www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Let's compare/contrast (argue) about these two upstart companies The innova/discraft bashing is getting old

Views: 328

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

nitegolfer said:
nitegolfer said:
Lattitude 64 is way better than gateway, hands down.

Oh no you didn't, Gateway is much better.

Are you gonna be okay man?? :-) LOL by the way.
OK, I get it. Disc Golf Center has 35 different entries for Gateway discs because they list 6 Wizards, 5 Warlocks, 5 Voodoos and 5 Magics since they list E, Medium, Soft, Super Soft and Super Stupid Soft as different entries and still have a listing for the old "firm" Wizards. They can list them 21 times, it's still four putters.

You will also notice they have no Hybrids in stock, no Blast DTs, very few Rage, very few Blurr, very few Blaze, and all the Diablos are 171-173g, Really, anything that has not been run in the clear E yet is getting pretty hard to find. That a shame, becasue the Gateway S plastic is hands-down the best base plastic on the market. It's too bad so few people throw base plastic anymore, or that would be more of a selling point for them. It's too bad for me as well, since I need some S Hybrids and the pickings are slim.

DISC GOLF ROCKS MY SOCKS!! said:
Yeah combining all the different plastics Gateway offers and diffrent flexes. DISCGOLFCENTER.COM has all those discs available.
Love the Riot want to try the vision. Throw SS Wizards and an Assassin. Love the E plastic of the Assassin. Love the opto line. Wish I could get ahold of one of those glittery ones of Latitude's. Gonna buy a Striker soon. I don't have much love for one company and I think it's really strange for anyone who isn't affiliated or sponsored by a company to be so in love with just one brand. You're missing out by not trying new stuff. I would love to have one of every disc ever someday. And I'd throw em all.
Of course when over half of players use Innova. Duh, I play a lot of Innova as well, but also openminded enough to carry Discraft, Millennium as well (used to carry some Gateway as well), just don't see the point on being stuck up enough to shove it into every thread, even when it has nothing to do with Innova at all!
Not to mention Aviar is one of the only putters to be around since 1983. So how could putters that have been made for ten years or less get more championships then one that has been around for over 25yrs.

I mean if you go by that then Challenger must be the best cause Nate Doss got Championship 2 times out of the past 5 yrs and is the only one of the top 4 or 5 players using it (David Feldberg, Avery J. , Ken Climo). So one could say well that must mean Discraft is the best brand cause one out of the top 4 or 5 players use it yet that person got 2 chamionships out of the past 5 championships and is the only one that uses Discraft instead of Innova.

Or one could just leave the stuck up Innova comments in a thread thats about Innova topics rather then on a Gateway/Lattitude thread that said flat out that the stupid Innova/discraft bashing is getting old. As in talk about the subject not your stupid opinion on Innova vs other discs. Cause it just makes you look like yet another stuck up Innova player.

Jamie said:
Wanted to point out that Aviar has more championships than all other putters combined. No need to really agrue that point I guess. Hope this doesn't offend anyone. I have just come to realize that some folks on here are very very very sensitive. INNOVA 4 LIFE.
mateo said:
Gateway makes the best putters out there. Sure there are alot of aviar, challenger and magnet people out there, but nothing beats a wizard for true stability. I currently also use their new putter, the voodoo, downhill putts outside of 25 feet, something about the straight forward drop/fade of its flight. Also, Gateway has nailed an incredible mix of polymers in their plastic. It is really nice to have putters of the same mold, with the same stiffness, with different amounts of tack/grip on the exterior.
I have not thrown any Gateway drivers, but have owned an element and demon before, can't say that I would ever throw the demon unless there were 30 mph head winds, and the element is a quick mid-range, almost a slow driver, somewhere slower than a leopard with a little more stability. It is a larger diameter midrange, so it has decent glide. I found it to be a nice alternative to an Innova Shark, which has its distance limits due low HSS.

As for Latitude 64, I have only thrown two discs, the Core and the Vision, both in the Opto plastic. This is where Lat 64 has a potential edge on any other disc manufacture...the Opto line is the best feeling plastic there is.
I like the Core as a low speed midrange or a lofty turnover short range driver. Fairly useful for nice and low hyzer flips. I would probably have kept it in the bag if its uses weren't covered by the more versatile twosome I keep for the same purposes, the Innova Champ. Coyote and Star Kite.
The Vision I love as a long turnover driver, but is also very good for hyzer-flips and tail winds that need to turn a little. I think of the Vision as a slightly less stable Beast.

I have never thrown nor have I met anyone who has thrown a Lat 64 putter.

