www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Okay your playing a round and a disc flies past you and lands upside down. The name on the disc is yours, a disc you lost. How would you handle the situation?

Views: 2

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If I purchase a used disc from Play-it-again Sports and you roll up talking about this is your disc. Tuff. You'll have to trade me out of it.
Scottycb said:
Sorry but Johnny is wrong, one of my buddy's in Roseburg, Or, talked to police about this exact thing, and if the disc has your name on it, meaning you bought it, not found it and marked out someone else's name, then by law it is your property. You can make them give you disc back with no reward for returning it, there was a probelm with people digging discs out of the river and keeping them or trying to sell them back. Bottom line is even if you leave your disc or "abondon" it, it is still your property and by law they must give it back.......
Johnny Macmillan said:
Once you have looked for your lost disc, and gave up on it, it is an abandoned disc. If someone finds it, regardless of the info you have written on the disc, it is theirs. Finders Keepers. Sad, but true. There are plenty of casual players that couldn't be bothered with calling someone, and arranging a meeting for a disc. It is not their responsibility. It was your responsibility to not leave the disc where you did.

I have the opposite problem. I don't even put my phone # on may discs. I give and sell many of my old discs, with my name only on them. I am amazed at how many find their way back to me. I have now realized that I can no longer give away old discs with my name on them, because they end up costing me a buck ot two to get them back, after my friends loose them. Gotta sell out of state on ebay from now on.

The real solution is to not fall in love with any of your throwing stock. Most players don't care about losing "a disc", they care about losing a special disc. If you only throw low cost DX types of discs, you can't loose more than $10. Don't fall in love with something that can't love you back! I pulled all of my red first-run Champion Valks and TLs out of my bag after losing two, and finding out how valuable they are.

For me it depends on the situation.

Situation 1: The disc was lost in weeds...then I like Ben's Walmart analogy and you have legal rights to the disc if your name was on it. You simply couldn't find the disc...you still wanted it, it should stay yours.

Situation 2: The disc is in the water... You knew where that disc was: in the middle of your local disc grubbing pond. Never in your life are you going to go looking for it in that nasty water...in that case you've lost all rights to that disc in my opinion, although maybe not legally. But be honest with yourself in this case, were you ever going to go back for it?? If yes, then ask for the disc, if no, then offer them 5 bucks for wading in that nasty stuff.

If they still refuse, gag them with chloroform, take the disc and put the 5 in their golf bag. jk
so i had this pink first run destroyer with the star stamp... loved how it flew!!! but as a dumb ass i threw it a little too high into a left right and the bitch flipped on me. only to land ontop of a HS in IN. So as what any one else would do i went into the school tried to find a janitor and he said they would go up and get it the next time they did something to the AC units. It had my name and phone number on it.
Only to the the following week and tuesday night dubs. A pink first run destroyer land by my feet.. The kid that threw it was like man im sorry... Walks up so i say "Hey can i look at that thing?" of course he said sure... Sure enough my name and number was on the back.. I offerd to even pay him a small reward of like 5 bucks to get it back... And this kid just wouldnt have so i said to myself Hey its just a disc.... If hes gonna be a jerk about it then so be it....
And with that i say!!!!! Chuck Chuck Chuck Damn Chuckersssss

Sincerely
Dubble Standard
Okay, I thought of a way to illustrate my second situation that goes along with Ben's great Walmart example.

So instead of losing your car in the Walmart parking lot, you drove it into a lake (or a more common Wisconsin instance...your snowmobile). You decide not to pay to have the vehicle fished out (that's gotta be an embarrassing moment of admission of stupidity). Later do you go after it when you see someone driving down the road with it, assuming of course it still works?
I have found my share of lost disc. If it has a name on it, I take them to league and try to return them. After a couple of weeks at league, if the disc isn't claimed, then I call if there is a phone number (some disc have a name and no number) and tell them that their disc will be at league. I have returned a lot of discs this way.
Take comfort in the laws of Karma, or the Golden Rule and do the right thing.
Back in the day I lost my first and only Z plastic disc that was my fav. My name wasn't on it but I wrote on it with a sharpie. A week or so later my brother noticed a kid using it on the same hole I lost it. I asked the kid if I could see it and asked where he found it. Sure as sh!t it was the one I lost. I offered him $10 for finding it. He agreed and we both were happy.

Turns out six years later I'd get my one and only ace with the same disc. That same disc has been lost twice since, thanks to my friends borrowing it.. Lucky for me that disc pops up an hour, or day later. I still won't retire it though, after all, it's still a fav.
Ok so now the real question, is if you find your disc at a play it again sports with name, number etc. What do you do then if you were not the one selling it back?
Lawrence 'Larry' Leonardi JR said:
Ok so now the real question, is if you find your disc at a play it again sports with name, number etc. What do you do then if you were not the one selling it back?

In a case like this...I guess you'd have to ask yourself........What would Jack Bauer do????? lmao!!!
i would ask for it back but we have some water holes here and store call play it again sports comes out and gets them then sells them with your name still on it. so what do you do? if they buy it its there's right? OK now say you find one with just a name on it you should ask around or give it to your local TD because they will most likely know them or see them before you. but thats just me.
In the case where my friends discs were sold and being sold at pawn shops. They had to be turned over to the police as they were considered stolen property. Like if you find a suitcase filled with cash, you arew supposed to take it to the police. After a 30 day waiting period if it is not claimed it is yours. The point of the matter is you should offer it back to the person, especially if it has contact info on it. If you don't it can potentially be viewed as selling or possessing stolen property.
You'd have to be extremely lucky to have this happen. I don't have experience with this so I'm not sure how I'd react. I think I'd want my disc back. I wouldn't expect it, but I'd want it. I'd wait for them to come looking for the disc & then I'd discuss it with them.
If they were cool I might let them keep it. If they stole it out of my bag then....
Yeddie VanHalen said:
You'd have to be extremely lucky to have this happen. I don't have experience with this so I'm not sure how I'd react. I think I'd want my disc back. I wouldn't expect it, but I'd want it. I'd wait for them to come looking for the disc & then I'd discuss it with them.
If they were cool I might let them keep it. If they stole it out of my bag then....

...Bruce Lee time??

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968