www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

SO I entered into my first PDGA, the Luther Britt "Win or Swim" in Lumberton NC. This was my first ever event as well as some of my frineds that I play with weekly so we all went Recreational division. Well, there was only 6 Rec players but it was a heated battle and the winner was decided on the last hole on the last round! That was awesome. Here is my issue, since we played the "short" tees, it has been now discovered that we will not earn a players rating. We thought that was a "benefit of joining the PDGA" as well as the fact this was not told to us any differently. Even the TD thought this would happen. Well, after the event and some rules about propagators and I am stuck with no rating. I have asked both the club and the PDGA to refund my money. I have no problem returning my players pack and my winnings ($7 dx disc). Am I wrong for this? or am I right by wanting my rating?? Please help Note: this is my club that put the event on????

Tags: Britt, Luther, PDGA, Swim, Win, or

Views: 13

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hey Rick R, How did you log into Jamie's account? lol
Is it true, that in order to have any ratings, the pros would have had to play the short tees also? At least one round? The pros are rated and everyone's rating would be based on that? Is any of this true?
Ah Ha!! your on a need to know basis...and you don't need to know!!! lmao!!
while not a pdga rep in this case nor part of the ratings crew i believe that 30 is the number of shots around the green (putts) found to be an average based on 1000 level play and the 285 is the average length of non-"around the green" shots on courses of average foliage/obstruction. i'm sure i'll be corrected if this is blatantly wrong.
gold star
That's either a real good guess or you have, apparently, inside info...or I missed that in the PDF downloads about ratings...which is definitely possible...lol!!

Considering if the putting zone is 32.8 feet. I can't see an average of 1000 rated players or 1000 rated play being an average of 30 putts inside the putting zone for 18 holes. That number would seem to be lower. At 10 meters a 1000 rated player should easily be 75% or higher on those putts.

As far 285 being the average length of all non around the green shots..I'm lost on that all together....
my info was readily available at one point, n ot sure if it still is.

i believe the "around the green" shots are not based on the falling putt zone but some other number- not sure what it is though.
I didn't see that in the PDF downloads....but what was interesting was the "Compression" effect. The easier the course....the more rating points per stroke. The harder the course the less rating points per stroke....10 seems to be the average.

One of our local players figured part of it out a while ago so our players could rate their various rounds themselves. Not too many were interested in trying the formula.....way too complicated to be fun...lol.
it's ten at world class par of 52 (i think).
?????
why they are not always accurate when results are first reported... you know...when you send off (email) your results.... within a few minutes or so, the round ratings appear but may change a little once the report is received by the PDGA.

The short answer is when TD's upload results to PDGA the ratings are calculated automatically. This basic input system is not designed to handle all variables. Sometimes it takes a person with a brain and actual reasoning ability to make adjustments. That is why results are "Unofficial" of "Official". Let's say five Advanced players were in the B Pool away from the rest of their division - this may affect all the Advanced players ratings, but TD's are not able to input that type of information when uploading scores.

Again, Official results have been checked by humans with brains. Unofficial results can contain errors - like the wrong PDGA numbers for players, or missing PDGA numbers (both of which can affect ratings). It has been my experience that if TD's input the results correctly (and there were no huge weather discrepancies or players in different pools, etc), Official and Unofficial results are exactly the SAME!!!
when they started the ratings they were based on data from the cincinatti worlds. average wcp for those courses was 52- thus that is the cusp for the system- on courses with wcp less than 52 strokes are worth more, on courses with wcp more than 52 they are worth less, based on the assumption that if you throw more shots in a round each shot is a smaller portion of your round which is the basic unit involved in the calculations. i believe some of the math to be faulty at that point but have resigned myself to the fact that the ratings are "good enough for government work".

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968