The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

versus

The 2 major disc golf shoe sponsors. 

Keen vs. Merrell (Vibram).

Which do you prefer and why?

Views: 2548

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Merrels seem to last longer. I have been a fan of merrel before disc golf even. Wear the moc's for casual shoes.
I gotta go with Merrell cause of the more aggresive tread patterns, and they don't have that childish looking little knob on the tip of the shoe like the Keen's do. They both are top quality shoes with comparable pricing but the Merrell's look cooler.
they're both too expensive--any good cross trainer or lightweight hiking shoe will work...
Neither! both are just OK shoes IMO.
Merrel hands down! One of the best parts about em is that Thier flagship styles (chameleon, intercept...) are available in ventalator(light and breathable), normal, and goretex/waterproof. Some are even available in boot and sandal form- so you can keep the same style all year.
Keen is known for sandals but is fairly new to shoes. The toe box Makes me think short bus;) I tried to support them for supporting us but they were just too goofy.
Since we are talking vibram, I'll bring up n.Face. Thier traction seems too much for dg- more for hiking. I also view nf as a poser brand for those that pretend they go outside.
As far as people saying they're too exspensive: how much do you normally pay for shoes- how long do they last- how often do you play? Oh, and how old/young are you?- I plan to dg for the rest of my life, so a few bucks for socks, shoes, and joint supplements are a small price for longevity.
Merrel all the way! I had no idea they sponsored DG! Great outdoor shoe/boot all day. Its premium footwear all the way around but not a bargain by any means.
I for one know how important shoes are.
Don't mind spending $$ on them if they are worth it.
Currently have 1 pair of Keens and 2 pair of Merrells.
Both are comfortable, believe that the Merrells will outlast the Keen.
Do like the marketing and exposure that Keen is producing.
But like anything else, it's durability and comfort that make a 'good shoe.'
(I had to wear corrective shoes as a child, and wish never to have my feet hurt).
For those that are too timid to purchase shoes, its your choice, but my feet are too important.
I couldn't find a pair , so I bought these. The North Face Men's Hedgehog GTX XCR

Well I must say. It's Merrell's that are the pretender, when it comes to a true outdoor shoe. I'd take North Face over Merrells any day! But for me the true winner is Montrail. They smoke these other brands when it comes to comfort and durability. But, to each his own...........
Speaking of high quality shoes...How did you like those 5-10's?
If we are talking outdoor shoes, then yes nf has great offerings-including the hedgehog. It's vibram and goretex, can't go wrong there. I personally decided against the hedgehog due to the nubs on the sole though I've seen others have sucess with them- I just imagined the nubs tearing off or messing with my rotation.
For disc golf the best are actually salamons. I just don't feel thier durability supports thier price.
Merrel offers a full line of shoes, including water and rock climbing so I can't imagine how they'd be pretenders. I made the poser comment due to nf's brand identity, not thier products so much- they do make great gear (summitt series). I just feel they chose making sure 1/10 Americans own thier danali fleece over catering to a small market. Yes it's buisness, I know, but making those choices results in sometimes losing your most loyal demographic. I don't like popular things, plain and simple. Weather it's music or fashion- if it's popular it's lame in my book;)
Keen is sponsoring Disc Golf and Vibram is also a sponsor (and now disc manufacturer). Bite Shoes gave disc golf a try a few years ago and were sponsoring Ken Climo and Solomon sponsors Barry Schultz.

Which Merrell shoe model is specific to disc golf and what players/events are they sponsoring? I love my Bite Shoes but would consider trying Keens and Merrells if they are now sponsoring the sport.

FYI, Merrell and Vibram are two separate companies. Merrell is an American company started in Vermont in 1981 and Vibram is an Italian company started in 1937. While Merrell does use Vibram soles on many models, it is not a part of the Vibram company.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968