www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

In the past week or so the trees here in Michigan have lost most of their leaves. Now is an especially dangerous time for losing discs, even worse than most snowy conditions. Twice I have thrown pretty good looking shots, saw them land not far from the metal thing and almost lost them. The scary thing is they were both hyzer flights but the leaves are so deep they buried anyway.

So I just took out of my bag my three most valued, most irreplaceable discs (of course, the broken in, remote controlled ones). Dang, it hurts to not have the discs you rely the most on. I'm considering pulling out my putters, too. Putters should be safe from loss, shouldn't they?

Do you risk your favorites in the leaves or pull them out?

Views: 2

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Switch to Super Class during this time. Tough to lose those bigger discs. ;-)
Then switching to a trash can lid or a Hula Hoop would be superb. :)
Most trash can lids are greater than the legal 30cm diameter and of course the hula hoop has that darn "hole" in the flight plate.
No risk... No Reward.. (No Clear Discs)

But I will say that I have a complete set of Bright pink and orange FLX for the winter (snow) months. The switching process is kinda a pain but totally worth using the plastic.
Man Mark you need more remote controlled discs. Or throw a roller lol
well, i think if you concentrate on Aces, your problem will go away.
I never take discs out of my bag because of leaves, I'll spend the time it takes to find my disc especially when I know the area it landed in. It takes me longer to find discs when the leaves are down but I have never, in 22 years, lost one because of leaves.
If I am competing against Joe Gill I just hope they are also paying 2nd place.
In Texas we're lucky most years because everything goes from green to brown. Unless we get alot of rain like this year, we don't see the fall colors. So, as long as you throw any color except brown, you're usualy ok.

Now, on the other hand, it don't matter what color if your disc is buried under the leaves, and my home course is in a Pecan grove so the leaves can get a foot deep at times.
risk em.
What frustrates me is when I am stuck in my head and forget to closely pay attention to the other drives in my group. Then I know where my disc is, but I end up spending a bunch of time helping someone else find a disc that I didn't even see hit the ground. We lost one for a good twenty minutes last week in the middle of an open field and lost a lot of daylight. Makes one realize how daylight savings time was not created with disc golfers in mind.
the onlytime I pull favorites is on water course (luther britt in Lumberton) We have probably 3 holes where lake or canal water is not an issue. All the other holes, penisula shot, island shot etc. There are creatures in the water so retrieval is not alwasy an issue so I just play with the "sacrificial" discs there. My main discs are bright (neon, flambouyant) enough, I normally sont loose them in leaves.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968