www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Backhand Disc Throw

4.1 Abstract

The flight of the disc is understood but how a person produces the initial conditions

remains to be investigated. A seven segment throwing model has been developed to

investigate the kinematics and kinetics of backhand disc throws. This model specifies

the motion of the torso, allows for the motion of the glenohumeral rhythm and scapular

sliding on the thorax, and includes six degrees of freedom: three at the shoulder, and one

each at the elbow (ulnahumeral), radioulnar, and wrist (radiocarpal) joints. The equations

of motion, developed symbolically using Kane’s method, were coded in AUTOLEV.

Analysis of 57% maximal effort throws reveals that the largest power contribution results

from horizontal adduction of the shoulder providing nearly all the work done to increase

translational velocity of the disc. At release the work done by horizontal adduction

was 35 J while the total work at all joints was 34 J. The seven segments behaved as a

kinetic chain during the throw; however the elbow does not fully extend at any time. It

was flexed 57° at release, coming no closer than 27° to full extension during follow

through.

Views: 12

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sooo...basically you are saying practice, practice, and more practice. Beginners will not be able to keep up with the lingo. I had a a hard time keeping up and i've been playing for about eight years now. I will certainly give your advise a try though and hopfully be able to break the 500' mark consistantly.
so... how does this apply to forehand throwing again?
It doesn't.  I found somebody's thesis on the aerodynamics of disc flight and thought that this part was hilariously over-scientific so I posted it here sarcastically. 
This is the primary cause of anal seppage.
what? glenohumeral rhythm?  it does have it's dark side...

So the guy stayed loose at the joints and used a bent elbow technique while turning his hips and upper body while having his shoulder keep everything on line and chopped at the end so he wouldn't hyper extend his elbow. Sounds like what we already know, good stuff. Muwahahahahaha, a nice flat easy shot.

My interpretation of it was this:  words, words, bigger words, possible numbers, anatomy question(?), space off thinkin about Natalie Portman, words, fin.
The paralysis of analysis ;-)
Physics !
I believe that the muffler belt needs tightening.
LOL!!!
I have to start all over, dangit! I guess the person who wrote this knows best.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968