www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

SO I entered into my first PDGA, the Luther Britt "Win or Swim" in Lumberton NC. This was my first ever event as well as some of my frineds that I play with weekly so we all went Recreational division. Well, there was only 6 Rec players but it was a heated battle and the winner was decided on the last hole on the last round! That was awesome. Here is my issue, since we played the "short" tees, it has been now discovered that we will not earn a players rating. We thought that was a "benefit of joining the PDGA" as well as the fact this was not told to us any differently. Even the TD thought this would happen. Well, after the event and some rules about propagators and I am stuck with no rating. I have asked both the club and the PDGA to refund my money. I have no problem returning my players pack and my winnings ($7 dx disc). Am I wrong for this? or am I right by wanting my rating?? Please help Note: this is my club that put the event on????

Tags: Britt, Luther, PDGA, Swim, Win, or

Views: 12

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Your lame Chuck...I was looking for the Cliff Notes version....lol!!!! I just read all the FAQ's on ratings...again, and still wouldn't attempt to explain it. lol.
What that section really needs is graphs and charts showing some examples on how our ratings system works. Some of us need pictures...Chuck!! ROFL

Why is 285 a factor? is that the average length of all holes in existence? And how did the pdga determine that number? why add 30....what is the importance of 30?
The information available is the extent to which the PDGA wishes to provide information on the ratings system for proprietary reasons. As a contractor for providng the service, what I've provided is what i'm authorized to provide. The 285 and 30 factors simply were derived from the 100s of thousands of round data points as the best fit linear equation for SSA.
Oh, I see...it's a Top Secret mathematical equation....on a "need to know" basis. lol!!
what are they worried about....corporate espionage? spying from the USGA?
You can at least tell us what 285 represents...my guess on it being the average length of all holes...probably isn't correct. Seeing how we send the total length of the course played..not a hole by hole break down. 30 I'm guessing is the desired number of propagators used. But not sure why that number would be added and not a number that would divide into another.

Is 30 the Fudge Factor?
Is it true, that in order to have any ratings, the pros would have had to play the short tees also? At least one round? The pros are rated and everyone's rating would be based on that? Is any of this true?
On a side note...I believe that they are real accurate. Based on 10 rating points equaling 1 stroke...and our very simple handicapping method... differences in rating points does somewhat work out to the same differences in local handicaps....Player B has a 890 rating and is a minus 7 from our average long placement setup...Player A is a +2 with a Rating of 980 a difference of 9 strokes.

we can actually give a handicap to any player with an established rating...even if they never played on our course before.
Hey Rick R, How did you log into Jamie's account? lol
Ah Ha!! your on a need to know basis...and you don't need to know!!! lmao!!
while not a pdga rep in this case nor part of the ratings crew i believe that 30 is the number of shots around the green (putts) found to be an average based on 1000 level play and the 285 is the average length of non-"around the green" shots on courses of average foliage/obstruction. i'm sure i'll be corrected if this is blatantly wrong.
gold star
That's either a real good guess or you have, apparently, inside info...or I missed that in the PDF downloads about ratings...which is definitely possible...lol!!

Considering if the putting zone is 32.8 feet. I can't see an average of 1000 rated players or 1000 rated play being an average of 30 putts inside the putting zone for 18 holes. That number would seem to be lower. At 10 meters a 1000 rated player should easily be 75% or higher on those putts.

As far 285 being the average length of all non around the green shots..I'm lost on that all together....
my info was readily available at one point, n ot sure if it still is.

i believe the "around the green" shots are not based on the falling putt zone but some other number- not sure what it is though.
Check the math.. a 1000 rated player will throw a 48 on an average ssa48 course. 30 "putts" and 18 drives equals 48. So the thirty putts in this equation is actually 30 non-drives including all up shots.

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968