www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I started playing about 6 months ago, and recently have gotten more into it since I have more time during the summer. I've started working on my putting, and I just can't seem consistently make those easy putts. I used to be the kinda player that wouldn't even try outside of 10 feet, but since that is not going to get anyone very far, I've been working on my under 25 foot putts. I went outside today and said "I'm going to make 5 putts in a row." This was from my estimate of about 15 feet. I never even got 4. Sometimes I even miss 7 foot putts. I think its in part because I am not relaxed about it, when I am relaxed I can always make it, I even tried not even looking at the basket until I was throwing and I was more consistent like that because I was more relaxed and natural. Does anyone have any tips on how I improve my putting?

Tags: putting, terrible

Views: 69

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

One thing that Mr Ellis stressed in his putting confidence video is that you need to build confidence by practicing making putts. It doesn't help you if you go out and miss the majority of your putts during practice. It may look or feel foolish but start practicing from a couple feet away and make 100% then move back a step or two.... progress like that till you find that your missing too many for comfort.

Everyone has really hot days where they can't miss and really cold days where they miss easy putts so don't get too down on yourself.

Watch the putting confidence video on youtube by Mark Ellis and Discraft its good insight. I bought 3 new magnets right after that and began to apply his advice to my practice regimen and my short game is drastically different.
My advice would be to learn to drive so well that you don't need putt because your close enough to set the disc in every time.

granted this is impossible but the better you are at driving the easier your putts are.
I wasn't actually serious, but I guess some of you thought I was. sorry for not make it clearer that my advice was a complete joke and wouldn't be worth trying.
jrmy is a effing idiot
I think he(jrmy) was kinda kidding. but it is true,haha.

practice,practice,practice.

putting takes the longest to get good at IMO.

almost anyone can pick up a disc and throw it right off the bat, but putting takes time to master, let alone get even decent at.

you said part of it yourself. your not relaxed.

have to learn to drown the world out and focus on that chain and just throw it in. have to be confident.

and it wont happen overnight.
so practice.

best advice I have received was from climo and ellis.

hang in there!
Relax, you just started. I couldnt hit a putt with confidence untill about 2 1/2 years in.
The key to getting better is the willingness to change. After only playing 6 months, your game should be constantly evolving, tweek your form, try new grips, different discs. watch the pros, or the guys on your course that CAN putt. Ask them to show you excactly what they are doing. It sounds like your on the right track. Don't beat yourself up, this game is tuff!
Try a turbo putt. They seem to work very consistently at closer ranges. I still run more traditional putts from further away.

here you go this video with make you a much better player
I couldn't agree more. I quit normal putting 4 years ago and switched to turbo. Yeah, I'm the only one who uses it as a regular putt from 60 feet in every tournament I play in, but for me it's much easier, and pointing is easily one of the strong points of my game. I had a pro recommend I stop using it about a year ago, which only made me want to get better at it; and better I have gotten. On a good day I can putt as good as anyone I've seen 50-60 ft. and in. All turbo baby! Could be the best thing I've ever done for my game since I sucked at putting like you before I switched.
Turboing just feels like a more natural motion for me than a backhand putt. Putting from above the basket also seems to mean that misses don't go as far.

I find that getting my fingers onto the rim to generate some spin is critical. Watched a video on youtube where the guy had the disc almost down to his knuckles which seems like it'd create a helluva weak turbo.
By that I mean don't have the disc halfway down your fingers. I usea pointer finger on the bottom of the outside of the rim, and the rest fingers on the rim just at that first knuckle. This definitely eliminates a lot of variables that I could have messed up.
Practice, practice, parctice. Just take 30 to 60 min a day and you will see a diff, but a consistant routine is important as well.

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968