www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I found this letter amongst some historical papers related to the disc world today and was astounded by what I read. This is a very historic document about Disc Golf that went out the the disc players of the time. What do you think. I just read it and said "WOW".

Tags: disc golf, ed headrick, historic, ifa, old school, pdga, whamo

Views: 23

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I can feel his frustration as I read that. What a cool piece of history.
Thanks for the read!!!
WOW. Very touching how serious is his love for the game. EAT BREATH AND SLEEP WITH IT! Hell yeah. And yes, he will always be PDGA member #001. Wow, only 100 courses nationwide? Michigan has 100 some today and the number continues to rise as the years go by. This was an awesome read. It gives me a little more (if its even possible) passion for my sport. GO DISC GOLF GO
Wow what a fun read. I love Ed's passion.
Passion for sure.
Cool !!!!!
Wow great reading and what a fantastic part of disc golf history. Ed's passion for the sport is unmeasurable. He truly is #001.
He is one of the reasons this game wasn't allowed to be cut to pieces as this letter suggest was wanton. His passion and integrity allowed the game we all love to rise above the misgivings of the few who lacked the same passion and integrity.
I am so very thankful to Steady Ed for his vision, and because of it, this game is now one of my passions.
Thanks Ed, you da man!
Thanks Donny for posting this. I played this game for over twenty years and learned more about it's history today.
I too, was astounded by what I read. Please post more if you find them.
I bet he had to get a new type writer tape after that letter. I think I can smell that one smoking.
Donny that is AMAZING! Thank you thank you thank you for a great read, that really should be preserved and sent to the IDGC-- the history of disc golf isn't all doobies and rainbows.

Also, it's kind of distressing to see how much HAS NOT changed; issues over what the PDGA really represents, wham-o's trademark as a barrier to wide-spread recognition and getting sponsors.

Yes Ed, people do make a living at this now, and some people a pretty good one, but incidents like Red Hawk show that maybe the passion for the sport and desire to grow the sport just isn't as prevalent as it once was- even though it was founded by stoners.
I find it interesting that at that time, players could only use discs manufactured by the sponsor. Imagine if that were the case at the US Amateur (Discraft) or USDGC (Innova). Innova does restrict the discs used in their "Huck across the lake" to Innova stock provided for the players. But it's the only place I can recall seeing that restriction in the 20 years I've been involved in the game. Most people probably haven't noticed but for the past several years Innova has usually persuaded the hosts to use their baskets in Worlds Final 9s since they have usually been the largest sponsor.

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968