www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

We've developed a temp 18-hole Lakeshore Gold Course that will be marked on this Saturday only - http://www.discgolfersr.us/events/lakeshore-gold-throw-your-arm - for fun play to see how it works out, with a random draw for prizes for those who throw the entire thing. By combining some holes and moving some tees, we've got 18 holes that total 10,680 feet in length. That's two miles of throwing distance.

Is that too long? Is it any fun to have a 1,340-foot hole that a red level player might take 10 throws to complete?

Finally, the updated map and scorecard!

Tags: ", , gold, lakeshore, , course, design, gold', lakeshore, long

Views: 15

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Its not like its any longer than the original 28 holes it just has 18 instead of 28 holes.
That's a pretty mindless reply Larry. It's not even a tournament, there's zero competition going on- no one's trying to win anything but free gift certificates. It's just for fun. If you have a weak arm you need not play but it's fun anyways. Just because you can throw far doesn't mean you can keep it towards the target, in-bounds, and make a putt.
I think this would be fun if the layout of the land allows for a natural, or close to natural, 2 mile long course. If it's just adding distance for the sake of saying it's 2 miles long then I would think, for me anyway, it would become boring chucking long drive after long drive.
Well, that's what we want to find out on Saturday; what the experience is like for people :)
WOW. Do you have any idea what kind of courses we have here in Michigan? Have you even looked at The Ponds course at Lakeshore? The course was designed by some long-time disc golfers who have true love for the sport. The GOLD layout, as stated in the post, is for fun! The 24 hole layout at the ponds is a ton of fun to play. It is a high quality course with great maintenance and an on-site Disc Golf Pro Shop. I would say that The Ponds definitely does not suck, nor do the surrounding 25-30 courses in the Ann Arbor-Ypsilanti area. Where are you from that you think more throws=more "chances"? If you were to say more chances to screw up your shot, I would agree. But more chances, as you imply, to create a larger margin of victory, is just ridiculous. You are obviously just upset that you don't live in Michigan, the land of the best disc golf scene in the world, the best disc golfers in the world, and the place that has the most fun in the world. You should buy some Scott Stokely videos. Good luck out there with your weenie-arm Larry.
par 4 duh (lol)
haha :)
www.waydowndisc.com/etherbinge/food_gatherer%27s_open.htm

check out this blast from the past. i enjoyed playing that day with you, terry. if i remember correctly, you were a bit hesitant about the concept before the round, but said you were pleasantly surprised after.

mark, i'd love to here your recollections of that day as well.

golf course type courses have lots to offer us. i particularly enjoy the low-schule factor. i hate having to hack through thick stuff and lose discs when you know you were within 10 ft. of where it went. it's also fun to have a cart on occasion, etc., etc.

many times, however, it's very difficult to design a good track with insufficient natural hazards. the yellow rope route is one way to go, but not practical for general play or small events, look at that army they need to get winthrop ready each fall.

we used to have the world's longest course down here at the sarasota golf club at over 13,000+. the course ended up getting pulled, despite having a strong local player base, because it was too long and wide open, even from the "short" 10,000+ tees. the sad part was that there were many opportunities to make that course shorter and more technical, but reese has a hard time letting go of his biases, partly because he can throw 450+.

although i didn't attend, i've heard that the kc worlds this year were strongly biased towards power above everything else. maybe avery would have won on any set of courses, but we'll never know.

BOTTOM LINE: i wholeheartedly agree with the colored tee comment. i think having multiple tees that provide a variety of standardized skill levels is an important feature for courses. even if they don't fit the budget initially, design for multiple tees and install them from the shortest to the longest as the funds become available. also, designers need to utilize the color standards appropriately so that players can go anywhere and know which tees to use. the following document is EXTREMELY useful:

http://www.pdga.com/files/documents/PDGASkillGuides2009.pdf
One of the things that those of us who have designed and studied player's attitudes toward really long courses is that they are more fun to play if there are at least 6-7 par 3s in the mix that can be 2'd. Doesn't matter how many par 4s, 5s or even 6s on the layout as long as you have at least 6 par 3s. The Winthrop Gold course at 10,000 feet still has 7 gold level par 3s.

The thinking on this has a few angles. Par 3s in DG have many more design options and variety than in BG with left curves, right curves, straight, uphill, downhill, tight, open, etc. We also have the ability to ace more often so the joy of buzzing the basket is much more common than skirting the hole in BG from the tee. If our par 3s are designed well, a player at that level will birdie about 1/3 of the time. So, with six twoable holes on a layout, the player has an average chance to normally card two 2s in the round. There's a "mental health" issue that relates to fun that's more ingrained in our sport than in BG where 2s are much less common.

So, you could have all kinds of par 5s or 6s where players take 7s, 8s or 9s and it won't bother them as much as not getting a single 2 in a round. Go crazy creating courses having a par greater than 70. But the suggestion from our experienced gold level designers is to just try and get there with higher pars on the other 12 holes besides the 6 par 3s that are the best you can design.
Well, there is a bonus 2 thrown in there at Hole 14 (although the OB sand trap can blo that up).

I agree. I only had the idea for this a week ago and it's pretty hastily thrown together. There probably should be a few more holes with potential (lucky) 2s.

This is only for one fun day. By collecting the scorecards, with names and player expertise levels noted, we'll be able to do some tweaking for score variation and maybe use this, or part of it, for some future big-time tournament.

We've got 28 blue/white holes so far and are just tapping into the potential of the woods to the South, and once you punch through the woods there is some semi-open area and lake front, with a looong peninsula that sticks out into the lake and is long enough - and just wide enough - to run maybe three holes out and three holes back in.

Such a fun piece of property to play with!
I agree with Mark -- the ideal course has a mix of short, long, tight, open holes. Lakeshore, as it is, has a heavy bias for the distance thrower largely because it is quite long and does not have heavy penalties for long throws that miss the target. The course does make excellent use of the trees it has and uses old bunkers to put some OB into play. Despite not being a long thrower, I enjoy playing it and have succeeded in shooting under par on it by grabbing deuces where they are and playing tidy golf on the long holes.

As for the temp Gold Course and on select holes on the current layout, what would be even cooler would be to rope or stake off the fairways with OB markers so a player couldn't simply go bombs away. The ball golf course that previously occupied the land had white (OB) stakes all over the place because it was short for ball golf and they had to toughen it up.

In ball golf, designers will often put a goose neck in around the the longer part of the landing area with open fairway beyond that to entice the big hitters to try to go over the gooseneck. John Daly almost always bites, rarely will you see Tiger do so unless it's Sunday and he's making up ground or he's positive his normal swing will carry the trouble.
what's wrong with a course for big arms anyways? we have a right to compete against each other as big arms on a course set up for us. this is just for fun. I enjoy ripping endless drives even in the open. that's what this is for. free. win stuff. don't play if u don't want no big loss.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968