www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Ok, this one is going to chap a lot of people, but if we can have a civil discussuion and just present the facts we can get through it. I really want to know, so don't think I'm just being an idiot, although I will be playing the antagonist in this disccission.

Here it is: Why is it that so many people recommend to new players that they use Putters and Mids to learn with? We have all heard some form of the statement, "Go learn to throw your putter 300 feet and then you'll understand how to throw", or some varieant on this.

I call BULLSH*T!

I think what you'll learn is how to throw your putter 300 feet.

I think a more well rounded approach to the game, learning to throw all discs and understanding the numbers and controlling your plastic purchases is a better way to go. Learning the different grips, reach back, runup, keeping things flat and straight is a better approach.

OK GUYS, KILL IT!

Views: 1502

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This is pretty much what I said as well Mark, that it isn't about the plastic, it's about the technique. And as you say practice and being around other good players will improve a person's technique. The rest should be left up to the individual.

the problem is that the individuals who are trying to "expand" our way of thinking are at least as narrow minded

it's like people who try to improve our government by using the same policies and processes. it's like the kettle calling the pot black

Very well worded. Thank you Mark. I think that you are right about playing with better players is one of (if not the best ways) to improve your game. I resisted this specific philosophy for a long time beacause I only wanted to play with my friends (many of the better disc golfers in my area are straight douches) and I could still beat many of the pro's. But my "platos" got much longer and tougher to overcome. I am fortunate now to know and play with some great locals players who are also great people. I still mostly play with friends and I get better by playing with them (many are as good as me)- but I benefit tons by playing with the "ballers"

Okay ! Nobody, told me how to throw. I just went out and started throwing. Alone the way, I checked out the internet and talk with other player. On someday's, I use a lot of Midrange, on long holes and get better respond's. NOW ! Iam lucky, because my locate golf course (BALL), is never uesed much, so I go and throw Drivers one day, next time Midrange's and practised putting at the flag. So, a begginer should have one of each disc type to start with. Now, you can disagree, with what brand to start with. :) :) :)

http://youtu.be/Pc4bleBmk5Q  Time marker 5:19. What Nate Sexton said is my point exactly. Control first, then distance.

awesome, thanks for posting the link

Not a problem.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968