www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Well I'll start off with the obvious. I am 30 years old and not getting any younger.

I took a long break from disc golf this winter. I didnt play from november until the end of march. for the first time in my life of playing sports i am experiencing knee pain. It is a sore spot on the inside of the right knee(mostly RHBH) and when i practice the motion i can tell the soreness comes from the plant and pivot.

So my question comes to this. Is this pain similar to the soreness i get every spring from over exerting my right arm? This is a pain i am familiar with. As i live in Michigan, every spring the snow melts the air warms and all i want to do all day is throw. This pain usually subsides within the first couple weeks from using those long forgotton muscles.

Should i be worried about my knee? Should i take a little time off to heal? I sure dont want to take any time off, but i sure as all dont want to have problems all year. Anybody experience similar issues? What types of exercises/strectches are good for the knee?

Views: 3

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ice is magic.

Go twenty minutes on, twenty minutes off for a couple hours at night.

It might fix it completely. It is doesn't then something more serious is happening.
Hopefully its nothing serious. You may want to give it some rest as hard as that will be. I started having knee pain in July 08. It became progressively worse and got to the point that it did not get much better even after taking several weeks off. I also totally revamped my game by switching to RHFH. I kept playing, occasionally taking a few weeks off here and there when it flared up especailly bad. Finally, this past Feb., I decided to take care of it. An MRI confirmed that I had torn my meniscus(cushion between upper and lower leg bones). I had surgery to repair it on Mar. 1st. My knee is sllllllooowly getting better. I haven't played since Feb. 28th. It still may be another month or more before I play again. Being 42 doesn't help the situation.

Ice it like Mark suggests and take anti-inflamatories like Alleve and Motrin as well. Again, I know from personal experience, the hard part is resting it. If after doing all this you still experience pain or feel a kind of clicking/popping in your knee when you move it--you'll need to get it taken care of.
Best of luck with this.
Ive been icing the knee for the last three days and stretching it out every morning and night. The knee was feeling a little better by the end of today, and well my desire got me. i played a round out at fallasburg park--which is a tough wooded hilly course and so far no big pain. i am going to ice tonight, take some tylenol and do some stretching.

Thanks for the replies.
I had this same issue from time to time and it seemed that it was footwear for me, since I've changed my shoes...things have been better.
I am a massage therapist and from what I can tell you is that your probably pulling your ITB and other tendons surrounding your knee due to following through without rotating your plant foot. A lot of players don't pivot correctly putting to much stress on the tendons. Future problems will be present without the change.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968