www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I was wondering what everyone does to manage nervous energy during tournaments? I basically threw away any chance of winning in the first seven holes due to having too much nervous energy ( +12 after 7). I've heard from a few people that they use headphones to drown out the negative voices in their heads and relax or get in the zone. I will probably use this in my next tourney. Anyone else have any helpful tips?

Views: 357

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for all these great suggestions guys. I recently played my first tournament and threw one of the worst rounds I've ever thrown on the course. I don't know what it was, if I was trying too hard or over thinking things or what, but hopefully it was just the first tournament jitters and it won't happen again. I'll try to use some of these tips in the next tournament I play

I will be playing a lot more tourneys this year so hopefully soon ill be comfortable w the added pressure. I enjoy meeting new people.... Most everyone has been super laid back and fun... So maybe more humor can take the edge off too. This has been the case later in the tourney. Usually after the 1st round, but gotta relax sooner.
Thx :)

put the beer muscles away, trying too hard to impress others will hurt in alot of sports 

After many years of tournaments, my nervousness has dwindled down to the first throw.  My strategy is to hope to start on a routine/forgiving/or/luck-biased hole so that first drive doesn't do too much damage.

Try to get the nerves out right away or as soon as possible. Have Fun with your Game and be Happy.

Yeah I've definitely learned to relax and enjoy the round but I still felt that Damn nervous energy everytime I stepped up for a throw. I remember one upshot I stepped up to that was an easy straight 125 ft shot and I was saying to myself... Nice and easy... And then I just ripped it right online but about 35 ft long. Boo... Reminds me a little of happy Gilmore.... Just give it a lil tappy. Lol

The "Rowden rule"states your first few throws arn't going to be as controled as the rest.Throw them softer and safer.

It took me about two years of tournaments to get over that. I still get nerves of course, but at least I don't feel like I'm in a bad dream and something horrible has taken over my body. It helps me to get a good pre-game warm up. I like to get out there early, throw some bad shots, then some good ones. It feels like everyone is watching!  Stretch out, putt for like 20 min. Don't be shy, get out there and get ready, get the nerves out!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968