www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I think of disc golf as a form of recreation more than organized competition. There is time and place for it to be taken serious by some players. I like to compete occasionally cuz I'm pretty awesome at throwing plastic through trees.( I also believe that disc golf has a spirtual merit that exceeds either priority.)

What I am getting at is...  Should organizations cater to either recreational players or competitive players more than the other? 

Views: 44

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I guess organizations really define competitiveness by their own inception. League play and running tournaments are both a competition by nature. You win something, you try to beat other people. An organization catering to non competitive people is not really an organization... it would be some buddies not keeping score and playing for fun. I guess I never understand when people say they play for fun and keep score.... part of me wants to believe that a lot of people don't get involved in tournaments because they do not have the head for it. It can not be fun in any way for some people to play a tournament. Everyone has their own reasons. I live to compete. I still suck, but hope one day to not suck.
Recreational competition. I play because it's good clean fun.But even playing casual rounds it's still competitive, you want to beat your buddies, or you want to beat the course. The only time I don't keep track of my score is if I'm practicing different shots.
I have never played a recreational round of discgolf. Im just to competitive. The first time I ever played I had the mindset that I can beat these suckers. Of course I lost, but thats my mindset everytime.
There are alot of rec players in my area, they wont get in out tourneys or league but they play all the time. Not sure why. I always tell them we have a random doubles tourney so they have a chance of hooking up with a great player and winning but they never show.
Whatever blows your hair back I guess.
I would love to see more exposure for the competitive side of the game, more tourneys, more prizes, you name it!
If you dont compete or keep score you will never know where you stand. Its like playing tether ball by yourself, whats the point.
Recreational play needs no organization,its always available.Organized play needs a recreational division to intro. players into tourney play. Our club is 90% casual.I would like to do more for our members.Its my belief casual play grows our sport too.
in the words of Al Davis... Just win baby!
Well put...I too, love to compete and hope to not suck one of these days.
Watch Sandlot and you will see the point.
We mustn't go to any extremes but find a middle way...

... Buddhist disc golf
Thanks for the enlightenment.
It's about both. I enjoy playing and I enjoy competing. They go hand in hand. As such I believe that our sport caters to all levels of players.
"I never keep score"
"But how do you measure yourself to other golfers?"
"By height."

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968