www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I started playing DG in March of this year. I threw ONLY Innova discs till recently. I thought I was doing ok, but I felt like I should be able to consistently throw farther and more accurately. After throwing Lat 64 and Discraft discs, I have a mixed bag. 

It VERY MUCH seems to me that the LAT 64 AND DISCRAFT discs that may be rated EXACTLY (or VERY close) the same as Innova's discs are so much EASIER for me to throw with consistency. I don't understand why. I have quite a few discs that are comparable ratings to Innova's 10 Speed drivers (Flash, Surge SS, Avenger SS, etc.) . I CANNOT throw an Innova 10 speed driver. Period. Not even the Monarch (their most UNDERSTABLE 10 speed driver) would leave my hand and not Hyzer out immediately. But my Discraft discs fly Perfect. I am even turning over some of the more understable Discraft discs. I don't get it.

What makes such a difference in BRANDS of discs that may be rated the same speed/glide/turn/fade that one brand is not throwable for a person, but another brand is? If it was ME, NONE of the discs would fly right, regardless of brand, right?

I may be digging to deep into this and should just live with use what works, but I am really very perplexed by it... Seems WEIRD. The ONLY 2 Innova discs I have left are my BEAT Star Roadrunner (which flies PERFECT) and my "Yeti" Aviars which friggin' rule. Other than that, I am Living on Discraft and Lat 64 now, cause they DO fly how they say they will, for me anyway....

Views: 1690

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well just think about it Jeff. Now you'll have to buy a bunch of discs. Just to make sure you have the right ones for you.....Heck it worked for me ;)~ I may be broke, but now I know what discs work for me TODAY lol!

I throw all 3 brands and find that plastic flies about the same within 'runs' but if it's 2 different runs, then there can be bigger differences.   I prefer Innova drivers overall but have nukes & surges in the bag plus a Lat64 gold line Stryker from time to time.   The Discraft discs you mentioned are known for flying straight with moderate snap.

Put the Innova drivers on the shelf for now and try them 6-12 months from now.    As your game evolves, the plastic you throw should evolve with it.  A disc that is too overstable now may be perfect 12 months from now.   Once you start regularly flipping over a disc on a full throw, it's time to find a more stable disc or at least a newer version of that disc.

Ha!
I always found the innova star plastic to fly more true to there flight numbers (except the katana), Champion always seemed more over stable to me. Really that's the same with Discraft too with the ESP and Z.

How did ya like that nuke I sent to ya, hoping it was beat up enough to throw.

Your Katana has found my tournament bag and soon to be dyed. I was shocked how good it flies

I recently came back in to DG after a few years not playing and had to replace all of my old DX plastic. I can only throw Innova. The Vulcan I can flex about 350 but my Nuke SS won't flex at all. My main driver is the Sidewinder, I carry 3 from 150 - 170 weights.I have found that the Star plastic is the most consistent for me.

I recently bought a Z-Glide and that one my be the one Discraft I can throw. I really like the flight path of that disc when I throw it on a long graceful anhyzer. It holds a consistent line all the way down range.

I only carry 12 discs and have gone through about 30 molds to find what works best for me. Beast, hate it. Monarch & Roadrunner, sucks. Nuke & Firebird, to over stable.

One of the problems is I don't think Discraft or Innova get Rec or low end Ams to throw their plastic when testing them. So when they rate a high speed disc as easy to turn over when 400+ arms are flinging them around when a 250' thrower gets them and can't control the flight it is very disheartening.

Sounds like me, you should try a "Pro" Katana for distance. Buy one around 165-167g should fly good for you, break in time is rather low for the pro plasic too. Once broke in they fly almost the same as star sidewinders.
I have only thrown the Nuke you sent once. I am gonna work with it more this week though. Glad the Katana is working for you!
Like people every discs is different. I build a relationship with each disc, once a disc starts working for me it has a place in my bag. if it is lost, a replacement  ( same color , plastic and weight ) is not a given. Marvin # 7044
I am not brand loyal by any means.  That said, I think Discraft has the best finish quality right out of the box.  You can tell that they go the extra step to ensure that their plastic feels great in your hand from the onset.  Innova makes some really nice drivers.  They have so many different choices that everyone should be able to find something that works for them.  IMO, they probably have too many disc choices, but that is a seperate discussion.  Gateway makes some nice putters, and their inconsistency is part of the reason that they are so successful with them.  It is sort of like looking through a jar full of pennies for that one particular mint and year.  Once you find the right one, your putting confidence goes through the roof (try an evolution Voodoo)!  I haven't tried any Lat64, Discmania, or any of the other new companies stuff yet, but I will get around to it eventually because everyone deserves a chance, right?
Lol. I am with you Greg. All the new companies are COOL, but I agree with you on Discraft. They throw better for me than anything else I have tried yet.....

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

2014 ACE RACE PLAYER PACKS ?

Posted by James Banevicz on November 23, 2014 at 4:41pm

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968