So there it is: Gateway has the edge on putters, Lat 64 has it on plastic. Doesn't seem very exclusive to me, but I am a fan of the mixed bag.
First off your a great owner. I've talked you on email, great guy, takes time out for your customers. You might remember maybe, I was throwing you a idea for a slogan for Gateway discs I thought of.

Though I like Millennium as well, so if Millennium is Innova Jr., doesn't that make Gateway Quest Jr. being they manufacture your discs?????

Congrads to Nikko on his recent first win, without a doubt he will be a world champion one day. Who knows maybe this will be his year. I was shocked to see he cut off all his hair, I liked the long wild bushy hair.

dan mccormick said:
i left out Quest because i was trying to keep the conversation about companies that make usable discs not just round crap made outta old air jordans. Hey let's argue the merits of Quest vs. Daredevil vs Snap vs Innova jr (millenium) vs innova jr jr (dicsmania) vs DGA

da "kingpin" said:
i like the gateway that i have thrown so far but most have been putters and approach discs; wizard, warlock, voodo. couple buddies have some drivers like the diablo DT and they really like them, found a blurr and threw it once had no real like/dislikes about it. have never thrown any lat64 plastic so i cant comment on them. why have you left out quest AT? as far as i know they are only company coming up with anything from outside of the box. people really liked thier turbo putters when they were PDGA approved. i have heard that thier "wheel"? is the biggest piece of crap ever invented and put into production, i personally couldnt even get a clean release to see if it even rolled straight with a friends. they do make a lot of understable discs that i have never even seen, but would like to try out.
total not worth posting, but maybe it will stir up some contravesy. oh god donny sydrome, shit, im screwed.
I'm Dan Mccormick not Dave McCormack(Gateway) and this thread was meant to be a slightly sarcastic jab at the " I'm a one company only golfer" there is some much cool stuff out there it seems sorta silly but to each their own
PoeticLogic said:
First off your a great owner. I've talked you on email, great guy, takes time out for your customers. You might remember maybe, I was throwing you a idea for a slogan for Gateway discs I thought of.

Though I like Millennium as well, so if Millennium is Innova Jr., doesn't that make Gateway Quest Jr. being they manufacture your discs?????

Congrads to Nikko on his recent first win, without a doubt he will be a world champion one day. Who knows maybe this will be his year. I was shocked to see he cut off all his hair, I liked the long wild bushy hair.

dan mccormick said:
i left out Quest because i was trying to keep the conversation about companies that make usable discs not just round crap made outta old air jordans. Hey let's argue the merits of Quest vs. Daredevil vs Snap vs Innova jr (millenium) vs innova jr jr (dicsmania) vs DGA

da "kingpin" said:
i like the gateway that i have thrown so far but most have been putters and approach discs; wizard, warlock, voodo. couple buddies have some drivers like the diablo DT and they really like them, found a blurr and threw it once had no real like/dislikes about it. have never thrown any lat64 plastic so i cant comment on them. why have you left out quest AT? as far as i know they are only company coming up with anything from outside of the box. people really liked thier turbo putters when they were PDGA approved. i have heard that thier "wheel"? is the biggest piece of crap ever invented and put into production, i personally couldnt even get a clean release to see if it even rolled straight with a friends. they do make a lot of understable discs that i have never even seen, but would like to try out.
total not worth posting, but maybe it will stir up some contravesy. oh god donny sydrome, shit, im screwed.
lol, sorry. Very similiar name.

dan mccormick said:
I'm Dan Mccormick not Dave McCormack(Gateway) and this thread was meant to be a slightly sarcastic jab at the " I'm a one company only golfer" there is some much cool stuff out there it seems sorta silly but to each their own
PoeticLogic said:

dan mccormick said:

da "kingpin" said:
Gateway Disc Sports 844 Sabre
Gateway Disc Sports Apache
Gateway Disc Sports Assassin
Gateway Disc Sports Blast DT
Gateway Disc Sports Blaze
Gateway Disc Sports Blurr
Gateway Disc Sports Chief
Gateway Disc Sports Demon
Gateway Disc Sports Diablo DT
Gateway Disc Sports Element
Gateway Disc Sports Element X
Gateway Disc Sports Hybrid
Gateway Disc Sports Illusion
Gateway Disc Sports Magic
Gateway Disc Sports Rage
Gateway Disc Sports Sabre
Gateway Disc Sports Scout
Gateway Disc Sports Speed Demon
Gateway Disc Sports Speed Demon DT
Gateway Disc Sports Spirit
Gateway Disc Sports Warlock
Gateway Disc Sports Warrior
Gateway Disc Sports Wizard
The current re-tool and not yet approved discs are:
Gateway Disc Sports Voodoo
Gateway Disc Sports Warrior re-tool
Gateway Disc Sports Apex

