www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I have just made the most helpful change so far in my newbieness with the game. For my drive I had been using the 4 finger power grip, and regardless of what I did with my footwork, making sure my core was centered, attention to disc orientation etc. I seemed to 80% of the time send my drive out nose up, rather than the nose down I was going for. While looking at the grips shown on Innova's website under "Dave's Tips" I found the three finger power/accuracy grip and decided to try it today. Wow, what a difference in my drive and mid range shots as well. Something about removing my index finger from the grip equation and letting it serve as more of a guide has me actually making my drives closely resemble what I envision in my head before the throw (unless there happens to be a tree to screw it up lol). If there's anyone brand new like me out there who has hit a wall like I had hit, I highly recommend delving into all the information here and elsewhere online and experimenting. I was doing the 4 finger power grip because it seemed the choice of so many people, and one little change has benefited me immensely.

Views: 28

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

i will try that 2morrow,never seen index finger on top,so i just gripped a disc and the light went on,so will give it at try
Well, it's more the index finger extended along the bottom edge of the disc. I think when I was gripping with my index finger too, I was somehow forcing the disc into a nose up attitude.
Sounds like Climo's grip. You should youtube Feldbergs as well. It works well for mids and control shots (for me)
I'll take a look at it definitely, thanks for the suggestion. At the moment I want to see how I'm doing after getting used to this one, it seems to be helping everything up to the putt. However, the fact that a different technique helped me so much when I tried it today means I'm totally open to giving it a whirl at some point. I see a-lot of people here throw forehand and backhand both, I've not yet thrown anything near an acceptable forehand throw.. If my present grip works out, the next new thing I think I'll learn is forehand shots. Then again, I see guys locally doing these insane long distance rollers..... Damn so much to learn. lol
Are you a polydactyl? That extra finger must come in REAL handy on the course!
lol...my bad...i guess he was talking about what i do already huh...duh..i guess i will remove that post
the 4 finger grip does give you more distance in my opinion...it just takes a little bit to adjust to the difference...also loosely griping the disc until releasing helped me as well
If you go to youtube and search out mark ellis or discraft how to you will come up with about 25 or so good instructional videos that cover everything from driving farther to more accurate putting
I play with a few above average players and the two alpha discers. Have approx three to four diff grips. I'm good with the two (Climo and Feldbergs) for my drivers and mids. Putting is a diff. story. I kind of fall back on my ball golf and drum days.
One: Every body is diff. You need to find the technique that will improve your game, but works for your body type.
Two: Sounds corny, but everyone has there own internal rythm. Find it and stick with that beat/cadence and it becomes natural. I still sing a song as I'm doing my run up and pull threw. So I keep my timimg right.
I've been a musician (predominantly Bass guitar) since 1984, so the internal rhythm makes sense. That's the only way I was able to get the X Step, pull through etc. to start to flow like they are now. The change in grip is letting me see a better result from those other parts thankfully.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968