www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

The first time I threw a driver (Discraft XL 174g) that was recommended to me by the local shop, It flew about a 150' and was banking left out of my hand. I played 18 holes that day and was getting it out to about 200' by the end of the round and I was aiming right so it would fade left toward the center of the fairway. I was hoping that nobody saw me and decided I better seek some advice and quick.

I came back the next day and saw the guy in the pro shop, he was a tennis dude and had no clue about disc golf other than he sold discs. I saw a couple guys out front getting their gear ready to go play a round. I was polite and asked nicely if they could give me any advice on what I was doing wrong or if I had purchased the wrong kind of disc. I was told to go buy a Roc and learn to throw it 300' and then come back and ask for advice.

I went home after playing another bank left all day 18 holes and got on my computer. You Tube is a wonderful tool for disc golf research. The first videos I watched where of Mark Ellis explaining how to throw a hyzer and an anhyzer, forehand, backhand, and how to make the most immediate gains right away. This helped, but something was missing and I searched for soembody demonstrating technical driving technique. Dan Beato popped up, and he was amazing in his direct instruction and the slowmo shots where right on the money.

My next several rounds where a blast, and nowhere in those videos was there a disclaimer that I needed to throw a Roc 300' before I watched them. For that matter, I have seen Mr Ellis recommend using all discs from the start and learning a complete game.

I still lacked the ability to get the disc out to 300', you know, the magic first hudle that qulifies you as a real disc golfer.(Kidding) One day I was playing a round and caught the single in front of me and we joined up. He was throwing an understable disc, what was that? He showed me his Monarch and said give it a rip; using the hard and flat throw that I had been, I ripped the longest drive I had ever thrown and ran to the disc shop and bought a Monarch. It changed my game right there and hooked me for life on disc golf.

I eventualy started flipping the disc, and had to learn how to bring a disc out on a hyzer an let it turn up and run. Once that wasn't enough I started to increase disc weight and then stability, even though I still throw some understable molds to this day.

I have not perfected the game yet, but I have entered and won some tournaments and I look forward to playing every day. I would have become bored and disgusted if I wasn't able to pacify my game by playing with drivers that where meant to help beginners. I have learned to control my armspeed, realease, snap, and many other aspects of the by throwing a variety of discs as I have learned to play.

So why is it so popular to make fun of new understable discs that are fast and long. If you don't throw them right, they don't work. The disc will tell you what you are doing wrong by how it flies. If you can't correct it without screwing up the semblence of a normal throwing motion, then this disc is not for you, move on. I have heard all the stories about learning the basics and throwing smaller winged discs to get the feel and snap required to play this game and so on and so on. Either way, I learned, and it seemed like a lot more fun throwing long from the start.

I guess I should have blogged this....sorry....Thoughts

Views: 46

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

When a disc that is thrown flat, or on hyzer, dives to the right and doesn't fade out of it, but just keeps diving right. Several things can cause this, overpowering the disc, off axis torq, not imparting enough spin on the disc to help the stability, etc...

So if a disc is "Overstable" and it flies to the right or if a disc is "Understable" and it flies to the left, it is "Flippy".  Basically, if a disc flies differently then it is supposed to fly, it is "Flippy".  I guess that makes sense.  I had originally thought that the disc actually flips over or something.

Thank you

This gets complicated due to throwing styles.  For RHBH or LHFH, flippy discs will turn right.  For RHFH or LHBH, flippy discs will turn left.  Discs can be designed to be understable but they can get that way due to too much beating :P.

Yes.  Throwing styles complicate things---most people throw RHBH (right-handed, back-hand)---so the base descriptions tend to be for them.  Oversimplified, think

Overstable = turning left

Understable = turning right (flippy)

All discs, as they wear in, become less overstable or more understable.

(For lefties throwing backhand, or righties throwing forehand/sidearm, reverse those descriptions).

Note that the descriptions (turning left, turning right) vary depending on how hard the disc is thrown (and many other factors).   With my noodle arm, a disc labeled "understable" may go straight for me.....I won't call it flippy until it starts turning over.  Your mileage may vary.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968