www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I think of disc golf as a form of recreation more than organized competition. There is time and place for it to be taken serious by some players. I like to compete occasionally cuz I'm pretty awesome at throwing plastic through trees.( I also believe that disc golf has a spirtual merit that exceeds either priority.)

What I am getting at is...  Should organizations cater to either recreational players or competitive players more than the other? 

Views: 40

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Over twenty three years, it has come full circle for me. When I started, it was more recreation but then I started playing events, charity and sanctioned events. Now I hardly ever play tourneys, unless they are a charity I support or in the cooler months of the year.
Still competition as I run our two weekly minis but not nearly as concerned about my scores anymore. I still throw a precent decent round when I want as this past week I threw -6, -7, and another-6 last night with a bogie, and -12 in dubs.
I just don't get worked up about having to throw a great round.
Well said Jim,and 2nd what Dave Nascar posted.Full circle will eventually catch all of us,look at the seniors now involved playing the sport{once again/nostalgia} for the thrill of what once was and added exercise into the great outdoors.
They play probably because they love the game. Disc golf is absolutely fantastic independant of competition. There is a connection of mental things with things unconcious, indivuality with the elements that is accomplished with throwing discs. And it's great to improve ones ability to express this connection. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? I'm not a hippy.
Thankyou Trevor.
I think that organizations do cater to all levels in most places. A struggle we are having in our local club is a movement to make our courses professional level courses. This is good for some one like myself with mad disc golf skills, but we only have two courses in our county. Where are all our happy casual beginners gonna play? Ya know? Are the good players trying to keep out future competitors by frustrating them before they develop basic skills? (This comment is not directed towards Jim. Your comment just set up mine nicely. So thanks.)
well played
yes to both. i turn it off and on.
Seems like an organization could have its emphasis on both areas and others to boot, based on member desires. One of the local clubs has leagues, sponsors tournaments, sponsors charity drives, meets with local politicos, has informal meet-ups, meetings at local restaurants, conducts entry level classes, etc. They seem to have as a primary interest promoting disc golf and they address the issue in any way they feel will be effective. Fortunately for us the volunteers seem to be plentiful and inexhaustible.
Any sport can be viewed as recreation or competitive by any participant or spectator.

But if someone is keeping score then it is inherently competitive in nature.

Recreation is a walk in the park. If during that walk you are trying to control the flight of a disc and paying attention to the number of throws it takes then it is competitive.

Playing but not keeping score usually means you don't care or you suck or both.
Show me the money.
As a beginner player I wouldn't know the difference between a casual course or a professional level course. From my perspective, I'd be learning either way. I believe the clubs are actually the ones funding the purchase of baskets (the majority anyway) using moneys collected in tournaments, club member fees and various fundraisers. Nobody I know is involved for any reason other than a true love for the game.
It's not accurate to say that the clubs have paid for the majority of the maintenance/equipment at the Riverside Disc golf course (Sumner, WA). It's probably impossible to determine how innacurate that statement is being that Riverside has been dependant on innumerable sources for it's creation and maintenance. These include: Player and non-player volunteers, local disc golf clubs, Pierce County Parks and recreation, The Boy Scouts of America (and sponsors associated with several Eagle Scout Projects), multiple fund-raisers and donations not associated with the disc golf clubs, and others I am failing to mention. So it may be fair to say that there are many who have invested efforts to keeping Riverside around. Perhaps, even that it would not exist if it were not for both the clubs and non-club help. Clubs don't get to take all the credit.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968