www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Ok, this one is going to chap a lot of people, but if we can have a civil discussuion and just present the facts we can get through it. I really want to know, so don't think I'm just being an idiot, although I will be playing the antagonist in this disccission.

Here it is: Why is it that so many people recommend to new players that they use Putters and Mids to learn with? We have all heard some form of the statement, "Go learn to throw your putter 300 feet and then you'll understand how to throw", or some varieant on this.

I call BULLSH*T!

I think what you'll learn is how to throw your putter 300 feet.

I think a more well rounded approach to the game, learning to throw all discs and understanding the numbers and controlling your plastic purchases is a better way to go. Learning the different grips, reach back, runup, keeping things flat and straight is a better approach.

OK GUYS, KILL IT!

Views: 1517

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

No worries man. I'm trying to get him to check out this sight. should be cool. I'll send you a friend request.

Wow, this thread is full of butthurt people who just don't want to believe that there are alternative ways of thinking. Also, it seems that nobody has ever thrown an understable driver like a Westside King or a Skyquest Medusa. Maybe nobody here actually plays disc golf.

Definitely there is some narrow mindedness going on here and a lot of repeating stuff with absolutely no proof. What happened to the scientific method where propositions get tested? Maybe disc golfers just believe things because they get repeated and not because there is any proof of any kind.

I know that I will be using and enjoying my drivers. That is because I took the time to learn how to throw them and I know what they do. Why do people hate drivers so much anyway? If you learn how to throw them you can make some incredible shots. That is if you aren't wasting too much time with the mids and putters.

Shouting in print is impressive, but it doesn't make you right. You can call whomever you like, I do believe Mr. Ellis already said that he doesn't know of any top pros that started that way.

With your methodology you would be starting over and over and over, and you'd get so frickin bored in the begining you'd quit. That jump from mids to drivers is going to be a killer too, the grip and feel is so different. Also you've been used to thin rimmed discs and putting lots of air under them to get them out there, andthn when you do that on a driver, ugly ugly ugly.

Do you throw a driver yet?

It may be that some people are intimidated by, or they just can't throw a driver. I know guys that tell new players to throw mids because they don't want the new guy to get better than them for a while. I too will be out enjoying my warpseed drivers, hitting lines than no way in hell you can consitantly.

+1 to the understable drivers bit. My best distance comes from a set of  Westside Kings that I flip pretty darn hard. Guess what, if I overtorque or turn my wrist over, it's going deep in the woods! Understable drivers teach good form.

I'm with you Andrew, I learned by using understable drivers, just not quite so fast. Everyone is different and there are tons of ways to learn. Its just this automatic dogma that putters and mids are the ONLY way to go.

I remember when i started i got myself a TB and a Birdie putter cuz tyhats what i could aford for a sport i was unsure of.

after a few rounds i picked up a gator mid as sugested by the guy at the disc shop. I found that if i wanted to keep up with the others that i was plaing with that i had to throw my driver cuz it went further if i threw my mid it would not go as far. So yes my form sucked but i found that if i wanted to get the disc out further i needed a faster driver, so i got one. fro a long time i was reluctant to use my mid, it justwas too much to grasp at first. After a wile i picked up a buzzz and i could bomb that sucker! it must have been all that practice form throwing drvers...

P.S. i just got beat in a match by 2 guys that only tomohawked thier innova groves the whole round they even putted with them...

:0 Tomahawking a Groove for a Whole round and putting with them? That is getting to know your disc!!

OK, enough of picking sides. Truth is both sides are right! My daughters boyfriend has picked up disc golf and digs it. Now since he's athletic as heck. I gave him a Vision, Stiker, Pain, Buzzz, and a Aviar. He's tossing very well for a noob. Now when I took my daughter out I gave her a Leopard, Buzzz, and an Aviar. In her case she ended up playing with the Buzzz 90% of the time, because that's what worked best for her. As for her boyfriend...NO MORE lessons for him! He's already tossing that Vison pretty darn good.

So instead of blanket statement. Lets be open minded to the many ways there are to reach a goal and you don't have to be a bunch of babies about it too. Get over yourselves!

Oh, and by the way Dookie is right..lol!!!

Lol. Preach on Brother Rescue! PREACH ON! :)

For my first couple years of tourney play I always lost to a guy who used an Avenger and a Viper.  All thumbers, then putts with whichever disc he approached with.  Drove me nuts, I'd have to weave through the trees, he just cranked up a big thumber right over the top and dropped onto the pin. 

It may be that this discussion misses the point.  If the point is the best way to learn the game then the answer may not be to avoid drivers or to embrace them (though obviously both sides have their entrenched advocates), the answer might be closer to this:

Practice diligently and play with good players.

I think everyone agrees that there are individual differences between players and that no single form or style or grip or disc is universally the best choice.  Over time, from observing many players start the game and develop to the point where they reach their level, I have noticed that the players who reach the higher levels tend to:

Practice diligently and play with good players.

The term "practice" (aside from the Allen Iverson rant) as used here is a broader one.  One way to practice is to go out to a field with a stack of discs.  Another way is to play round after round after round.  The field may the faster, surer way to practice but playing rounds is a form of practice which slowly teaches skills too.  Many players do not practice in the field (or hardly ever) but still progress from the practice they get during rounds.

I have seen many players with poor form (even comically terrible form) who over time modified their form to become more traditional and effective, merely due to playing with and observing good players.  Think about a beginning player with the classic, hyzer-only form (bent forward at the waist, arm swing low to high, no follow through).  Without the influence of (and exposure to) good players a beginner might stick to this form indefinitely, relying on understable discs to try to shape shots.

In the long run whether a player goes to the discing down approach or not, diligently practicing and playing with good players will make you a better player.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968