www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Since we are walking a potential very loooong new course later today (yes, snowy and cold out) I am wondering what the longest holes in disc golf are right now.

The Monster Hole at Hudson Mills is 1,038-feet long. What are the other really long holes? Would you be drawn to come and play a course that had "the longest hole" on it?

Views: 420

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

i believe it's more difficult to design super-long holes that are truly good golf holes. when i played the monster at ann arbor worlds i was not impressed by that hole at all- landing zones were not well defined and "good" and "bad" shots were basically rewarded the same unless you found yourself behind one of the fairly random trees.

i have a 975 foot hole at hawk hollow, there is a 1000 foot hole on a course in newport news, there is a 1000 foot heavily wooded hole at iron hill in delaware- none of these are even close to being the best holes on those courses.

it would be the quality of the hole which would lead me to judge it one way or another, not just sheer length.
Hole 8 at Pleasant Hill in Scarborough Maine is 1108 feet to the "pro" pin. It's the longest hole in the state, easily.

As far as being drawn to a course that had "the longest hole"...I don't think I'd go out of my way to play a course just because of any one hole. Sure it might be a drawing point or a highlight, but I'm there to play all the holes, not just the "longest". If the "longest" hole is accompanied by some other kick-ass holes, I'm there. For example, I'm not going to Rock Hill to play Winthrop just for the 1000+ foot Lake hole. I'm going to play "888", I'm going to play hole 17 and hole 8 and hole 3, etc. If Winthrop was the Lake hole and 17 other blah holes, I wouldn't bother.

And even the "longest" holes need to be interesting to me. The distance involved should not be the only notable quality of the hole. There's got to be more to it than "it's the longest ever". OB danger, placement shots through woods, etc. 1000 feet across an open field becomes less golf and more distance contest and that's boring.
#8 Redstone Arsenal - Huntsville, Alabama is 1167' in the long position, 822' in the short postition. Monster hole, slight dogleg right with a mando left about 200' from the pad. OB along the left all the way to the basket. Killer!
Some of the longest holes are/were those on ball golf courses. When you consider BG holes over 500 yards are common par 5s, it's not hard to have 1200 ft and longer DG holes on those routes. Ben has played the longest hole used in Worlds competition - the par 6 at Highbridge at over 1300 ft preceded by two more woodsy par 5s earlier in that 9 holes at "just" 850 and 930.
I played a private course in VA on a guy's cattle farm... hole 1 from the pro tees is a little over 1060'... I think there is also one in Orlando and I think Turkey Lake Park that's also 1050'... Those are the only long holes I can recall playing...
that cattle farm would be timber ridge outside of bedford. virginia's best courses are all on cattle farms. (hawk hollow is too)
I really enjoy playing long holes. I would probably try and play the course with the longest hole if I was within a reasonable travel distance, just to say I did. More than likely it wouldn't stand for long when someone builds another one or streatches their longest hole 20 feet further. I love The Monster, some of my buddies will play the am pad on that hole, but I always play it from the longs. If you are there, why not?
Milo McIver in Estacada, OR #23 is 1187 running along a river. One of the best courses in the US.
Rennaissance Gold Course in Charlotte NC Hole 11 is 1042 feet. I wouldnt just go for the long hole, I normally go to a course if its on the way somewhere or came in town for a tournament.
#15 at Idlewild in Burlington, Kentucky is 1001 feet. Yes it's long, but it was the placement on the basket that makes the hole. The creek in front and the area behind is all OB.
I don't think I'd be drawn to a course because of a long hole. I'm drawn out of curiosity and the challenge of the course. Placement of the basket makes a big difference.
We can EASILY make a 1,400+ ft hole at Lakeshore. It will be open-ish, nothing we can do about that it was a golf course. Could be a fence running the left side, some spaced out trees on the right (about 150' wide fairway) and near the end a small hill then 3 wide pines to shoot between to a basket between 2 small scraggly trees. Big arms will have to keep it in the middle, mainly on the 2nd shot, and still contend with the narrow approach from any angle for the upshot.
we "had" some pretty long ones up at RED HAWK , in FL , over 900 for a couple easy, but that course is close now, Im sure as some ppl have heard, now we need a new home for the Players Cup... :(

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968