www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Lower back hurts from ripping backhands.  anyone else suffer from this? have any suggestions to strengthen the area?

Views: 1

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

i've had that before when i was really learning my technique for my back hand, but there are some excercises that do strengthen it. the dead lift is good as well as hang-clings.
I get it more from extreme putting sessions.
Pilates is the key also mix in some yoga. After you play, ice up your back to reduce swelling as well. You can most likely get some excersises off the internet. The reason I suggest pilates. Is it works the small muscle groups (stableizer muscle) as well as the larger groups.
I have experienced a little, nothing residual. It hurts a little immediately after a poor formed ripper.

I agree with Reid, we just gotta tighten up that form a little.
Don't ask where I heard it, but get your abs in shape. For some reason, I heard that helps reduce back problems.
If it is a simple strain then treat it with Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation (immobilization in the case of the back.) I don't hesitate to take an NSAID like ibuprofen or naproxen when it hurts. Sometimes when mine is more severe or doesn't respond to RICE then I contact my chiropractor. This usually does it but, sometimes it may take repeat visits and sometimes a therapy massage. If it takes more than 3 visits to a chiropractor, then you probably should see an Osteopath, you could have something more serious than sore muscles or a strain.

Once the pain subsides, Rescue is on the right track. Pilates for core strength and daily stretching, especially before throwing should keep you strong and loose.
I hear that!
yup, I think you're right. I asked my old lady who's a nurse and she said the same thing. I found a great machine in the gym that works a similar rotating motion used in a backhand throw.
telling ya, Pilates kicks a$$. You'll be huddled in the corner sucking you thumb and begging for mercy. After going to PT after my millionth back injury, I tried Pialates. I was pain free for almost a year, before I lifted one patient to many and had to call it quits.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

2014 ACE RACE PLAYER PACKS ?

Posted by James Banevicz on November 23, 2014 at 4:41pm

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968