www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Okay your playing a round and a disc flies past you and lands upside down. The name on the disc is yours, a disc you lost. How would you handle the situation?

Views: 4

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

confront him give proof and the disc should be yours.he is reallly giving discgolf a bad name if he refuses. but i could understand if he like made his first ace with it.
Here is an true story example. My friend had his house robbed, discs, bag, all of his extra discs among many other things. The Michigan State Police found these guys when robbing other houses months later. When the police went to the house where the suspects were storing a lot of their stolen items everything was returned that they still had, the police even found the pawn shops where these guys were taking stuff for cash all over west Michigan. The pawn shops had to return all of the items including discs with my friends name on them or that matched the description of his property or any items these guys had taken in. The pawn shops even had to furnish the police the contact info for people who had purchased possible stolen items.

Another example would be ship wrecks or sunken boats. Just because the owner abandoned ship and claimed it as a loss to insurance, does not mean it is yours if you dive down and get it. It still belongs to that owner, insurance company, or government that it belonged to.

If I lost my car in a drunken stooper and didn't know where I parked it, then see some guy driving it around a few days later I should thank him for finding it and offer him a reward to get it back, right. HELL NO! If a person calls me and says hey I found your disc I can meet you at "X location" and give it to you. Sweet! I will be more than happy to ask them what they throw or what kind of plastic they like and take them a disc for finding mine or let them keep mine if I have already replaced it. Thats how it works.

Even when I was new to the game I wasn't that oblivious to the fact that when you come across a disc with a name and especially a number or email on it, you call or email them, that is why it is on the disc in the first place. Same when you buy one off the guys that go pond jumping and sell the discs they find. There are many circumstances why a disc can be left behind, especially in water. If there is thin ice I am not walking out on it to risk drowning, but if it is found I do expect a call, same as I do for anyone else and I expect nothing in return, that is how it is supposed to go. That is good karma. It sounds like some of you just like to justify why it should be yours to make yourself feel better about stealing. Hey, if a wallet gets left somewhere on the course I guess that is yours too even though it has an ID inside, right? You should be entitled to some kind of reward but then if the person dosn't want to give you one you get to keep it I guess. Wow, some people are so honest these days.
While "Finders keepers, losers weepers" may have worked in the sandbox...it definitely doesn't in the real world.
i agree. except with the water. if you were given ample time to retreive it after the ice was melted and said risk is gone you are giving up your rights to the disc. IMO. discs retreived from the water take effort time and somtimes some cuts and bruises to find, those should be yours to do what you want with them, return or not. especially if it has been under water for a long period of time, i.e. over a year or 5 seasons. if it means that much to you you should have gone after it, right? if it doesnt mean anything to you why would you want it back? is it magicly gonna make you a better player, doubt it.
Mike said:
Here is an true story example. My friend had his house robbed, discs, bag, all of his extra discs among many other things. The Michigan State Police found these guys when robbing other houses months later. When the police went to the house where the suspects were storing a lot of their stolen items everything was returned that they still had, the police even found the pawn shops where these guys were taking stuff for cash all over west Michigan. The pawn shops had to return all of the items including discs with my friends name on them or that matched the description of his property or any items these guys had taken in. The pawn shops even had to furnish the police the contact info for people who had purchased possible stolen items.

Another example would be ship wrecks or sunken boats. Just because the owner abandoned ship and claimed it as a loss to insurance, does not mean it is yours if you dive down and get it. It still belongs to that owner, insurance company, or government that it belonged to.

If I lost my car in a drunken stooper and didn't know where I parked it, then see some guy driving it around a few days later I should thank him for finding it and offer him a reward to get it back, right. HELL NO! If a person calls me and says hey I found your disc I can meet you at "X location" and give it to you. Sweet! I will be more than happy to ask them what they throw or what kind of plastic they like and take them a disc for finding mine or let them keep mine if I have already replaced it. Thats how it works.

Even when I was new to the game I wasn't that oblivious to the fact that when you come across a disc with a name and especially a number or email on it, you call or email them, that is why it is on the disc in the first place. Same when you buy one off the guys that go pond jumping and sell the discs they find. There are many circumstances why a disc can be left behind, especially in water. If there is thin ice I am not walking out on it to risk drowning, but if it is found I do expect a call, same as I do for anyone else and I expect nothing in return, that is how it is supposed to go. That is good karma. It sounds like some of you just like to justify why it should be yours to make yourself feel better about stealing. Hey, if a wallet gets left somewhere on the course I guess that is yours too even though it has an ID inside, right? You should be entitled to some kind of reward but then if the person dosn't want to give you one you get to keep it I guess. Wow, some people are so honest these days.
Well I would let the person keep it, if I wanted it back badly enough I would spend the time to find it myself.
Never said it would make you a better player. And as far as in the water, look at ship wrecks, some from the 1700's, they are now being discovered, but they are still the property of the government/country that lost it even though they are not going out actively looking for it. You are out in a pond, lake, river, looking for your disc and happen to find 5 others, if they have a name and number on them, you owe that person a call and their disc back if they want it. A reward is totally up to them. Under your theory how do you know how long the disc was there, and the fact that you have given them "ample time" to get it, or maybe they have been out there numerous times to find it with no luck? I have gone in a pond after a disc and not been able to find it, but if I found yours I would call you. It is the right thing to do. If you wish to do the wrong thing that is on you. Everyone has different morals, it is clear what yours are. What is the point of putting a name, number or email on the disc when someone like you finds it and doesn't call?

