www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

so i play alot of rec rounds and shoot pretty good for my age im pretty young and have been playing for 4 years i generally shoot around -5 to +1 on pro level courses( kaposia, north valley, blue ribbon pines, hyland SSA all in minnesota and all played or have been played in a NT Minnesota majestic) but when it comes to tournament or leagues i just cant seem to throw as good as i know im capable of. any ideas for staying calm and shooting consistent

Thanks
Mike

Views: 9

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Nerves !!!...it's in your head. Try playing with a MP3 player with good tunes to keep you from hearing your inner monologue describing in brutal detail on how your going to shank your next shot. : )
One difference which may not be true for you but is for many is that players don't always go strictly by the rules in casual rounds. I'm not talking about things like not counting OB penalties which are obvious, but foot faults and not putting out are more common in casual play. When you have to make that 12 footer during official rounds, especially at an Am level, it's not a gimme like it might be during practice. League and tourney play is usually slower and your focus is taken away because you are supposed to be paying attention to what the others in your group are doing. This change of pace and additional distractions takes some getting used to.
Stop playing casual rounds! Every round you play pretend like it is a tournament, think that you are 5 strokes back at the start of every hole and see how it plays a role in your "casual play"

Also during your casual round encourage people to try and distract you while you focus to drive or putt. It will help you in the long run when there are no distractions your concentration will be hot.

Lastly, focus only on the shot in hand and forget about the last shots and future shots.
It's all in your head.
Play the tournaments like its casual. Escept follow the rules. (of course) but have fun. Dont but too much pressure on yourself just becuase its a tournament. Follow the rules, but meet new people, and play some disc golf. Do you notice the word "Play" is in there. We are all "playing" disc golf. "Playing" meant fun and thats how it should be. Relax, have fun, shoot the hell out of them discs!!!
I have the same problem. I am trying to be cool and calm in tourny play. The speed (a snail) at which we move at an event, gives me to much time to ponder.

I think throwing more casual rounds as playing for real might help.
i like this one
If possible playing more league nights, Sundog is coming up (Tuesdays), plus there is Westsidde Wednesdays, Blue Ribbons on Thursdays, also there are some on Mondays as well... maybe you don't want to play everyone but the more you play at league tempo the better you'll be in tourneys -- and try to mix it up and play with some other people at these events, that helps too.
Having a short memory out on the course certainly is crucial. You can't do anything about the previous shots. Focus on the shot in front of you.
I think that number one you just have to get used to the slower speed of play in tournaments, but also remember that you are there to have fun. Winning is a good thing, but don't concentrate on that. Concentrate on one shot at a time and play your own game. Find your own routes, throw your own shots and relax. Don't get caught up focusing on one bad shot. Just figure out how to best deal with the situation and move on. Experience counts for a lot, so if you keep doing what you are doing, you will do well. Relax and have fun.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968