www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

not that I feel I'm in that group, but playing since '88 I remember disc golf differently back then.

I remember my first tournaments, I guess they were really mini's, but to me they were tournaments.

only cost a few bucks, and when you won you got plastic, from some dudes trunk.

and it was always cool because there were no disc golf stores that I knew of in the area, so all the plastic seemed new and amazing.

everyone hung around to see who won. and congratulated the winners. there would be a CTP if any ties.

I'd like to hear from the old timers about any fond memories about the way it was "back then " from their perspective.

Views: 8

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

1978 going to college in Grand Rapids Michigan was when/where I found my first game of golf. A classmate drug me to a school that had an object course laid out....played 2 or 3 times that year....mostly catch for a few years til I played my first tournament in the late 80's....been playing tournaments ever since...Got my 3 kids following me to alot of the tournaments now...my how times change...

Bart

www.DiscGolfFLyMart.com
Channel Z said:
1978 going to college in Grand Rapids Michigan was when/where I found my first game of golf. A classmate drug me to a school that had an object course laid out....played 2 or 3 times that year....mostly catch for a few years til I played my first tournament in the late 80's....been playing tournaments ever since...Got my 3 kids following me to alot of the tournaments now...my how times change...

Bart

www.DiscGolfFLyMart.com

Hello Bart,

I get discs from you on eBay, occasionally, my username there is glassminer.....

Nice to see you are here.....

Rod.....
I don't know if I fully qualify as an old timer but here goes.... I'm only 23 years old but have been playing most my life. I have many photos of myself in the late 80's with Frisbees. I didn't pick up Disc Golf until I started to Middle School. You have to walk through Westmoreland Disc Golf Course to get to Jefferson Middle School. I was immediately drawn to the players out there during the summer of 1995.

My first disc was a Typhoon because the stamp made me believe it was wind-proof, lol. I had tried Cyclones and X-clones, pretty much whatever people let me try. Soon I started throwing Vipers, Whippets, Ravens, and Beaded Gazelles. Of course Rocs and Aviars were still prevalent. I remember when most of the modern discs started coming out. It was an exciting time to have these new molds and names make it up north. I was able to develop my skills right with the technology. They made the Banshee and Eagle with the Teebird and Firebird to soon follow. When the Valkyrie was released I remember picking up at least 50 feet. I truly fell in love with Innova Plastic during those days. Thanks again to all you guys at the factory who take care of me so well. Ahhh memories. Cheers

Andrew Rich
Roots Roc Reggae
www.purediscgolf.com
Steve Simpson said:
We had some of the largest Disc Golf tournaments in the country back then and got to know a lot of the old players like Tom Monroe, Lavonne Wolf, Johnny Sias etc..

{cough} Anybody else come to mind? {cough}
It's none of those guys, but you are getting warmer.

mr ed said:
hey now, the mind IS a terrible thing to lose.So many cobwebs in that great attic memory to sort through.Three great names,but which one?Perhaps Fred.The mystery builds.
Chuck Kennedy said:
There's no #0 or -1 in the current PDGA database. So I'm thinking maybe -1 might have been a ceremonial number Steady Ed granted to Fred Morrison the Pluto Platter inventor or possibly Spud Melin or Rich Knerr founders of Wham-O?
I was talking to Steve, not you Svenska Forbundet boy.

Swamptoy said:
Nope
Bill Burns said:
Steve Simpson said:
We had some of the largest Disc Golf tournaments in the country back then and got to know a lot of the old players like Tom Monroe, Lavonne Wolf, Johnny Sias etc..

{cough} Anybody else come to mind? {cough}
I play with Disc more than 20 years.
I have done the ultimate, but the most periods are Discgolf.
I met various friends in that and was able to meet the person of other countries.
When I began it, I threw heavy Disc in Japan.
I have been taught it by Crazy John.
Bucci

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968