www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Ok, this one is going to chap a lot of people, but if we can have a civil discussuion and just present the facts we can get through it. I really want to know, so don't think I'm just being an idiot, although I will be playing the antagonist in this disccission.

Here it is: Why is it that so many people recommend to new players that they use Putters and Mids to learn with? We have all heard some form of the statement, "Go learn to throw your putter 300 feet and then you'll understand how to throw", or some varieant on this.

I call BULLSH*T!

I think what you'll learn is how to throw your putter 300 feet.

I think a more well rounded approach to the game, learning to throw all discs and understanding the numbers and controlling your plastic purchases is a better way to go. Learning the different grips, reach back, runup, keeping things flat and straight is a better approach.

OK GUYS, KILL IT!

Views: 1518

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It seems like, to me anyway, that ALL the Disc Golf sites with Forums are Brewing more and more with those that have the "Right Answer". No One is 100% Correct. I am NOT telling anyone what is Correct, only what I have learned and what has worked for Me Personally. Some people just want to post to stir up Doo-Doo because it's the Internet and they can do that. Fine by me. I Propose a Solution. Let's all meet up by Region for a Putters and Mids vs. Drivers Tourney. People that can Drive 300+ feet with their putters and mids will be on one team by region, those of us with noodley arms and have to use drivers will be on another team by region. Regional Teams that bring in the lowest score for the particular side of the debate will settle the debate once and for all. After that point, which ever side of the Debate that Won the Tourney will be the STRICT RULE FOR ALL OF US when giving advice to Newbies on ANY Disc Golf related website. Any other advice given that does not follow the STRICT Guidelines of the Winning side of the debate will constitute Disc Golf TREASON, and will be Punishable by Hanging, stoning, and/or firing squad at the Closest disc golf course to the said offense, in front of other disc golfers. 

Carry On..... :)  :)  :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) I'm Joking, BTW. ;)

Uuuuhhmmm Jeff, You might want to remove stoning. The majority of disc golfers will throw the match so they could get "stoned" to death. How about electricution instead. Sorry for the profiling, but I've been playing long enough to stop worring about there being a skunk in the woods :)

After having read this entire thing, I feel compelled to chime in my two cents. I did not learn to throw only using mids and putters. I might be able to really crank a putter out to about 250' but why would I want to? That's what I have fairway plastic for. I know that I have much better results throwing to my capabilities. I throw a putter from about 180' and in, a mid from 180' to 230', fairway plastic from 230'- 280' and drivers for anything further. I don't have a big arm, I can't throw 400' (wish I could) but I can't so I don't try. 350 is as good as it gets, 300'- 325 is more likely. My point is I've learned to throw to my strengths, and to pick the right disc for the conditions,lie,shot shape, etc...

totally true, sometimes even in the middle of a tournament

this is hilarious. By reading this thread "All day Corey" will be convinced that he is wrong? This threads purpose may have been to show that mids and putters aren't the best way to learn, but this isn't the outcome. There are hardly any points supporting your thesis and dozens of posts supporting the contrary. Tons of people have pointed out that you "know-it-alls" really don't know anything. Your wisdom is not much different than a new disc golfer trying to figure out how they can improve.

Putters are a Great Learning Tool for Disc Golf.  So are Stable Mid-Range Disc's that you can throw hard.

Practice at some Open field in your area with Drivers ( ALL KINDS ) and see the flight path of each.  Throw them with the wind , cross wind and against the wind. You will know how each responds to the amount of snap you put on it and the amount of Angle of release you use.

JUST LEARN EVERYTHING !!!!!!!!!!

Nate your my hero!!! Thank you for stating the obvious. By the way I now your buddy Nate Harris. He used to live up there where your at. Any way back to the discussion. I'm  going to have to stop trying teach people to fish. I'll just give them a fish. "Here you go buddy." "What your disc didn't go where you wanted it to?" "That's another stroke." Talk is cheap and actions speak greater than words. Results are everything. I'm not content  with mediocracy. No person that does anything in life should be. I tried to shed some light on the subject but the school of hard knocks is always the most efficient way of shifting a persons perception. Good luck.

Break out the cry towels....................

Lol! I didn't think that one out very well.... :)

rad. thank you. the other nasty is hella cool and a friend of mine. see you on the greens 

It doesn't matter what tons of people think when the "know-it-alls" are right, thats why they are called "know-it-alls".

When maybe the best teacher/ambassador (Mark Ellis)  that the sport currently has to offer comes on and explains why he teaches a complete approach, people should listen. When he goes on to explain that he doesn't know of any top pros that took up disc golf from a mids/putters only approach, he's probably right.

I never claimed to know it all, I just called "BS" on the whole mids and putters only approach.

The term know it all is not a term of endearment. It's sarcasm. I think I'll  give Barsby a call and see what he thinks. I should hit up Nate and Valory,they should have anwsers. This of course is also sarcasm. BASIC DISC FUNDAMENTALES. THROW SLOW NEUTRAL DISC. SLOW DISC MAKES FLAWS IN THROWING TECHNIQUE MORE APPEARENT. CORRECT FLAWS. NOW THROW BETTER. MOVE UP TO FASTER DISC. REPEAT PROCESS. Otherwise known as practice. NOW THROW WELL. Practice, Practice, Practice. NOW THROW GREAT. IF PRACTICE PUTT TOO, MIGHT GO SOME WHERE WITH WHAT YOU "KNOW". Who the hell cares what disc you throw on what hole. your game is not their game. THE END.   

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968