www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I think of disc golf as a form of recreation more than organized competition. There is time and place for it to be taken serious by some players. I like to compete occasionally cuz I'm pretty awesome at throwing plastic through trees.( I also believe that disc golf has a spirtual merit that exceeds either priority.)

What I am getting at is...  Should organizations cater to either recreational players or competitive players more than the other? 

Views: 40

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

lol, i love the honesty!
I guess after playing now for almost half my life, I wouldn't call it a rec sport for me like lawn darts or botchi ball. I think if you are going out and trying to improve then it falls under competitive (even if it is just against yourself). That is one of the great/worst things about the sport is no matter how good you get there is always something to work on and improve.
Recreational players and families is how i think of disc golf. A family sport and courses should be designed with this intention imo...
Love playing Tournaments !!!! I also Love playing just for Fun !!!
You're absolutely correct... but what I wrote was "I believe the clubs are actually the ones funding the purchase of baskets (the majority anyway)". The club also pays Pierce County Parks & Recreation for use of the land. I know some of the baskets are donated... a few of them 'In Memory Of' much loved and missed fellow disc-golfers. - I'm glad those weren't stolen. For the record, the club purchased three replacement baskets for the course. Luckily three of the six stolen baskets were recovered. // That being said, Disc Golfers can make a course anywhere they go... without the clubs, DG lives!! I've never met a group of people so caring and involved in anything as I have Disc Golfers. Coming from all walks of life, working together, setting a good example for the kids - not to mention each other. It's awesome.
I think it's up to me as a player, not any organization, to define what is and isn't fun /recreation/competition.
if I'm not having fun, 98% of the time it's my fault, 1% of the time, it's mother natures fault.

the rest of the time it's someone else s fault :)
Are you kidding? I may be misunderstanding how you are saying this, so I apologize. Can you elaborate?
Ya, you are probably right about the club paying for the majority of the replacement baskets.
Ya, we are all impressed with this guys ability to state the obvious. Te he.
It is the greatest thing about the sport. There are always things to learn. Larry Bird had a philosophy that he could always play basketball as hard as he wanted to with any level of player because he would simply work on a specific skill (passing, rebounding, court vision, etc)...
Sidearm, Turbo puts, push puts, approaches, playing with one disc, UD's, understable discs, playing sober, playing intoxicated (in some states), back hands, different routs, playing with people who talk too much, people you don't like, teaching beginners, rollers...
What a sick game disc golf is.
adverse weather conditions, new courses, lefty...
Please anyone add to the list.
Right now for me it's about hitting a $470 ace pool. Isn't that enough motivation?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968