www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Okay your playing a round and a disc flies past you and lands upside down. The name on the disc is yours, a disc you lost. How would you handle the situation?

Views: 2

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

How do ball golfers handle this? ;-)
Speaking of lost discs and found discs, maybe there should be a lost disc forum started, for Lost and Founders to communicate back and forth. Well...maybe the is a forum started already. Is there?
K.
Well...I used to play ball golf and everyone I played with and including myself would keep the ball they found. If a golfer buys a couple of sleeves of balls they usually play them until they lose them and then when there all gone...they go buy more and use them and lose them once again. Golfballs are smaller than discs and are not as personal as discs. Disc golfers are connected to there object whereas ball golfers are not. They have a club in-between themselves and the object ball...so less personal contact. Disc golfers are touching the object disc and useing there arm as a club. So more personal. Plus...one disc is more expensive than one ball
Anyway...as confusing as it may sound...that's my pitch.
K
Pick it up and take it. If my name is on it and my phone number then it's mine. The person is then welcome to offer me something for it.
Once you have looked for your lost disc, and gave up on it, it is an abandoned disc. If someone finds it, regardless of the info you have written on the disc, it is theirs. Finders Keepers. Sad, but true. There are plenty of casual players that couldn't be bothered with calling someone, and arranging a meeting for a disc. It is not their responsibility. It was your responsibility to not leave the disc where you did.

I have the opposite problem. I don't even put my phone # on may discs. I give and sell many of my old discs, with my name only on them. I am amazed at how many find their way back to me. I have now realized that I can no longer give away old discs with my name on them, because they end up costing me a buck ot two to get them back, after my friends loose them. Gotta sell out of state on ebay from now on.

The real solution is to not fall in love with any of your throwing stock. Most players don't care about losing "a disc", they care about losing a special disc. If you only throw low cost DX types of discs, you can't loose more than $10. Don't fall in love with something that can't love you back! I pulled all of my red first-run Champion Valks and TLs out of my bag after losing two, and finding out how valuable they are.
Sorry but Johnny is wrong, one of my buddy's in Roseburg, Or, talked to police about this exact thing, and if the disc has your name on it, meaning you bought it, not found it and marked out someone else's name, then by law it is your property. You can make them give you disc back with no reward for returning it, there was a probelm with people digging discs out of the river and keeping them or trying to sell them back. Bottom line is even if you leave your disc or "abondon" it, it is still your property and by law they must give it back.......
Johnny Macmillan said:
Once you have looked for your lost disc, and gave up on it, it is an abandoned disc. If someone finds it, regardless of the info you have written on the disc, it is theirs. Finders Keepers. Sad, but true. There are plenty of casual players that couldn't be bothered with calling someone, and arranging a meeting for a disc. It is not their responsibility. It was your responsibility to not leave the disc where you did.

I have the opposite problem. I don't even put my phone # on may discs. I give and sell many of my old discs, with my name only on them. I am amazed at how many find their way back to me. I have now realized that I can no longer give away old discs with my name on them, because they end up costing me a buck ot two to get them back, after my friends loose them. Gotta sell out of state on ebay from now on.

The real solution is to not fall in love with any of your throwing stock. Most players don't care about losing "a disc", they care about losing a special disc. If you only throw low cost DX types of discs, you can't loose more than $10. Don't fall in love with something that can't love you back! I pulled all of my red first-run Champion Valks and TLs out of my bag after losing two, and finding out how valuable they are.
I believe that is true, to some degree, and in most but not every jurisdiction/state/type of park system etc. Either way, it is your property. You could park at Wal Mart and forget where you parked and go home without your car after searching in vain, doesn't mean the 'lost' car is now up for grabs whoever finds it.

Scottycb said:
Sorry but Johnny is wrong, one of my buddy's in Roseburg, Or, talked to police about this exact thing, and if the disc has your name on it, meaning you bought it, not found it and marked out someone else's name, then by law it is your property. You can make them give you disc back with no reward for returning it, there was a probelm with people digging discs out of the river and keeping them or trying to sell them back. Bottom line is even if you leave your disc or "abondon" it, it is still your property and by law they must give it back.......
Johnny Macmillan said:

Despite the distraught look and hopefully embarrassed look on their face pick it up (you can choose whether to allow them to mark it first) and put it back in your bag. Especially if it's your wife and some one was throwing her cfr wraith. She saw it, and saw her name through the plastic, picked it up and said "Thanks". He just kinda stood there. It was actually funny in hindsight.
wow, Johhny is way off. FIrst off, I didn't aboandon it, I couldn't find it, big difference!!! If there is no name, sure , its a keeper, however, if there is a name and number, you must try and return the disc, even asking around. It was never yours, so you wont miss if you find the owner. Its all about Kharma, treat others the way you wish to be treated. If this situation happened to me, I would stand at the disc and when he walked up and said, "that's my disc", I would say, "thats wierd, it has my name and info on it". If he wanted to argue the point, thats o.k., but hopefully he will be a man about it ans say sorry and then I can decide if he gets to keep it or not. Its that easy.
hopefully the ball golfers are not playing wiht someone elses disc because that would just be confusing for everyone. lol

Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun said:
How do ball golfers handle this? ;-)
most people here are coming across a little self centered. sure, it was yours and you lost it and the right thing to do would be give it back. BUT, you have to remember that you either left it or lost it. especially if someone went in the water after it, YOU OWE THEM. therefore, if the person was trying to keep it or acted like it was theirs, ok that favor you owed them is negated and the situation is neutral and you keep it. but if the person didnt know, or was just happy to have a second disc (many times this is one of those one disc players) offer him/her something. if you want to talk about bad karma, think about someone finding something that was yours, and you being self righteous enough to just pick it up and put it in your bag and say 'MINE', thatll give you bad karma. if it werent for that person you probably would have never seen the disc again. you owe them for that. i do the same thing that others do for me. offer the person a couple bucks, or a disc in trade that is in my truck that i dont want. bottom line is, they (accidentally) returned a disc to me, i owe them until their demeanor proves otherwise. if they do prove to be shady or have an ill manor about it, then maybe i forget about the reward. alot of discs go through me because im not afraid to get my feet wet when i see one. and i return alot that dont even have names because someone recognizes it. everyone is greatful to get it back. there are many ways for a disc to get from one persons hands to another, but most of them start in the original owner making a mistake.
Hey folks, don't get me wrong. I am totally against people taking other peoples discs. My "Abandoned Disc" comment is based on how I feel when I loose a disc, not the law. It is mostly jerks who don't want to give discs back. I am amazed at how many discs come back to me with only my name on them.

If you happen to see one of your discs wizzing by, go for it. Good Luck!

Ben Calhoun said:
I believe that is true, to some degree, and in most but not every jurisdiction/state/type of park system etc. Either way, it is your property. You could park at Wal Mart and forget where you parked and go home without your car after searching in vain, doesn't mean the 'lost' car is now up for grabs whoever finds it.

Scottycb said:
Johnny Macmillan said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968