www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I just started playing disc golf about 5 months ago. My backhand is not too good and my forehand gives me good distance when its on but its not consistent enough. i want to get better at throwing backhand but i find myself getting addicted to throwing forehand. any advice?

Views: 4

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

hmm i'm not too good at backhand or forehand but those are the two types of shots i use. i found that going to a open field and practicing both helps i usually will alternate between 20 rhbh throws and 20 forehand throws. i've only been playing for just over a month, but i find myself watching the discraft clinics on improvement on youtube and other improvement videos. also make sure you release the disc flat which still seems to be a problem for me in my backhand throws, but the only problem im getting still with forehand is not snapping my wrist enough so its not wobbly when i release it.

i hope this helps a little bit.
When I started ,forehand seemed like the natural way to throw, it just seemed to be the best way to throw a disc. But as I played more I realized you need to have forehand and backhand and some speciality shots as well.Most often, backhand goes farther unless you are exceptional at forehand, and most folks are not.Practice, practice, practice.
Practic, practice, practice. Also if you haven't been to discgolfreview.com they have good instructional articles. You can also check out the Discraft video's that are out there. Finally, if you can. Have some one video tape you throwing. You might be able to spot some flaws while being taped.
haha, thanks. its my favorite disc and it just made sense
I find the opposite to be true in most people. Forehand provides more power but backhand more accuracy.
Start yourself with a midrange or putter like a Comet or buzzz and throw those backhand. As you throw the disc will tell you what you are doing wrong if you know how to read them. So here is a bit of how to speak disc.

Disc hyzers just after release. you left the wing pointing at the ground.
Disc flies up after release. You left the discs nose up
Disc flies hard right (rhbh). you either grip locked or overpowered the disc. Figure out which and try it again
Disc flies straight at the ground. you release with the nose down.

There are many causes for each of these. One problem could be your release point if you are releasing all over the place you will have just about all of these problems. Another common cause is balance or lack thereof. Try this while standing still. Once you can throw it straight then try it by pointing your heel at the target and taking a step. If you get this down try a run up. Don't expect to be good overnight remember to practice early and often.
I think over-all the longest throws are backhand. I don't think any distance records have been set with a forehand, I could be wrong though. And sometimes I find it easier to thread a needle between two trees or a small opening with a sidearm if its pretty close.
Use your toe and your elbow.
Just had to say it because it rhymes, sing it.
Go throw your discs in an open field until the little light bulb over your head starts to shine!
Just like Ball Golfers go to the range and hit buckets of balls.
And then over to the chipping area to learn short control shots.
And practice your short putts at home with a practice target.
Like ball golfers that have the little green electronic ball returner in their offices!
Yes, you have to pay your dues, take your lumps, and do your time.
ALL of us came from there, Everyone!
Now stop reading and go learn your plastic....

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968