www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

How come some people only play for a couple years then lose interest? And how do ya keep people in to it?

Views: 537

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Many of the people I've  known who came and went over the years, went due to life changes.  Marriage, kids, job changes, injuries, aging, other activities taking up increasing time, meeting new friends who don't play, etc.

It's true. Most people aren't insane like you or I. They have lives and don't schedule there lives around disc golf like we do. We on the other hand are bonkers. 

Don't take offense but maybe they still play just not with you. I have a big arm and play well and some of my friends just do not like playing with me, but they still play. I'm not a d-bag or anything but I can play a lot better then some friends.

Some just don't play well and lose interest because of that.

After 2 years "most" people tend to max out on skill level. I see alot of people drop there amount of play way down after they quit getting better at any sport. 

I should qualify my viewpoint from the perspective that the players I've been acquainted with are the ones who play local league play and tournament play.  The ones who play more casually, mostly just with their friends, may tend to drift off for other reasons.

I started in the mid 1990s and when I run into players I played with 10 or 15 years ago who no longer play, it's almost always life changes, not burnout or plateauing, that they mention. 

I've been playing for 11 years and in the past two years I have decided to get more involve by designing and building new courses. As much as I like to play and design courses, the "getting more involved" approach has left me burned out and a little jaded. A lot people talk big game and say that want to step up their involvement, but when it comes time to put their money where their mouth is they are no where to be found. It's a little disheartening and I think it's also the reason why our sport is where it is in regards to exposure. Too many people playing for themselves and not enough people working to grow, maintain, and cultivate the sport. 

LOL----Burnout among disc golf workers---club officers, course workers, TDs, etc.---is all-too-common.

No excuse! The game is free, fun, and fantastic! I think people are lazy most of the time. No one answered the second question I asked. But I will give it a whack. Um......(10 minutes of thinking).  How about more events, with no expectations. Just flood the community with disc golf propaganda and event schedules. Even when people start to fade out(into the back of thier sofas) they may catch some of this paper and give it another go!! When they dont show up, oh well.

Our area is flooded with events now. 

For those whom life changes have caused them to drift away, it's hard to imagine how to bring them back.

Though for those who settled down and had families, the growing number of kid-friendly courses may help.   

Allow me to answer your second question with a question: Why should I, or anyone else, try to keep someone into it when their inclination is to move on?  I've seen a lot of people come and go over 34 years, myself included.  Most have legitimate reasons.  As to the rest, I try to be nonjudgmental about whether a person should or should not be throwing frisbees.  If you're diabetic and I care about you, I might be judgmental about whether you are taking your insulin and observing your diet, but there just is not anyone to whom I can say, "Hey, you should be throwing frisbees.  Are you nuts?"

I am right there with you D.  I have been the trout swimming upstream and getting um, well you know, and then never having an offspring.  It looks like I am on my way out.

There is only so much a person can take from people who only take take take, and then talk talk talk.

I told a good friend of mine tonight that I would rather watch my son play tee ball than the have to deal with a bunch of b*tching grown folks who do nothing.  I think that is where I will probably be the next time my state's election comes around.

Change and Bruce Brakel's post.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968