www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

The Divisional Tour Newsgroup is soliciting new members this month. The major purpose of the Newsgroup is to identify, promote and support exciting PDGA events that appeal to players 40 and older. Newsgroup members nominate and select our Tour events; most of the support comes from the Senior Foundation Grant Program. Newsgroup members receive periodic e-mails with a spreadsheet listing the Tour events and key items of information about them. The spreadsheets are typically accompanied by announcements and discussions of particular interest to older players.

You would probably benefit from our Newsgroup if most of the following statements describe you:

1) You will be 40 or older in 2012.
2) You would much rather play disc golf competitively than watch somebody else play it.
3) You do not believe that your major purpose as a PDGA member is to provide galleries and/or financial support for Open players.
4) You enjoy a challenge, and don't want to be babied.
4) You would occasionally travel regionally, perhaps nationally, or possibly even internationally to play in an event that offered good value to your division.
5) You wish that there were some way to identify such events well in advance.

If you would like to try this, please send an e-mail to me (shive@uwyo.edu), and I will add you to our mailing list. I respect confidentiality, and will not provide your contact information to any third party without your express permission. Also, I will remove you from the newsgroup at any time upon your request.

Views: 268

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

oh.  So what I really need to do is get better. HaHaHa

Being 44 and of the old fart set, I'm told; I am certainly interested in having an access point for information regarding divisional tournament listings. I personally am able to recieve the info through an email or a club listing her on DGRUS. I think the age limit for those able to safely operate an email chain has been driven higher the past few years.

Though, it would be nice to have a point here on DGRUS to promote the divisional tour over the long haul. Rather than collect a group of emails this one time around and be done with it. Like Mark said, it could be a point where we are all able to gather, collect the info, and promote to those new people on the site that are of the right age listing to join up.

I completely understand having a lot on your plate. With that said, I will join the email chain for now, and hope that a point to refer to here on the site will happen. Thanks Peter.

For the purpose of simplicity, let's call the different Amateur divisions Am 1, Am 2, Am 3 and Am 4 (as they used to be known by the PDGA and still are in many areas as those names make the most sense).  The term Masters only refers to age (40+) not skill level.  A division can combine age restrictions with handicap ratings and even gender restrictions.

It is possible for there to be an Am 1 Masters or an Am 2 Masters, etc. if a TD wants to host it and qualified players register for it.  Just like there could be an Am 3 Legends or an Am 4 Senior Grandmasters or a Womens Am 3 Masters.

I am still waiting for a Pro Grandmasters, forehand dominant, lawyer division.  I might be a star in that division.  :)

It would make the most sense for Peter Shive to form the Club and call it the Divisional Tour as he is the driving force for the concept and he uses the term "Divisional Tour".  That way anyone searching for this club on this site would know they have found it by the easy identifiers. 

There are hundreds of Clubs on this site, including clubs for old guys.  I belong to two of them "Geezers" and "International Grandmasters".  Neither have the particular focus of the Divisional Tour.

To Peter Shive:  Once a club is formed there is no continuing duty which flows from its creation.  You would not even have to post anything there if you deputized some tech savvy old guy to assist.

Different types of communication work better for different purposes.  A Club here may be superior to emails for the ease of the members.  Once, for example, the preferred tournaments of the Divisional Tour are chosen they could be posted on a single thread in the Club and they would always be there, easily retrieved.  An email may be lost or buried in the deluge of a billion other emails or misdirected into a spam filter.

A club also allows any member to make comments without involving an entire email chain and those comments are permanently stored in logical order.

A division of 1.

Actually, Mark, the PDGA no longer recognizes the lower amateur age restricted divisions.  So they have MA1, MA2 and MA3, and they have MM1 and MG1 but the PDGA does not have MM2 or MG2.  They abolished those divisions when they added MA4. 

DD needs to decide whether he wants to play with guys his age or with guys his skill level or guys who will give him lessons.  I do all three. 

Starting next year, I'll play nothing but "Advanced Masters" versus switching back and forth from intermediate.  I'll just have to "Up my GAME" to make up for the extra distance.
Would this divisional tour be for pro master and grandmaster? or is it open for am master and grandmaster? I turned 50 this year and before this year I'd never played in a PDGA sanctioned tournament. I don't yet have the skill set to play in a pro division (868 rating), and my best finish in a sanctioned event was 3rd in advanced grand master. I wish that there was an intermediate grand master as that would be more in line with my rating, but sadly there is not such a division available so I'll continue to play from the long tees and work on my game. My hope is by this time next year I will have a rating in the 900's and actually be competitive. Having said all that, and if the divisional tour was for am's as well I would probably be interested in getting in on it.

Jeffery,

Anyone is welcome to join, pro or amateur.  But most of the criteria we use to evaluate events, like event format (#of rounds, pins & tees), added cash distribution, final nine participation, etc, are of interest primarily to pros.  The only criterion that might be of direct interest to amateurs is the availability of camping and/or inexpensive housing.      

Still, about a quarter of our members are amateurs, which surprises me.  Maybe they believe that events that are "pro-senior-friendly" are more likely to be good ones for amateurs as well.  Maybe they are in it for previews of coming attractions, as they consider turning pro in the future. 

It would be great to also have an "Amateur Divisional Tour".  But it's a potentially huge project, way beyond my grasp at age 70.  Also, I've been a pro almost my whole career and am thus not the right person to coordinate it.  

Sounds Good to Me !!!  I'm 52 years old and have been playing Disc Golf since 1976.  I Have been in the Open / Professional divisions since 1982.

Please Add me if not already done so.  Thanks.   donnyotime@yahoo.com

^This^

Thanks for the info Peter, looks like i'll need to work on my game for a while. maybe by the time I'm senior grandmaster I'll play pro.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968