www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

thanks for the killer resonse to this thread, i'm lookin further into a few things about some of the cities but the best responses i got were ann arbor, charlotte(where i currently reside) and portland (getting the most reccomendations...

i wanna see some opinions on the best cities in the USA for discin
(sorry gotta stay state-side due to pending legal obligations)
I want a top three if you got them, then (depending on response) i wanna see if we can get a little vote and decide where my next move might be....

Views: 8

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am a Michigan native, living abroad, and I'm not hearing a lot of support for Colorado! :(
While I can't say that any of Colorado's courses can compete with those in other states, we do have a butload of courses (72, mostly on the front range) and a butload more people to play with, since our communities contain some of the most active people in the country. CottonWood Creek in Colorado Springs has become so over-run with casual golfers, that more serious local players go to either Helwlett Packard, Sakuna Pines, (w/750ft par 5) or Widefield's pro-level course. We even have league play that goes on through the winter!

Aside from any other resons, my real top three for DG cities would be

1. Ann Arbor (as much as I despise downstate MI)
2. K-Zoo (again)
3. Northwest Denver
i gotta mention Kansas City again. world class golf courses with plenty of variety and the best BBQ on this earth.
Eugene OR, Due to it's central location and some killer courses near it. Cool college town and fairly cheap living. Seattle WA area. Tones of courses. Cost of living kind of high. Santa Cruz CA, De La Vega is a pretty sick course. Cost of living $$$$ However, once you go north of CA it gets pretty wet and gray, but NO SNOW!! Hope this helps.
Yes, in NE Illinois we have a bunch of DG courses all linked pretty close to each other. Plus you have Wisconsin and Michigan which are pretty close too. The midwest is the place to go, not to mention the challenges our windy city and its seasons have to offer.

George Anthony III said:
I live in Alabama now, but I used to live in Joliet, IL. Last time I checked there's about 17-18 courses within a 15 mile radius of Joliet. You can't find a course you like there YOU DON'T LIKE DISC GOLF! So defenitely there!
The Dallas / Ft Worth metrolex is a great spot for disc golf...I grew up and learned to play there, so I'm a little biased...but personally I'd probably go with Austin. Fewer courses within reasonable driving distance, but more higher-caliber courses and you're still only a few hours from the other big DG cities in Texas. Aside from the golf, Austin is just a fun place to be with lots to do.

I haven't played in any of these cities, but based on what I've read and been told, my other 2 would probably be:
Charlotte, NC
Portland, OR
As with Rusty and Bill, I love the variety and raw number of courses that Dallas/Fort Worth have to offer so without my bias, here's my list.
Also, because I'm not really fond of the cold winters with the snow and all, I'm going to rule out three great states for disc golf in Oregon, Wisconsin, and Michigan.
For almost the exact same reason, I'd have to rule out Denver although I love me some mountain golf, if I could just grow a white coat like a mountain goat, I'd be set there.
The cost of living would rule out another great state in California as they have so many beautiful courses there i couldn't recommend a city anyway.
I also love the courses in Florida as I used to visit my late sister there and could always find a group of friendly golfers there too.
So, now that I've effectively ruled out most of the really great places to play, here's my three.
St Louis, Missouri
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Kansas City, Ks/Mo
My zip code 55077 and several near me are the only ones in the World with 100 courses within 100 miles and 50 within 50 miles. Enter a zip code in the PDGA Course directory search to see. This is home of the oldest state club in the country. I'm looking at our preliminary 2009 schedule with 71 events spread thru all 12 months and 32 will be PDGA sanctioned. And more will be added. And that doesn't include leagues all year-round including the most extreme in the country going on now on Tuesday nights regardless of the weather. It was -30 this week with 5 playing. The Twin Cities also provides access to about 1/3 of the Wisconsin and Iowa events within 3-4 hours away and all of them within 6 hours. Minnesota and the Twin Cities are always in the top five of several quality of living rankings (other than taxes).
F L O R I D A - Home of the Champ!
South Lake Tahoe - CA
Roseberg - OR
Bowling Green - KY
Chuck,

That's really cool that you have some many courses so close. you must really enjoy them.

Oh, by the way, there are a bunch of people out playing night golf tonight, since it is 61F at 8PM, and there will be a bunch of people out playing tomorrow, with lots of minis and other action.

What's the DG scene like there tonight, and what do you anticipate tomorrow?
Nothing tonight but our regular ChiliDog league at Kaposia starts about Noon tomorrow while I'm heading south to Chicago on the way to Toledo for Xmas. My Super Class league starts Sunday, Jan 4th and runs for 10 weeks at a different course each week. Several 'real' Ice bowls on the schedule in January.
Ann Arbor, MI
Charlotte, NC
Portland, OR

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968