www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I found this letter amongst some historical papers related to the disc world today and was astounded by what I read. This is a very historic document about Disc Golf that went out the the disc players of the time. What do you think. I just read it and said "WOW".

Tags: disc golf, ed headrick, historic, ifa, old school, pdga, whamo

Views: 23

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for sharing that piece of history. It's always amazing to see how much has changed and at the same time how much really hasn't changed at all!
Very informative reading, indeed! Cheers & Thanks, Dendog

Donnie Brooks, Mini Disc Golf Federation said:

It's nice to see a document that shows the close relationship between the IFA and the early PDGA. Because Ed left Wham-O to start DGA and disc golf was not able to use the name "Frisbee," a lot of people have the mistaken idea that Wham-O turned it's back on disc golf from the beginning. Wham-O didn't turn it's back to disc golf until the Kransco takeover in '83. This letter shows how involved they were.

It's also interesting that the organization outlined in Doug Newland's letter more closely mirrors todays PDGA than the organization Ed describes. Not that I have a point with that, since drawing any conclusion from that would be completely out of context. It's just...interesting.
Thank you Donnie,

This was a great read and an interesting look into the history of our game.
I also read that in the pencecola tourney that a female contestant decided to play the back 9 holes topless. These players were out of control. The comments made here seem to be right on with some of the other current day problems being discussed on this site. Some Disc Golfers and Frisbee players are just having way too much fun and not being very serious about the sport. We cannot grow to main stream with these attitudes. I am one who likes to be serious, but at the same time I like to have appropriate fun when the time comes. Our sport has been hindered and will continue to be hindered as long as this type of misconduct continues. Drug Testing For All Cashing Pros? Drug Testing For All Top Ams? Who knows. Maybe this is what is needed to bring the cream to the top and Disc Golfs Reputaion to become something other than a STONER SPORT.
Doesn't seem to be hurting snowboarding, does it? Although there are probably less topless people on the slopes in winter...

Donnie Brooks, Mini Disc Golf Federation said:
I also read that in the pencecola tourney that a female contestant decided to play the back 9 holes topless. These players were out of control. The comments made here seem to be right on with some of the other current day problems being discussed on this site. Some Disc Golfers and Frisbee players are just having way too much fun and not being very serious about the sport. We cannot grow to main stream with these attitudes. I am one who likes to be serious, but at the same time I like to have appropriate fun when the time comes. Our sport has been hindered and will continue to be hindered as long as this type of misconduct continues. Drug Testing For All Cashing Pros? Drug Testing For All Top Ams? Who knows. Maybe this is what is needed to bring the cream to the top and Disc Golfs Reputaion to become something other than a STONER SPORT.
Is snowboarding a stoner sport? I do not know. I am too brittle to do that much intense stuff on ice and snow. I really enjoy watching it though and the participants are very good at what they do. How can Disc Golfers turn that into what we do?
This is a great find, and definitely should be passed onto the PDGA/IDGC so all disc golfers can read it. Thanks Donnie!

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968