www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

The main goal is to bring together peoples ideas as one giant force. I believe it’s finally time to utilize peoples strengths. Building a network that can better facilitate Disc Golf’s main stream growth is vital.

Taking the steps needed to gather corporate and local sponsorships. How to navigate the proper channels when approaching Parks Departments for course development opportunities. The easiest ways to organize local clinics, doubles events, monthly club tournaments, night golf etc. All of which are in turn helping to fundraise Disc Golf growth in there respective areas.

The Disc Golf scene has been growing exponentially the past few years. Every where you go you see new players with a single disc and smile on their face. With these new players comes the need to match the growth on a structural level. We need new courses to a alleviate stresses put on existing layouts. New clubs and organizations to structure events for these new players. A matched commitment from various regions to come together for a greater purpose. I’ve always been told that many hands make light work. Well we have amassed a great army to call upon.

If we work together to achieve common goals, great things will happen. The power is in the hands of the people. The PDGA is nothing without it’s core of players. We the player’s are the public’s perception of Disc Golf. Each time we interact with dog walkers at the course. Every conversation about what it is we're doing throwing a “Frisbee” in the woods. We are each in a way representatives of the Global Disc Golf Community.

Until the players start to work for the game instead of expecting it to miraculously happen the other way around. Until the players work harder to change Disc Golf related stigmas. Until we learn how to act like human beings on planet earth. Who don't slam 12 packs and terrorize the park. Until there is a drastic, almost 180 degree, shift in the general public perception of Disc Golf. I believe we are going to be treading shallow water. With the real big fish out there in deep blue waters.

Views: 2

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Some really great points that we should all consider while playing this game that we all love.
Thanks Avery, you see there is at least one person who feels the same way. Thats a start. Are there anymore Captains or Generals out there?
As I go out and golf, I always make a point to have a fun, sober round. I pick up garbage as I walk. I try to explain that even though there is an "undesirable" element to my sport, that is true for any sport. I do enjoy drinking and having fun, but I know that there is a time and place, and that is the clubhouse, after the round.
i agree with the above. it's almost political, and you'd get my vote for your wording. my buddies and I are always having to explain the "frisbee in the woods" and almost always lose/give a disc to the wonderer. what's even better... half the time we'll see that player on another day with two-three more discs and another buddy. i'm sure most of us have had that same experience, and it's easy to understand how fast this sport is growing.

the biggest problem though is with the "private practices" done while out in the parks playing a round. half of the regular park goers aren't into that kind of thing, and as we know, that gives us a bad name and hinders the spread of disc golf into a mainstream environment. this is where the 180 degree shift comes in. (i'm getting tired of being called a pot-head just because i play disc golf.)
I think it all comes down to common sense. If you are playing a course where you are in the open and people can see what you are doing, then don't do anything that will hurt the image of the sport. If you are playing a course in the woods, where there is no one who can see what you are doing, then you can do what ever you want as long as you do it discreetly. The same goes for PDGA events. If you really want to partake in something that is not allowed under PDGA rules, then do it in your car before or after the round...do not do it during the round. This is not rocket science. If every disc golfer went out of their way to put forth the right image for this sport, then maybe people will start to look at it with the respect that it deserves. This sport is a passion of mine, and I would really like to see it grow into the amazing potential that it has. In a few weeks, companies will be paying millions of dollars for 30 seconds of commercial time during the super bowl. If we as a community get our act together, companies like Coke and Pepsi could be fighting each other to be the main sponsor of the biggest disc golf tournamnets. Dollar amounts that are nothing to companies like that could make a huge difference in what the top pros are playing for in major events.
Some fine points, and we need to keep talking about them, and we each need to devise a plan of action, on our different levels, whatever they are.
Just keep pushing, and keep the lines of discussion open.
We are seeing some really good opportunities open in our area because of a handful of people like you. We talk, we get a gameplan, then we attack that plan and things do happen.
So please don't ever get to the point where you feel like nothing is progressing. Where would we be if Steady Ed would have given in to that thought process and quit pushing?
until there is an audience for disc golf beyond players there will never be dg in mainstream media in a big way regardless of anything done to clean up the image. imo that audience is never going to exist because it simply isn't much of a spectator sport- this is not necessarily a bad thing, softball seems pretty popular without the big money involved.

while it's a shame that guys like avery (hey jenkins!) make a blue collar wage for doing what they do as well as they do it, to some degree it is what it is.
Great thread dude... a lot of people still won't be able to see what you're trying to say, which is a shame.
I've tried to be an advocate of disc golf in Paris, TN. We have a new (year old) course here and I'm in the process of addicting all my friends and co-workers. I'm spreading the word. Our city park is alcohol free and I try to clean up any trash that others leave behind.
I agree, in any campaign (political or other wise) its important to gain public approval I think the best way to do that is by being respectful of our surroundings(parks, people, nature, etc.) and remember that disc golf courses are a privilege and not a right! I've heard many times from people that if we migrate to a ball golf type of attitude that we will sell out and become stuffy, and I have to ask do the people that say this really think that by putting on a collared shirt and acting like an adult that we will suddenly become a different person? For some people this metamorphism may happen but for me I doubt it, the point that I'm trying to make is that our greatest challenge isn't the stereotypes that others put on us but more the stereotypes that we put on ourselves. How often have you heard people say they want disc golf to grow but that they don't want it to change, I'm very sorry to be the one to break it to them but in order for there to be growth there must be change. Pure has the right idea and all the guys at Red Line would be happy to help further the sport any way we can.
I had dinner will 11 other disc golfers, and we talked about what we can do to make our sport wider known. We talked about offering clinics, free discs to new people, and other ideas. Then we got into the pot/beer debate. That was fun. What ended up happening was me having to say "Just have fun and be respectful of those around you". Jeez. Anyways, one of CMU's master students is installing a course here, and I can finally play 2 courses in one day without more than 15 minutes travel. Hooray!
Read my discussion on a letter I found from 1980 between Doug Newland and Ed Headrick. (it is listed on my page under my discussions) This seems to be the same discussion then as it is now. Most people are for themselves and do not see the greater picture. Some things have not changed in 28 years according to the 1980 letter. It comes down to the fact that we are individuals, and most people do not want to give but only take. There are leaders, followers, givers, and takers. Some people will step up while others will stand by and watch the work being done. I have found out he hard way that you can only depend on the few, not the masses. If you want it done right, you have to do it yourself.
As far as sponsors go, Ed had the same problems. Bad behavior by the players held back sponsors. I see alot of that today as well. In the end, we have done this to ourselves. Not all of us. Because there are those of us that would give our throwing arm to see the sport advance to a level we can only imagine. Respectfully submitted.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968