da "kingpin" said:
i agree. except with the water. if you were given ample time to retreive it after the ice was melted and said risk is gone you are giving up your rights to the disc. IMO. discs retreived from the water take effort time and somtimes some cuts and bruises to find, those should be yours to do what you want with them, return or not. especially if it has been under water for a long period of time, i.e. over a year or 5 seasons. if it means that much to you you should have gone after it, right? if it doesnt mean anything to you why would you want it back? is it magicly gonna make you a better player, doubt it.
Your disc is Your disc !!!!!! Unless you totally gave up on it or had it snaked from you !!!!!
i never said that's what i do, so no need to take shots at me! i was just stating my opinion, you don't know me so don't pass judgment. I'll be waiting for an apology.... i do return discs even years after the fact, but when i lose one i care about i relentlessly search for it until found. if its getting dark, I'm back there at day break, if its in the water i buy a sixxer and walk around in the water till i get it back. And if there is a chance you might not get it back because of water depth, extreme drop offs, throw one you don't care about and don't want back with the name blacked out. just a suggestion..

and discs and ships are two totally different animals, if one thing holds true for ships doesnt mean it should for discs. plus i think it has to do with where the ship has gone down not who paid for or created a ship. maybe you should do some research and find out for sure, i'd be interested to know.Mike said:
Never said it would make you a better player. And as far as in the water, look at ship wrecks, some from the 1700's, they are now being discovered, but they are still the property of the government/country that lost it even though they are not going out actively looking for it. You are out in a pond, lake, river, looking for your disc and happen to find 5 others, if they have a name and number on them, you owe that person a call and their disc back if they want it. A reward is totally up to them. Under your theory how do you know how long the disc was there, and the fact that you have given them "ample time" to get it, or maybe they have been out there numerous times to find it with no luck? I have gone in a pond after a disc and not been able to find it, but if I found yours I would call you. It is the right thing to do. If you wish to do the wrong thing that is on you. Everyone has different morals, it is clear what yours are. What is the point of putting a name, number or email on the disc when someone like you finds it and doesn't call?

da "kingpin" said:
i agree. except with the water. if you were given ample time to retreive it after the ice was melted and said risk is gone you are giving up your rights to the disc. IMO. discs retreived from the water take effort time and somtimes some cuts and bruises to find, those should be yours to do what you want with them, return or not. especially if it has been under water for a long period of time, i.e. over a year or 5 seasons. if it means that much to you you should have gone after it, right? if it doesnt mean anything to you why would you want it back? is it magicly gonna make you a better player, doubt it.
I'd expect a call but we know that not everyone in this world knows disc golf etiquette or understands "good judgment" If I drop a disc in the water... yeah.. I'm pissed but..I always tell myself " Shouldn't have dropped it in the water jack@$$" I've never received a call back on any of my discs yet but I still return discs that I find on the course. If the owner of the disc offers me a cold beer, reward.. so be it. I never expect it. But yeah.. if it landed in front of me with my name on it.. a simple I.D. should suffice. If he quickly responds that he bought it from Play It Again Sports or other... then maybe he did. By that time I'll usually have another one of those discs anyways.
if you want to talk about the law or legal ownership or all legalities involved, then the person that finds your disc in the lake with YOUR NAME on it should probably call the police to report you littering. maybe he legally HAS to give it back to you, but you legally should pay a ticket for littering.

i dont keep anything i find. i return it if it has an apparent owner, or sell it cheap/give it to new players, but i also dont expect that people owe me their time and effort that they spent finding my disc with nothing in return.

they find your lost disc, you owe them, they dont owe you squat. be greatful.
In order to advance this sport that we all love the proper thing to do is ,if the disc is an important part of your game .Talk to the thrower find out if he or she is a newbie
if so explain the return code we all are supposed to live by.LOOk trough that bag of yours and find a user friendly disc give it to this person.take the found disc put it inyour bag and tell them about the course,your club,the next tourneyect....... THen say have a nice say.
zac said:
if you want to talk about the law or legal ownership or all legalities involved, then the person that finds your disc in the lake with YOUR NAME on it should probably call the police to report you littering. maybe he legally HAS to give it back to you, but you legally should pay a ticket for littering.

i dont keep anything i find. i return it if it has an apparent owner, or sell it cheap/give it to new players, but i also dont expect that people owe me their time and effort that they spent finding my disc with nothing in return.

they find your lost disc, you owe them, they dont owe you squat. be greatful.
And you have to ask yourself, does the aligator want it more than me. I threw my legacy into a headwind on the beach on Anna Maria Island, and it dove into the gulf of mexico. Should I find someone in Louisiana playing with it, I would say, where did you find it, Texas? If you are bigger than them, and know martial arts, and it isn't OPey, then Give them 5 bucks for their trouble, and carry on. Otherwise, start world war five, and nuke there f'in innovas and challenge them to a one hole playoff for the disc. If you lose it, they will come, or something like that. I know, that was sick.MAYBE IT WAS THE CABERNET SAUVIGNON.

Dr. steve

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…
 

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968