www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I've been throwing Valks about the last two months of last season, and all of this season so far. Before that I had only been using a leopard which I still love as a fairway driver but needed some more distance. The valk was the definately the right choice at the time as it gave me a good 75ft over my leopard the first time I threw it.

Recently though I had been turning over my valks a lot. I had two at that point a 150g champion(my favorite disc in the past), and a 166 star. Someone recommended that I move up to a wraith if I was turning over my valks because it was more stable so I bought a 168g pro wraith. I love that disc I just don't think I have quite enough power to throw it properly.

I have had a few pretty good throws with it the furthest of which flew about 10-15ft past the opposite goal post at the football field where I practice throwing. It doesn't have lines on it so I have to estimate but my conservitive setimate from goal to goal is about 340ft. It might be more like 360ft if the posts are supposed to be at the back of the end zones but I assumed them to be put in the middle. Long story short I was amazed because my valks usually fell about 20ft from the goal post.

So the wraith was my new favorite driver... for about a week. I was throwing my valks flat before, and during one practice round I accidentally put a little hyzer on my 166g star valk and it fliped to flat and parked itself right under the other goal post. I now know that this is called a hyzer flip and that I was a total idiot not to know what it was. The thing that surprizes me most is that I can do it consistently on every throw.

Now here is where the fun begins. I just recieved in my set of glow innova discs all at 175g a valk, roc, and aviar. well I threw the glow roc and it fell about 20ft short of the goal! You can visibly see that the glow roc has way more glide than either my dx, or KC pro rocs. Then I threw the glow valkyrie! HOLY CRAP! I can throw it so far! One of my drives with that disc scored a field goal and kept sailing about 80ft past and over the walking path! I cant say enough about this glow plastic. Its gritty and grippy and you can just see that it gives discs SO much more glide!

Anyway, thats my little story. Hope you enjoyed.

Views: 1

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I love my Valks. I'll have to find a Glo to try out now!
I recently went back to Roadrunners. Same story as yours. Throws long & sweet!
You should try a beast, similar flight characteristics to a valk only a little faster. Wraith is both faster and more overstable.

I have a hard time throwing valks due to the inconsistency between runs. I had got 3 new ones and they all flew different from each other but always threw he same line. Not a big fan it is almost like having 3 different discs.
Valks! Yes! I guess Im a isiot as I have no clue how to get a disc to flatten out from a hyzer release. But my Valks have always been real straight fliers. Any advice on how to get the hyzer flip?
I had the same issues with my Valks, I took some advice on these forums and got a new max weight Valk. Turnover problem solved!
The more snap you put into it and higher arm speed will induce more flip
All my valks have always been max weight.
That's so funny! I just went back to throwing the Valk last week when hubby added a Star 150 to my bag. I LOVE it and finally got it to turn over for me. Yeah, baby.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this... For the longest time nobody responded to this post lol. I thought you all thought I was retarded.
Mine is SOOOO Sweet!!! I went out throwing again today and consistently punched it pver the entire field on every throw.

I'm glad I tried the glow plastic.
Just because some guy got it perfect and threw it 820' does not mean it is the best disc golf driver on the planet, but it is a nice driver. I don't think you really grow out of a driver, you just add a new club to your bag. Every club has its own purpose. Use the club to your own advantage, if you can huk it 820' straight on, go for it, if you can huk it 300" straight on, go for it. Everybody can do their own magic on the right shot. You just need to know what YOU can do with it and use it to your full advantage.
I'll have to try that. The reason I haven't is because the marshall st. guide has the beast as a little more overstable than the valk and the same speed. I konw its only a help guide though not an exact one.

I have a champ orc 173 on the way now because of all the good things I've heard about it. What do you think of them?
Yup... Its all about snap. I think the reason I've been throwing so far lately is because My buddy and I were playing catch with a dx birdie and we had to put so much snap on it to keep it from turning over.

It translated into overall better throws.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968