www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I started carrying all Discraft in my bag with the exception of one Gateway Element. I did so because I found that, like ball golf, transitions between discs are easier if the rims and plastics feel similar (Ball golf- there is a solid reason for having matched irons (I know, I was a 1.2 HDCP)). I'm not knocking on Innova or anybody else but Discraft plastic just seems more consistent disc to disc.

So here's some free sucking up from a guy who broke par for the first time after drinking your kool-aid!

Z

I'm an old guy (49) who started playing a couple of months ago...)

Views: 17

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

not so much a fight over discraft and innova.

More that guy came onto a thread about discraft discs, just to knock discraft basically. Stuck up Innova comments drive me nuts (like they're just too good to touch a "disc-crap" disc). I play both (mainly discraft). My Discraft drivers are just as good as my Innova drivers.
Wow, I knew Ken Climo has been pro since like 80's. Never knew he was in '80 and had a signature disc then.

Banger GT has been my main putter since I started playing, really love the soft ones, they're are so, so comfortable in the hands.

ESP Flash is my favorite backhand driver, forehand so far is Pulse. Flx Buzzz is my favorite mid. I just bought a Spider last weekend cause it's rated really straight. Didn't realize Spider's have been made for that long either. My Star Wraith came in the mail today, looks and feels like it will be nice for forehand shots, kinda hoping it will good for my backhand too so then I can have one primary driver for both, maybe.

It's always to run into people that have been in the sport for a long time, cause you learn interesting things, like the couple things I just learned about those couple discs just now.

Mojo said:
...hey fellow old guy (48 and counting here). I played my first Frisbee golf tournament in 1980, while stationed at Redstone Arsenal, AL. The event was actually sponsored by Whamo, and was freaking awesome. Being from Miami, I grew up tossing discs, but had never heard of the golf side of it. Well, being stationed at the Arsenal gave me a chance to play it often, and then I took third in my first ever tournament. I was 20 then, and never saw it again until 2002 (the Army had me hopping too much to play, or even know about, this great game), while living in Kansas City. I still have my first two discs - Innova KC Pro Eagle and ProLine Spider. Well, fast-forward and now I have about 150 discs...most of them being Innova and Discraft. I find that I am pretty much split between the two, though my favorite three discs in my bag are: Soft Banger GT, Z-Buzz and an ESP Flash. I love the over-stable discs from Innova, but seem to like the stable and understable discs from Discraft. Okay, there is my little story concerning this post. If it works...use it! If it doesn't, give it away:)
I affirm the people who have said that good players can throw with anything. The utility of a disc is personal, and subjective. Comfort and technique over brand loyalty.

Contrasting that, I throw Discraft exclusively. Firstly because they're made in Michigan, and secondly because I really just like their molds and plastic. I've tried to mix my bag plenty of times. Every time I try and put a destroyer, or a wizard in there, I just get strong sense of treason.

Innova v. Discraft = Coke v. Pepsi; tastes and preferences. Innova makes great discs, I just don't throw them. If I really didn't like Discraft discs, I wouldn't keep them in my bag. Now I recognize the argument that Innova has "superior" drivers, but since when does adding 15-20 feet to my game severely cut strokes? Am I playing that many course with holes just on the brink of a manageable putt? As for midrange discs - roc, buzz, shockwave, element; just get it to the basket. Putters? Practice.
Well put. I have that feeling when I put a Innova in my bag, like your cheating on your Discraft, lol. I've gone back and forth between only Discraft in my bag and a mix with Innova, Gateway.

Seems I play a bit better with all same company plastic and type of plastic, like not only Discraft, but I almost throw nothing but ESP and Flx (other then eliteZ for overhead shots, just takes the beating of the shot a bit better). Other then that I put like a eliteZ or Champion plastic in my hand and it seems to slip out too easy.

None the less I feel like at times I'm just as bad if I don't try out Innova discs or whatever brand sometimes in my bag. Because then I'm doing the same, just another brand.

I could play devils advocate about the comment of 15-20ft farther drives for Innova not making a difference with that could be the difference of a 20ft putt or a 35-40ft putt. I personally think some Innova drivers out drive Discraft and some Discraft drivers out drive some Innova drivers as well. I havn't had a Innova disc drive farther then my Flash backhand or my Pulse sidearm (given I have tried lots of drivers backhand, but I've only tried a handful forehand).

AI D-G said:
I affirm the people who have said that good players can throw with anything. The utility of a disc is personal, and subjective. Comfort and technique over brand loyalty.

Contrasting that, I throw Discraft exclusively. Firstly because they're made in Michigan, and secondly because I really just like their molds and plastic. I've tried to mix my bag plenty of times. Every time I try and put a destroyer, or a wizard in there, I just get strong sense of treason.

