www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

So there have been two times that my 10 year old daughter has really flipped out about disc golf. The first was when she realized there was such a thing, and we played 6 days straight, you know, just trying it out. Ha! The second just happened this past weekend after she watched some coverage of the World Ams from Rochester. She saw the FJ division girls playing; and she watched it over and over. She turned to me and said, "Dad, I can compete"? I said, "Sure honey, they have divisions for all ages". She corrected me, stating that it was not a question; she was trying to tell me that she could be competitive with those girls.

She has played about a hundred rounds with me, and she actually has excellent driving form. Her distance is really good, it just isn't consistantly long. She works her upshots well, looking for the best line to get herself in position to make a run at the basket. Her putting, like most of us, is the part of her game that needs the most work.

So this Saturday little Juju is playing in her first tournament. We don't have an official Juniors division at the club, let alone a Junior Girls division. I will drop my divisional play and carry the bag for her in the Novice groupings. She is really excited to give it a go, and I know she'll do just fine. I will be careful to keep it light a friendly, and fun for her.

My question is, does anyone know of Junior Division tournaments in California where she can match her play against other girls. I have searched without any luck?

Views: 373

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sounds like she enjoys it! Awesome Job to Dad and Daughter... :)

36 is a lot.....is there 18-hole league play around, she can ease into?

Heck, I had a hard time adjusting to tournament play when I began at age 37.  Kids adapt quickly; my nephew was playing sanctioned events at age 9 (in adult divisions, too).  If your daughter likes it, I'm sure she'll adapt quickly as well.

To the original question, you might be able to contact the PDGA tour director or California state coordinator to determine if there are any junior-specific events in CA, or what events have any signifcant number of junior participants.

For example, in South Carolina we have one specific Juniors event, not sanctioned but I suspect the state coordinator knows or can find out about it if he were asked.  Most other events offer junior divisions, if there are junior who register.   We most typically see juniors at events on some of the easier courses.

This stuff used to be easier to search on the PDGA website, but that's brutal nowadays.  I guess you COULD look up tournament results near you until you come across some that had juniors playing.

In a sport with low female and youth participation, at least on the tournament level, being both is going to be a little tough.  I wish you well.

(Perhaps she can get a few friends interested?  I've seen cases where a few kids played with friends, and would go to tournaments as a group, just to have someone to play against.)

Good luck!!!!  Thats awesome!! I'm playing in a Doubles tourney with my 9yr old son. He's looking forward to it as much as I am. Love seeing the next generation getting excited about this game.

We found a saturday league not too far from us that we are going to go take a look at  this weekend. From what I understand it's a lot of teenage boys. That might be worse than having her play with the men. We'll just have to see what the atmosphere is like during and after the round.

IF she can handle playing with Teenage boys, she could handle ANYTHING though..... :)

I agree.....it will be an interesting saturday morning.

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968