 valkyrie champions, I may as well be driving with the putter.
Have the same problem with Discraft,
It seems as soon as I go to a softer compound the disc just wont go.
Does anyone else experience this?
As i said it might be a mental thing, just feel like a harder disc will go further.

Views: 17

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well given the fact that your " A DEER " I think that you can throw a disc at all is AWESOME, you should feel lucky, DX plastic is a lot cheaper to buy, stop hitting poles and you should be fine.
I hate campion plastic, I only have one for a overhand shot cause thats about all I can do with champion. Same as you, I can realy bomb dx plastic, something about the grip of it. Im ok with Star but I ussaly stick to Pro plastic for accuracy and distance.
They're gonna be more overstable in better plastics, for longer.
I always buy the DX or PRO-D plastis first to see if the disc performs to my liking. U sually wind up sticking with it afterwards also, better grip and feel.
This is interesting, but it doesn't surprise me at all. Candy plastic (champion, Z, etc.) is almost always significantly more overstable than the less durable plastics. For newer players, this usually means less distance. I agree with those who suggest you should stick to throwing DX plastic for max distance--especially for holes that are long and open, with little risk of ruining the disc with tree/pole hits. (I too throw DX for most of my open-field bombs because of the added glide compared to more durable plastics.) However, if you'd also like a few discs in more durable plastic that are also of comparable stability to your DX Valkyrie, I would suggest trying out less stable discs (on the chart) in Star, Champion, or even Pro plastic. Roadrunners, Sidewinders, and Beasts are all great discs, and come in a multitude of different plastics. Throwing more durable, less stable plastic should allow you to maximize the distance that YOU are capable of while also getting to know a disc whose flight characteristics should be reliable for a significantly longer time. I would also suggest being conscious of which weights you throw, as lighter discs--150s and 160s--typically fly further (i.e. less stable) for newer players.

I hope this is helpful and happy hucking out there...
I was in a mental institute when I was 15... so yeah.. I have experienced that.
I don't think it is a mental problem, but more likely a grip problem. You are getting a better grip with DX plastic. To increase your grip on other plastics, try using rosin or pine tar on your grip fingers. This is legal as long as you don't use so much that it builds up on the disc. It is the same stuff used in baseball and you can find it at any sporting goods store. You will be amazed what a little rosin can do, especially when throwing the slippery Champion plastic. Also try throwing an R-Pro disc. They have an awesome grip without the pine tar.
I know that my Pro Destroyer is pretty much the gospel for me right now. Lots of glide and great grip. I'm trying to "downgrade" some of my discs for better grip. Also, Opto plasic from Lat 64 is much grippier than most candy plastics. The Vision would be a great disc for you, I think.
You just need to "season" the disc. With time and a few tree stikes. It should be fine. I have a Champ Gator, it took about 2 years before it broke in and got a little tacky. Bummer is, once you invest so much time in a disc, it sucks when you loose it!
Appreciate that ANY disc can be learned.
Do not expect anything from a new disc...
instead, take new disc to an open field.
Throw disc and see what IT does.
Apply what you learned, in the field, to the Course.
Rinse, Repeat, Enjoy.
Will you show me how to throw with a hoof?
Do the antlers help or hinder your follow through?
I may have to do the graphics...
I was not aware you were in South Africa. You probably don't play a lot of baseball there. I don't know if they use pine tar in Cricket.
Try using windex on your Champion or Star plastic. You can get windex wipes and keep them in a zip lock plastic bag.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968