www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I am a junior player, and without knowing a whole lot about discs I bought a couple so my friends and I could get into it. I got a used 160 range champion teebird, a new heavier teebird, a new 172 star wraith, a new 170 range champion leopard, and a new aviar putt and approach. I like the used teebird alot because I can keep it straight. I can drive forehand about 300-320 ft. With the wraith and the leopard i have little control. I want to improve my distance. Are these all good discs for me? What should I be using? How do I improve my distance?

Tags: aviar, control, distance, improve, innova, junior, leopard, teebird, wraith

Views: 2

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Your new and you can already throw over 300 feet? Wow. I've been playing for 2 years and am just getting to the point of consistantly throwing 300 feet.
must be something in the water
ever try the 150 flick or surge? They are great discs.
Don't you know Cassidy, whenever you are reading you subtract 75-100 ft, and when you write you add 75-100ft to get the right distance.
lol
Teebird is cool. Wraith may be a bit much. The Leopard is an awesome disc, but requires some "touch". Mind you I throw backhand, but it seems most people new to the sport seem to pick both up pretty easy. Anyway, as far as drivers or fairwaiy drivers. Valkyrie, Sidewinder, Beast, XL, XS, Flash, Tracker, Xspress...are good starters. Mids...not sure for a forehand. Heck IMO, it took a year of playing to figure out how to "use" midrange discs properly. Now, how do you improve "D", Same old, same old....practice, playing with "better" disc golfers, and for me. It was discgolfreview.com.

Peace!!
How old are you Andrew? Maybe try some 150-class discs, the lighter weight might help as well. Teebirds a great disc, you've chosen well with them. Your wraith might be a bit fast for you at the moment, but you should be able to "grow into" it as your technique improves. To improve your distance, you need to improve your technique. Try getting yourself a copy of the Climo/Feldberg DVD (Disc Golf Fundamentals), it was very helpful to me. Other than that, talk to other disc golfers and watch what they do, ask questions, see if someone is willing to help you out with your technique. Good luck dude.
I'm looking for a disc that will give me more distance with more control than the wraith. I've considered either the beast, valkrie, or the disc craft flash. Are these good choices. What would you recommend?
A 150 flick is retardedly overstable, I've thrown ESP and Z. The Z wasn't nearly as overstable as my ESP, it is a meat hook. I'd wait on the Flick, maybe get a Z Talon 150, and a Drone and Wasp for mids. Don't limit yourself to just Innova Andrew, I'd try any and all discs that you can get your hands on. The Whippet and Viper aren't bad for sidearm either. But if you're looking for distance, that will just take time and practice with several different discs. Remember, accuracy and control first, then D comes. If you're really throwing around 300' and are pretty accurate, that is all you really need for most courses that you'll play until you reach the BIG leagues.
flash is good on every level. The domey esp ones are great hyzer flip discs for back handers. The STALKER is like a teebird, just straighter. Try a lower weight one and you won't be disappointed.
I like to throw the wraith but when I need more distance and control I go to my 160g star monarch, also nice in champion plastic. The star destroyer is another fast disc that I find easy to control. I prefer star plastic because it breaks in a little faster and I seem to get a better grip on it. The Valkrie is a wonderful disc, especially for downhill shots. I would bet that you would have a lot of luck throwing a beast but I would stay under 171g. The Beast is a great disc to learn a flick shot as well. I used to throw about 280-310 with 175g discs and for me, my distance increased to 350+ just by throwing lighter discs. I have a 146g boss that I can really really huck. I can throw as far as the big boys, I just can't throw the big boys discs... I kinda laugh when saying that cause I'm a pretty big guy ha ha
There are excellent tips, thanks for the inspiration!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968