I count 26 without including plastic. This does not include those discs made with Quest i.e. Inferno, Raging Inferno, & Raging Inferno D.T. I still have these with the Gateway stamp and in E plastic, not in SRP. LOL, I still remember when they tried to do the "D.T." there were some weird test runs and Dave Mac had them in his truck right after they came out...it was funny when Quest went out on their own they did some crazy stuff.
Some of these aren't made anymore though. Never heard of Apex? They don't make Element X or Scout anymore. Never heard of Apache, that one not made anymore either? So that's 3 of them I just thought of. Gateway has way more discs then Lattitude as far as I know though.

Smokey said:
Gateway Disc Sports Rage
The current re-tool and not yet approved discs are:
Gateway Disc Sports Apex

I count 26 without including plastic.
Really, I'm out of touch on this. When did Gateway and Quest split? So is Gateway making their own discs now?

Scott Kickbusch said:
Ok, I'll bite...where did you get 35 Gateway discs? Wizard, Warlock, Voodoo, Magic, Element, Warrior, Demon, Sabre, Blaze, Assassin, Hybrid, Illusion, Blurr, Diablo DT, Blast DT, Rage, Speed Demon, Spirit...I get 18. Some of those like the Diablo and the Blast have not been run in a long, long time. Good luck finding a decent selection of those discs.

I guess if you counted an S Sabre and an E Sabre as two different discs and did that for all their discs, you might come up with 35 discs. That's a stretch, though.

Gateway IS working on a driver that I have heard referred to as the Apex. It sounds like a disc to replace the Inferno, which WAS a good hyzerflip driver when it was sold by Gateway. Once Gateway and Quest split, the Inferno was ruined. At any rate, faster-longer Assassin was what I heard the Apex will be.
Not to be a jerk, but I'll be a jerk.

Out of production:

Not yet in production:
Gateway Disc Sports Apex

Which leaves you with:
Gateway Disc Sports Rage

Which is what I said in the first place.

Smokey said:
I count 26 without including plastic. This does not include those discs made with Quest i.e. Inferno, Raging Inferno, & Raging Inferno D.T. I still have these with the Gateway stamp and in E plastic, not in SRP. LOL, I still remember when they tried to do the "D.T." there were some weird test runs and Dave Mac had them in his truck right after they came out...it was funny when Quest went out on their own they did some crazy stuff.
Gateway always made their own discs. Almost all of the Gateway discs are made by Gateway in St. Louis. However, I think Dave has always been pretty open about the fact that he likes designing courses more than he likes making discs. I think in a perfect world Dave would outsource the disc manufacturing so he could devote more time to designing courses.

Gateway had a partnership with Quest for about a year, so the Inferno was released as a Gateway disc. So was the 10 M Brick. The company's still work together, as the Diablo DT is made by Quest for Gateway. However they are not in a "partnership" any more. The Odyssey series and the Inferno are the main discs I remember that were sold and promoted by Gateway that actually were Quest discs, but there could be others I missed.

At any rate, it's actually are very small % of Gateway's discs that were involved. Not really enough to mention. The only reason I mentioned it was becasue I loved the Gateway Inferno runs, but the plastic on the later Quest runs was junk. Now the disc has been re-tooled and isn't even worth throwing.

PoeticLogic said:
Really, I'm out of touch on this. When did Gateway and Quest split? So is Gateway making their own discs now?

Scott Kickbusch said:
Ok, I'll bite...where did you get 35 Gateway discs? Wizard, Warlock, Voodoo, Magic, Element, Warrior, Demon, Sabre, Blaze, Assassin, Hybrid, Illusion, Blurr, Diablo DT, Blast DT, Rage, Speed Demon, Spirit...I get 18. Some of those like the Diablo and the Blast have not been run in a long, long time. Good luck finding a decent selection of those discs.

I guess if you counted an S Sabre and an E Sabre as two different discs and did that for all their discs, you might come up with 35 discs. That's a stretch, though.

Gateway IS working on a driver that I have heard referred to as the Apex. It sounds like a disc to replace the Inferno, which WAS a good hyzerflip driver when it was sold by Gateway. Once Gateway and Quest split, the Inferno was ruined. At any rate, faster-longer Assassin was what I heard the Apex will be.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968