www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I am sure everyone has discs that have dirt that just come off no matter how much soap and scrubbing you do. I am sure that adds unnecessary weight. I was just wondering if anyone has anything that gets the dirt off the discs. Because I have tried alot and can not for the life of me get my Flx Predator clean. Or does it have something to do with the plastics? and Temperatures heating up and cooling down kinda absorbing the dirt in the plastic through the pores. I just want something to get the dirt off and my discs shining like new.

Views: 8

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Mark Ellis said.....

But then I found the answer. It is called Goof Off. Goof Off is the name of a product you can buy in hardware stores. It will clean your disc so it looks as clean and shiny as new.

Be aware that there are two kinds of popular Goof Off products....The Solvent Based stuff and the Waterborne version called Goof Off 2. DO NOT use the Solvent Based Goof Off. No No No.....bad stuff to be messing with.

I wouldn't use either. I'd use warm dish soap and water. Scrub at your disc-retion.
Well I have tried hot water and soap and this dirt just will not come off. Its on my White Flx Predator Really dirty and it bugs me. Mark is that Goof off stuff like bad to touch with your skin or have you noticed any changes in flight after using it? I am going to go pick up a bottle though. Jamie what does the solvent base do to the discs? why is it so bad to use it? just curious. Thanks a bunch though Mark and Jamie.
Steve said:
Well I have tried hot water and soap and this dirt just will not come off. Its on my White Flx Predator Really dirty and it bugs me. Mark is that Goof off stuff like bad to touch with your skin or have you noticed any changes in flight after using it? I am going to go pick up a bottle though. Jamie what does the solvent base do to the discs? why is it so bad to use it? just curious. Thanks a bunch though Mark and Jamie.

I have used Goof Off and Acetone for years to take off hotstamps. One or the other will work on most hotstamps I have tried. I generally use them with cottonballs ( they sell them in the make-up aisle). If I am doing a lot of work on numerous discs then I put on plastic gloves. If I am doing a little work I usually don't bother with the gloves. The only reaction I have noticed from not using gloves is it dries out the skin on my fingers a bit.

I must be using the solvent based type (whatever that means) because the can I have just says Goof Off.

By happenstance I discovered that Goof Off also cleans the ground in dirt off of discs if you rub it vigorously (especially with scrub pads like those used for pots and pans). We have all seen old white putters that have years of dirt accumulation. In 5 minutes those discs can be as bright and shiny as new. They will feel much better, too. Be careful when using the Goof Off because it will also take off the hotstamp if it touches it. Goof Off will also take off spray stick-um (Pow'r Tac).

After I use the Goof Off or Acetone, I immediately rinse the discs in cold water. The chemicals do not appear to affect the discs except to clean them. No warping, peeling, melting, etc.

I have used the chemicals on regular and candy plastic but have not used it on FLX. I'm betting it will work just fine.

One other cool thing about the chemicals is that you can take off parts of a hotstamp and leave the rest. Use a Q-Tip and take your time and it works like an eraser on pencil marks. You can start with a regular factory hotstamp and customize it. For example the Magnet hotstamp can be erased until it only bears my initials.
I disagree with jamie. I too use goof off. It works very very good. but do beware it will take everything off your disc except magic marker. It will take your stamp off with ease

Jamie 'gr8rocshot' Ruane said:
Mark Ellis said.....

But then I found the answer. It is called Goof Off. Goof Off is the name of a product you can buy in hardware stores. It will clean your disc so it looks as clean and shiny as new.

Be aware that there are two kinds of popular Goof Off products....The Solvent Based stuff and the Waterborne version called Goof Off 2. DO NOT use the Solvent Based Goof Off. No No No.....bad stuff to be messing with.

I wouldn't use either. I'd use warm dish soap and water. Scrub at your disc-retion.
If you don't all ready know, the plastic of the disc is actually porous to a certain level.
How else would you be able to dye a disc.
Sometimes the 'dirt' penetrates the 'plastic.' Resulting in the inability to really get the golf disc clean from some stains.
Steve, any solvent based product should be used with extreme care. Goof Off is packaged in a metal container....because it will melt plastic. Not to mention the risk of chemical burns, lung tissue damage, reproductive damage and of course...brain damage.

Yes, it will turn your brain cells to mush right along with your plastic. I don't recommend the use of any solvent on any disc for the purpose of cleaning.
Jamie 'gr8rocshot' Ruane said:
Steve, any solvent based product should be used with extreme care. Goof Off is packaged in a metal container....because it will melt plastic. Not to mention the risk of chemical burns, lung tissue damage, reproductive damage and of course...brain damage.

Yes, it will turn your brain cells to mush right along with your plastic. I don't recommend the use of any solvent on any disc for the purpose of cleaning.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Whoa, Brain damage. You had me worried there for a moment. I thought it might mess with my golf game. Whew, thank goodness it is only brain damage. Just to be safe I'm going to wear gloves and tie a plastic bag tightly around my head when I use that stuff from now on. :)
I use laquer thinner for heavy cleaning or stripping stamps. haven't seen it attack any of the plastics yet. that has tolulene and methanol, along with a few other things.
I made the mistake of using DeWitts Contractor's strength Remove-it natural citrus cleaner to clean my prized Jimi Hendrix hot stamp wraith......took Jimi back to heaven!! I would recommend this product for anyone looking for a "safe" option for removing hot stamps. It does smell like the tropicana factory in brandenton, Florida though!!!
Common sense disc golfers.
Follow directions: clean in a well ventilated area, use gloves....
Remember it is only a golf disc.
Unless it hit the chains every shot, who cares?
Photo opps?
Nibs Carter said:
I use laquer thinner for heavy cleaning or stripping stamps. haven't seen it attack any of the plastics yet. that has tolulene and methanol, along with a few other things.

....Oh, but you have, the Hotstamp is comprised of plastic...just not the same compound as the disc.

Goof Off is Xylene and Tolulene.....better living....through chemicals.

Just say no to Goof Off!!! lol!!!
simple green and goof off for sure, I use acetone to remove all stamps and mold residue

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968