www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

not that I feel I'm in that group, but playing since '88 I remember disc golf differently back then.

I remember my first tournaments, I guess they were really mini's, but to me they were tournaments.

only cost a few bucks, and when you won you got plastic, from some dudes trunk.

and it was always cool because there were no disc golf stores that I knew of in the area, so all the plastic seemed new and amazing.

everyone hung around to see who won. and congratulated the winners. there would be a CTP if any ties.

I'd like to hear from the old timers about any fond memories about the way it was "back then " from their perspective.

Views: 8

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I too started in the late 80s and there was a couple of old timers back then that used Kittyawks for putters and I would jokingly ask the guys to use them so I could erase my score on the scorecard. Those things were like erasers.

Those were the days.
hey now,Bill I have to admit defeat in guessing the name of the early DG'er to hold the negative number.Seems that no one else knows either,so you'll have to post the answer.Thanks and a Merry Christmas.Peace

Bill Burns said:
Close, but Dan "Stork" Roddick is #3. Rutgers, huh? Were you a spectator at the 1982 World Frisbee Championships (WFC) held at Rutgers?

mr ed said:
hey now,Jersey boy frrom Rutgers University.I'll think of his name in a minute..."Stork' Riidick.

Bill Burns said:
I have an old DGA brochure from the late 1970s that features the VA Beach course, and has a pic of the course sign in it. It also has a picture of PDGA # -1 putting with what looks like a lid. You are a real old timer (or mini collector) if you know who PDGA minus 1 is. Any takers?
When I started, if a tee shot needed to go left to right, the hole was considered a "righty" hole.
Is It John Kirkland, i know he was the first World Frisbee Games Champion

mr ed said:
hey now,Bill I have to admit defeat in guessing the name of the early DG'er to hold the negative number.Seems that no one else knows either,so you'll have to post the answer.Thanks and a Merry Christmas.Peace

Bill Burns said:
Close, but Dan "Stork" Roddick is #3. Rutgers, huh? Were you a spectator at the 1982 World Frisbee Championships (WFC) held at Rutgers?

mr ed said:
hey now,Jersey boy frrom Rutgers University.I'll think of his name in a minute..."Stork' Riidick.

Bill Burns said:
I have an old DGA brochure from the late 1970s that features the VA Beach course, and has a pic of the course sign in it. It also has a picture of PDGA # -1 putting with what looks like a lid. You are a real old timer (or mini collector) if you know who PDGA minus 1 is. Any takers?
I went to Balboa Park, in San Diego, in the early 80's, & saw some guys tossing frisbees, not at each other, but at these weird baskets with chains on them.....

I came back with a standard disc & started playing the course. The old discs didn't cut the wind very well & were prone to flying off course in a slight breeze, & would bounce off the baskets & chains. I brought my friends back with me & it became something we frequently enjoyed.....

I stopped after I left the Navy & moved to Los Angeles.....

One day I drove passed Polly Wog Park in Manhattan Beach, saw the baskets, & had to bring back my sons to play.....

I started looking up the equipment on the web & was amazed at the way technology has been applied to design & materials.....

We now have many discs, practice baskets & go out as a family to play.....
Nope, John Kirkland is IFA and PDGA #100
I played Fritz. I still have a Texas Thunder Areo I found in the creek while searching for my disc
/body>
There's no #0 or -1 in the current PDGA database. So I'm thinking maybe -1 might have been a ceremonial number Steady Ed granted to Fred Morrison the Pluto Platter inventor or possibly Spud Melin or Rich Knerr founders of Wham-O?
Baskets?
Remember in the late 80's making baskets out of 50 gallon drums, donated from Hawaiian Tropic.
Been to Daytona when the barrels were there?
I started competeing in 1976, when I was still in high school, and ended up winning the Illinois State Flying Disc Championships, Amateur division in 1982, when I was 21. We started with Midnight Flyers, just regular discs made heavier with glow plastic, which is denser. The thing I liked the most was that you had to make the shot with the couple of discs you had, not like now when guys carry 20+ discs in their bags, and they have a disc for every shot - right turn, left turn, straight. I'd like to see more 1-disc tournaments, or the new "Super-Class" tournaments take off. The "old days" were more skill-dependent, and less equipment-dependent. I have had some of my best rounds when I take out 1 driver, 1 mid-range and a putter - try it sometime! The game goes much faster and is much simpler.
hey now, the mind IS a terrible thing to lose.So many cobwebs in that great attic memory to sort through.Three great names,but which one?Perhaps Fred.The mystery builds.
Chuck Kennedy said:
There's no #0 or -1 in the current PDGA database. So I'm thinking maybe -1 might have been a ceremonial number Steady Ed granted to Fred Morrison the Pluto Platter inventor or possibly Spud Melin or Rich Knerr founders of Wham-O?
I started throwing Frisbee's while in the Army at Ft Bragg. I started the original Louisville Frisbee disc Club in 1979. I got to play several rounds with Ed Headrick while he was in Louisville in '82. We had some of the largest Disc Golf tournaments in the country back then and got to know a lot of the old players like Tom Monroe, Lavonne Wolf, Johnny Sias etc. It is amazing how much the sport has grown since then. The youngsters sure have it better than we did at the beginning. I'm looking forward to the Super Class tournanments to begin, it should be a lot of fun. I know it will make players appreciate the plastic we have today.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968