Innova v. Discraft = Coke v. Pepsi; tastes and preferences. Innova makes great discs, I just don't throw them. If I really didn't like Discraft discs, I wouldn't keep them in my bag. Now I recognize the argument that Innova has "superior" drivers, but since when does adding 15-20 feet to my game severely cut strokes? Am I playing that many course with holes just on the brink of a manageable putt? As for midrange discs - roc, buzz, shockwave, element; just get it to the basket. Putters? Practice.
About the extra distance - it was a dicey comment to make, but I was trying to emphasize this: lets say you throw 360 ft with a Discraft disc, and 375 ft with an Innova disc. Out of a given 24 holes, how many are exactly 400' (disregarding any obstacles in the fairway)? Adding distance makes anybody feel good about their game, but if it doesn't add to birdie conversion, I don't care about it. Same thing with the 800' hole; 2 perfect drives is gonna get you to 750 with the Innova disc. However, if you have more control with an Innova disc, by all means throw it.

PoeticLogic said:
Well put. I have that feeling when I put a Innova in my bag, like your cheating on your Discraft, lol. I've gone back and forth between only Discraft in my bag and a mix with Innova, Gateway.

Seems I play a bit better with all same company plastic and type of plastic, like not only Discraft, but I almost throw nothing but ESP and Flx (other then eliteZ for overhead shots, just takes the beating of the shot a bit better). Other then that I put like a eliteZ or Champion plastic in my hand and it seems to slip out too easy.

None the less I feel like at times I'm just as bad if I don't try out Innova discs or whatever brand sometimes in my bag. Because then I'm doing the same, just another brand.

I could play devils advocate about the comment of 15-20ft farther drives for Innova not making a difference with that could be the difference of a 20ft putt or a 35-40ft putt. I personally think some Innova drivers out drive Discraft and some Discraft drivers out drive some Innova drivers as well. I havn't had a Innova disc drive farther then my Flash backhand or my Pulse sidearm (given I have tried lots of drivers backhand, but I've only tried a handful forehand).

AI D-G said:

Yeah, I just got a Classic Aviar like a week ago and love it (actually didn't care for the Aviar AP, seemed to skip on baskets). The Classic Aviar is more dead straight then any putter I've thrown (and I've tried a ton of them). Seems to really like the chains for me, though doesn't always stay in them, but that just happens sometimes with any putter.

That's why I've been trying some other discs by Innova as well like the Spider, and just got a Star Wraith the other day, plan on trying a Roc sometime (though nothing will take my Buzzz out of my bag).

AI D-G said:
About the extra distance - it was a dicey comment to make, but I was trying to emphasize this: lets say you throw 360 ft with a Discraft disc, and 375 ft with an Innova disc. Out of a given 24 holes, how many are exactly 400' (disregarding any obstacles in the fairway)? Adding distance makes anybody feel good about their game, but if it doesn't add to birdie conversion, I don't care about it. Same thing with the 800' hole; 2 perfect drives is gonna get you to 750 with the Innova disc. However, if you have more control with an Innova disc, by all means throw it.

PoeticLogic said:

AI D-G said:

Such an entertaining conversation to read through.
When i started i bought what looked good art wise, spent a lot of money at What was Fly forgot its old name it is gone now.
i threw a lot of innova back then and now i throw the JLS as a driver rarely and all discraft mid's and specialty discs. i do throw the wham-o putter (touchline) though i found it gets sticky when it get hot and muggy. so i am looking for a backup putter that i can use on those days.

I eventaully learned that don't buy discs because they look good unless you are collecting them. What i throw now i have like 5-10 of each and most of them aren't made anymore.

I haven't been playing that long but by the time i settled on my discs of preference they were like first generation disccraft.
I started off throwing valkyries and then i couldn't find them in my usual stores so i went through a period of adjusting and now i am done. so when i am out and about if i see any of my discs i live by, i buy them or trade whatever it takes.

My #1 disc is the X Stratus
Go with whatever you throw and have fun
I mix and match, what ever feels good in my hand I throw.
Personally, I have no preference either way. I recognize that each manufacturer has their strengths and weaknesses, but to commit your yourself to a certain brand just for the sake of loyalty seems pointless (unless said brand is paying you in some fashion, I guess...). I started with Innova. They predominantly occupy my bag. I've recently added a few Discraft models because I wanted to try them out. I love my new EliteZ Crush, and may even buy this Buzzz I've heard so much about. I guess I just feel like if I limited myself to just one brand, I'd miss out on everything the other brand has to offer. Just my thoughts on the matter...
well said AI

A.I. said:

Haha.. i haven't met him yet but am in the same circle of friends. He did design my home course so that tells you a little more about how cool he is!
hey now, I was always told it was the Archer,not the Arrow.Peace

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968