www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

When I first started playing, I got the usual discs people get: a putter, a mid, and a couple long distance drivers. I quickly realized that I could not throw the long distance drivers good and either shelved them, traded them, sold them or gave them away. I have been playing for a couple of years now with fairway drivers being my longest distance discs and I feel it is finally time to step back up to some long distance drivers. my question is, what would be good long distance driver pairings? I would like to have a disc that is slightly overstable and a disc that is slightly understable in the same speed, like i have with my fairway drivers (Striker and River). I was looking at a Star Wraith-Star Archon combo, because they are practically the same disc but one being slightly overstable and the other being slightly understable. I do not like really wide rims, so I think speed 11 is as fast as I will go. any suggestions for different pairings or thoughts and on the two discs I am thinking about getting? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance

Views: 557

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm not sure how far I can get with my speed tens

Can u explain that theory

Well if you are pushing out a speed 10 to 350, that's not bad distance. I know some people can bomb those speed discs and I can as well, but that is not a bad distance for a speed 10 disc.

This Innova chart shows some distances on average. Some can push then out over 400 but the average could be 350.  http://www.augustadiscgolf.com/info/Driver_Selection_Chart.pdf.

Basically I am saying you are on par distance wise it seems with the average player, and thus a faster disc should achieve more distance for you in theory not taking into account your particular snap and form.

Yeah, I was just wondering why the 13 speed disc would fly farther if I threw it the same w good form. I previously didn't feel like I had enough arm for the 13 speed discs but I did find that I throw the groove pretty well w a nice flex. I'll have to see if I consistently throw it farther than my slower drivers. Thx for the info :)

Star Orc

Star Beast

Star Valkyrie

Star Roadrunner

All these are almost the same rim width, so it is easy to change stability without having much difference in grip and feel in the hand.  Why make it more complicated than it needs to be.  Learn to throw one of these well, and you can throw them all well.

Those four discs cover about 80% of my drives.  I play a lot of tight wooded courses where precision is more valuable than distance.  I occasionally do throw Wraiths and Katanas and Destroyers for maximum distance on more forgiving fairways, but the wide-rimmed drivers are definitely tougher to learn and less precise for me.

New Z-NUKE

Beat ESP-NUKE

Nuff said.

A nice stable star Valk (preferrably a proto star!!), they don't have a big rim, hold a line well without being too flippy.  The flight numbers might be what you are looking for.  A nice CFR Glow Champ Roadrunner is also a good choice, they are a touch more stable, especially in the slow speed hyzer out, than a regular Roadie.   Works well in a tailwind without becoming too flippy, and has the right rim and flight numbers!! 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968