www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I found a Cyclone in the woods at a park today, and there is "Property of Isabella County PKS"  inprinted onto the bottom of the disc.  I literally mean that the letters are indented in the plastic  (picture attached). 

I plan on returning the disc, there was just no one at the office at this time, but would this disc be legal to throw at a tournament?  There is rule 805 B(6) which states a disc must be "be essentially as produced, without any post-production modifications which affect the weight or flight characteristics;"

It is a modification, but I do not think it would affect the flight in any way (or at least any more then the words Discraft has printed on the disc).  What is the ruling, is this disc legal to throw at a tournament?

Tags: cyclone, disc, legal, letters, print

Views: 14

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I say No...it's been altered beyond the scope of what is allowed for marking a disc.
Chuck needs to answer this one. I am with Jamie as far as no, but then I thought, it is pressed into the disc, so no plastic was removed, the disc wasnt cut and the only difference between this and nailing a tree and leaving a large dent would be the "detail". SO in other words, I am not sure, I could see an argument for both sides! Great question Shawn!
If heat was applied to the disc modifying it thats classifying it as having a post-production modification. No good. If it was done without heat it's still a post-production modification.
That is what I first thought, but the rule says a modification "...which affect the weight or flight characteristics." If it doesn't change any of that, it seems it would still be ok. Is there another rule that might describe this any better?
C. Players may not make post-production modification of discs which alter their original flight characteristics. This rule does not forbid inevitable wear and tear from usage during play or the moderate sanding of discs to smooth molding imperfections or scrape marks. Discs excessively sanded or painted with a material of detectable thickness are illegal. See sections 802.01 D, E and F.

Here is the pertinent rule. I would argue that the impressed letters do not alter the flight characteristics of the disc.
isnt hot stamping a disc, (companies do this to add logos or images) a post production modification? Its not part of "building" or molding the disc.
look at the rule. "PLAYERS" may not make post-production modification of discs......well, it is not the player doing this, it is technically a company (county parks) doing this. so it goes back ot is it legal or not?
How do you determine if something has altered the flight characteristics of a disc? Do you use a wind tunnel? Another wonderfully vague rule.
Does not hanging on the word 'players' go around the spirit of the rule.

My company, which I own 100%, can add a rocket pack to the disc set it to go and have a little gnome on top of the disc driving the sucker. Since it was a company that did it, not a person would that be legal? I think not.
Post production has a broader meaning than just post molding. If the stamping is done by a company before sale, then that's considered to be part of "production" before "post production" that players are not supposed to do. At one time, the DGA "factored" discs after molding by shaving off a certain amount of the bottom rim. I'm not sure those were submitted for approval as a separate model.

The reality is that most of the tie-dying is not technically legal per the standards but it has become accepted as okay. In theory, the tie-dyers would have to submit each of their designs for testing and the $350 PDGA approval fee. Who's to say the ink doesn't put the disc overweight or possibly change the flexibility beyond standards for models that are close to those boundaries already?
If the PDGA decided that Hot Stamping was in fact Post Prod Modification, there would be alot of companies that are doing alot for the sport that would be hit hard and most likely be forced out of the Biz. I do not think it would be in our sports best interest to enforce that interpretation of the rule.
Chuck, look at the image (link), this is not about dyeing but rather a "hot stamp" or "pressure stamp" being done but a park department to identify park property. I see your point and myself being a person who dyes discs, I do understand your point. I have even talked to another official and was told the same, that the dyeing process is being more and more "accepted" but the images can now make a disc illegal for use. Which makes perfect sense as well. No PDGA event needs a disc with a naked woman on it flying around.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968