www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I've been playing dg for about 5 weeks.  My average drive is 200 feet.  I do not care if I have a noodle arm, but what I don't need is disc golf keyboard elitists spouting off about "noodle arms with their Katanas and Grooves".  Show some support.

On the course do you see somone learning and say "fuckin' noob, learn how to throw an Ape, stop throwin' that Nuke you fucking bum"?  No.  Nine times out of ten an experienced dg'er doesn't care, he's more than willing to give tips, and he could not be a nicer guy. 

But behind the keyboard some of you guys are just complete elitist pricks.  You probably exaggerate your drive distance, tell fake stories about aces you've never made.  I don't know if these things are true, but the way you act certainly leaves a person with any semblance of rationality to believe so.

Some of you behave as if you don't want this game to grow.  Like being above the "noobs" gives you some kind of status.  Well, it doesn't.  Your just a disc golfer.  Like me, the 5 week novice with the 200 ft drive.  We both love the same thing, but your need to feel some kind of false superiority is preventing you from identifying with me because of the anonymity offered by the internet.

Treat us newcomers and novices the way you would have wanted to be treated when you were starting out.  I highly doubt most professionals would have this negative attitude towards new players, because they love the sport enough to want to see it grow.  You should too. 

Moral:  Don't be dicks, give us noobs some tips.

Thank you.

Views: 29

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Dude, I remember when I could only throw a disc 50 feet. Me and my boy scout troop went out to de la veaga on a day trip, and it was mostly the punk idiots throwing their beer cans everywhere and smoking on every hole who would scoff at our throws. People who were really there for the love of the sport were giving us pointers and telling us how great it was to see kids trying out disc golf and enjoying themselves. So you just have to remember that people who give you grief for not being good aren't worth your time. And if you've only been playing for a few weeks and can make a 250 foot throw, then you're way better than most beginners. My girlfriend has been learning for a few months and she can't throw further than 100 feet.

I'll jump in here.  If you're only throwing 200', you shouldn't be throwing anything faster than a Leopard or Teebird. :)

Hey Josh...welcome to it brother.

Mr Star Shark there is one of the really good guys, with tons of knowledge, and he knows some pretty big names in the sport.

He makes a really good point about the speed of disc that you might be using. If you are hitting the 200' mark, getting the arm speed and form correct to hit anything faster might result in poor form development and results. Of the two discs he suggested, I may lean toward the Teebird; if you all of sudden start catching on and gaining distance, you'll be able to get more life out of the Teebird. The Teebird is just one of those crazy discs that everyone has in there bag, from beginner to pros. They are relativly easy to get up on plane, they are hard over flip, and they are true to there flight numbers, giving you good feedback on what is going right or wrong with your throw.

Good luck and keep asking questions, we'll help weed out the junk.

Everyone was/is a noob.
Not everyone uses the f bomb, sexual, and homosexual slurs on a family friendly dg message board.

I think your judgement may be more of a factor then time playing.

I agree 100%. It's really a "catch-22". I play on free courses and for the most part people take care of their own trash. Sometimes I do run across trash, cans, bottles, etc. as well as damage to small trees, spilled over trash cans, etc. I also run into large groups that shout foul language, move slowly, and obviously don't care that they are holding up many people behind them, and refuse to allow people to play through.  I just think to myself that these people should be shot for being so disrespectful.

On the other hand, I also play at a few "pay to play" courses and the course is immaculately maintained and the ranger patrols the course to keep an eye out for littering and for idiots that don't pay their fee. I don't like the fact that I have to "pay to play", but I certainly enjoy not having to deal with idiots.

I think there will be a major divide in the next few years, similar to the difference between public and private ball golf courses. "Pay to play" does tend to keep the rif-raff away.

Mr Ed, I know you said you're just having some "sarcastic fun" here but I can't let the false impression stand.  Iowa is among the friendliest of DG states.  Most courses per capita of any state.  And having played over a hundred courses in numerous states I would say Iowa's best courses are among the best in the country.  Check out Wildcat Bluff or West Lake some time if you have the chance, they are absolutely world class.  The Quad Cities and Des Moines areas each are disc golf travel destinations with lots of excellent courses.  There are neglected courses, no doubt, and the OP seems to have found one.  But its not fair to assume that speaks to the DG friendliness of the state as a whole.

To the OP...once you find some other interested golfers through your FB posts, maybe you can start a club or weekly casual league at your damaged course (or at a nearby one in better condition).  Have a small fee each week to play in the league round ($2, $4, whatever doesn't scare people off) and use half for payout of the winners and half for a course maintenance fund.  Occasionally have a work night where everybody brings a weed wacker or rake to clean up the course.  The city will probably take the course maintenance problems more seriously if you have an active volunteer group with a name and a bank account.

Once again, I apologize for my profanity and use of slurs, I was just worked up. 

I actually seem to have my best throws with these discs:  Flat top Roc 168 (for accuracy and nice turnovers), Beast (distance and accurate drives), Discraft Nuke SS (hands down the disc I can throw the farthest. around 220-230). 

One question I have is, is it better to learn to throw it flat and straight or go for the turnover?  Right now, I'm more comfortable throwing turnover drives because trying to just get a straight drive leads to extreme hyzers and lack of distance.  But I can't throw a straight. flat drive for the life of me, even with a Valk. 

Also, I have trouble throwing anything speed 8 and under, I have grip issues which leads to release point goof ups and terrible shots.  I just feel more comfortable having a wider rim to grab onto, 10-12 speed feels perfect, but I'm going to get a TeeBird or maybe just take my Leopard and Gazelle out and get used to smaller rimmed discs.  I might use my Archangel as well since it turns over so good when I don't screw up.

You know what isn't true to it's numbers?  The Katana.  I find it to be more overstable than a Boss. Anyone know what is up with this disc.  The numbers led me to believe I'd get sick turnovers, but it goes straight and fades like a Boss with extreme anny for me.  Probably gotta get some lessons from a pro is what I'm guessin'.

Yep, do not get upset by the rude people and learn form the good! As was already said, it's just another sport, and like all sports there are all types of people, the good the bad and me! (the ugly)

Just go out there and have fun, if some one is killing that fun, find another person to play with, or let them know.... some time the pro's give to many tips and although they are only trying to help maybe they are not great teachers!

Oh and stop throwing that nuke! :) just kidding

I'll stop throwing the Nuke when I can bomb a Katana 400 ft like my buddy Mitch.  He's light years ahead of everyone in my area.  Watching him is motivation.

Do you have a friend that will play a simple game of catch with you?

I have found that if you do that you will get alot of repetition will improve your form and accuracy.

Slowly increase the distance between each other.Hint--use somethig like an Aviar.It will show flaws very quickly.

It sounds boring but I think it will improve your control and power.

Personally I would stay away from big power distance discs for awhile.You may end up developing bad habits,

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968