www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

1) For a 300' arm what is you suggested disc for heavy tailwinds?
2) Is lighter better for tailwinds?

Views: 8

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

A 170 Star Valkerye !!!!!
Star & Champ Valkyries have proven to be good tailwind discs. They're fast and the tailwind will give it more low speed fade they don't normally have. A Champ Beast is good & will give you more stability.
I was dealing w/ 22-30 mph and it seemed everything i threw was overstable, even my 170 roadrunner! I was trying to release flat, which is hard for me cuz i anhyzer to a fault
On the other hand into that same 22-30 mph headwind i was finally able to throw my domey 175g 1st run boss 330+, which is an accomplishment for me...
I like to use a 150 flick in for a tailwind, some times i use a 167 champion beast. I guess it just depends on the hole, but I find (for me anyway) that I get more distance from a lighter disc in a tailwind.
I have a164 Star SL, but Star plastic seems to play way overstable.

Do you want more Glide?

Red Line Disc Golf said:
I like to use a 150 flick in for a tailwind, some times i use a 167 champion beast. I guess it just depends on the hole, but I find (for me anyway) that I get more distance from a lighter disc in a tailwind.
Pro Wraith 172 works for me.
I recommend giving your disc more height when throwing with a tailwind. This will allow for compensation of the forces pulling down on your disc. Most players release with a natural slight upward nose angle. To allow the disc to push down on the air beneath it and push up and forward. When there is extreme winds from behind the disc is pushed down on the backend more than usual. This pulls the disc to the ground faster. If you release the disc a little higher in your sights it will fly through the desired route. It takes some trust and practice in the fields. I learned a huge amount throwing at this years Big D in The Desert. It's just you, the wind and the desert out there. The discs don't lie in how they react to different wind conditions. The best winds for distance are from the players an-hyzer shoulder. About 8 o'clock for a right handed thrower and 4 o'clock for a lefty. Nose angle relative to wind direction combined with RPM is the key to getting more distance. Does that make any sense?

Andrew Rich
Team Innova
Roots Roc Reggae
www.purediscgolf.com
downwind, given no ceiling (because you need to give it a little more air), midranges can be effective with more predictable results -- I use a Buzzz but for Innova, an Ontario or beat-in Rancho ROC would fit the bill. Throw smooth with good snap, you need the spin to stay aloft.
throw a 165-170g z Glide. Believe it or not, you'll probably get more distance with it downwind than your roadrunner. Midranges can go a long way down wind. Give an understable mid a try...if a friend has one to try out, all the better!
A faster disc with more glide will naturally fight the wind weather your throwing into it or with it, Its like Pure Disc Golf said you need to throw it on a slightly different line then you normally would so that the disc will elevate and have the opportunity to work but a light and fast disc with a tail wind will carry much further then a max weight in those types of conditions.

Tony said:
I have a164 Star SL, but Star plastic seems to play way overstable.

Do you want more Glide?

Red Line Disc Golf said:
159 - 161 Champ Orc's fly a country mile with a nice tailwind.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

2014 ACE RACE PLAYER PACKS ?

Posted by James Banevicz on November 23, 2014 at 4:41pm

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968